Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 56
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244

    Transforming a Slash

    I have an xmaxx and a couple of trx-4... since these purchases, my slash as been sitting on the shelf not doing very much.
    I thought of selling it or breaking it down and selling for parts, but either way, with all the upgrades it breaks my heart to sell at so far under value.

    So my question is this; have any of you transformed your slash into something else? I wouldn't mind a new project... Can it be turned into a monster truck?

    Send me pictures, I need some inspiration

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,884
    If your looking more for a scale monster truck instead of just a simple tire/wheel and body swap, take a look at MaXDee's build:


    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...uot-MaX-D-quot

    The Slash 4x4 is very versatile and can pull off many looks.

    Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I am looking for more than just tire swap ( did that just to get my Mashers on there)

    That build is crazy! Really nice result, but I am hoping to stay on the same chassis... I don't have the same skills as MaxD lol

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,884
    You can run all (or most) of the parts on a stock chassis (not sure about HCG or LCG).
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    So my question is this; have any of you transformed your slash into something else? I wouldn't mind a new project... Can it be turned into a monster truck?
    Slash 4x4 Monster Truck conversions are quite common. There aren't really any hard rules, since it's a custom vehicle at that point. Consider that most of the parts are interchangeable between the Slash 4x4 and the Stampede 4x4. In addition to Monster-Truck sized wheels, you can also swap the bumpers from the Slash 4x4 to Stampede 4x4 bumpers/wheelie bars.


  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    608
    The sky is the limit with the slash 4x4

    My go-to basher





    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 03-05-2020 at 03:29 PM.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    This used to be my slash 4 x 4. This is one of the funnest trucks that I have to drive

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If your looking more for a scale monster truck instead of just a simple tire/wheel and body swap, take a look at MaXDee's build:


    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...uot-MaX-D-quot

    The Slash 4x4 is very versatile and can pull off many looks.

    Good luck and have fun!
    You beat me to it by a few hours. Thank you my friend. I didn't see that you had posted a link to my build. I didn't read through the whole thread, just read the OPs initial post

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MaXDee; 03-05-2020 at 04:34 PM.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    You beat me to it by a few hours. Thank you my friend. I didn't see that you had posted a link to my build. I didn't read through the whole thread, just read the OPs initial post

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    #1 those tires are sick... definitely going that route!

    #2 I assume the body is completely custom would a stampede body fit on your build?

    #3 out of all the mods you did, which were personal preference and which were a necessity to being a monster truck?



    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    #1 those tires are sick... definitely going that route!

    #2 I assume the body is completely custom would a stampede body fit on your build?

    #3 out of all the mods you did, which were personal preference and which were a necessity to being a monster truck?



    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    #1 Yes, those wheels and tires will definitely give it a more scale monster truck look. They're bigger than they look.

    #2 the body is actually an Axial smt10 body. I found it on eBay for $30 just how you see it. They also have Grave Digger. A stampede body will not fit. It is too small. Look for a jconcepts, or Pro-Line Monster Truck Body with a wheelbase of 12.7".

    #3 personal preference: I wanted a rear shock Tower in the front so I could run rear shocks for more shock travel. I actually tried the smaller front shocks first. It worked, but the rear shocks up front work better.

    MaX-D body......of course! My favorite monster truck, hence my screen name.

    Proline body mounts. I spray painted the proline locking nuts silver to blend in with the body. I hate body Clips anyway.

    Necessity: the only real necessity you need to make these big old wheels and tires work is the jconcepts C-hubs. They are designed specifically for the wheels so they don't rub. Stock will not work!

    You don't need these, but I highly recommend getting the aluminum 25 mm hex inserts for the wheels. They're not cheap, but you will not be stripping out hex inserts. And definitely use aluminum hexes. Although I use slash serrated wheel nuts , I put a dab of blue Loctite on the stub axle to keep them on. If you beat on the truck like I do, they have a tendency to work themselves loose.
    It's pretty cool when a wheel pops off the truck and goes rolling across the ground just like they do in Monster Jam, but that seems to happen often if you don't use the Loctite.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Really appreciate all the info!!
    Picked up a Proline 1966 Ford F100 today (12'7" wheelbase.)
    Checked 2 shops today and they didn't have anything close to those tires
    Gonna look into ordering direct from JConcepts...

    Will keep you updated

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Really appreciate all the info!!
    Picked up a Proline 1966 Ford F100 today (12'7" wheelbase.)
    Checked 2 shops today and they didn't have anything close to those tires
    Gonna look into ordering direct from JConcepts...

    Will keep you updated

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Good deal. Can't wait to see your build!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Anything else needed for wheels?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Anything else needed for wheels?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    These.

    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/traxx...r-caster-block

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Out of stock on their site as well as amainhobby
    Would these by Traxxas work? They look pretty similar.
    Also note, I currently have aluminium steering blocks. I assume that shouldn't matter?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Out of stock on their site as well as amainhobby
    Would these by Traxxas work? They look pretty similar.
    Also note, I currently have aluminium steering blocks. I assume that shouldn't matter?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    The stock Traxxas will not work. But these Hot Racing ones might work based on the shape. They are very similar to the jconcepts.

    https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SLF1901;c=480

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    It took a lot of searching, and even more waiting on the package, but it has finally arrived... time to build

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    It took a lot of searching, and even more waiting on the package, but it has finally arrived... time to build

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    SWEET! That is exactly what I used for my Max-D Build. You are also going to need rear shocks for the front as the front shock Tower is the same size as a rear shock Tower.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I have this on order to receive this week:

    2x 3762A Ultra Shocks (grey) (xx-long) (complete w/ spring pre-load spacers & springs) (rear) (2)
    1x 2017 Ford Raptor Body (Clear / Requires Painting)

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I can't wait to get the tires... I ordered them from Amain but through my LHS, and my LHS is closed due to COVID19

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    I have this on order to receive this week:

    2x 3762A Ultra Shocks (grey) (xx-long) (complete w/ spring pre-load spacers & springs) (rear) (2)
    1x 2017 Ford Raptor Body (Clear / Requires Painting)

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    It looks like you're good to go. I just saw a Trigger King video on YouTube that the guy said that use E6000 to glue their tires on to the rims and not actual tire glue, that way if they ever want to take the tires off of the rim they can. I wish I had known that 2 years ago when I built my truck. I would have used E6,000 instead of tire glue.

    Here is a link to my truck build. Don't know if there's any useful information in it but, none the less

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Step 1 - strip and clean everything

    Step 2 - time to finally change these bearings.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,884
    Looks like time for the fun to begin!
    I love tinkering!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  24. #24
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    24
    Nothing advanced here, since that was my first venture into RC so I chose a Monster clear body and some 2.8 tires to make it bigger :-)

    These days, I'm leaning towards a red F-150 for my next body :-)


  25. #25
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Step 1 - strip and clean everything

    Step 2 - time to finally change these bearings.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    This build is going to be fun to watch!

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Yesterday I received the new shocks
    Assembled front with new caster blocks as well as the carbon fiber tower.

    Today, I finally got the tires and wheels... OMG these thing are HUGE will send a pic of those later, I still have to disinfect the packaging and make it all COVID19 free lol

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    NICE! Yeah those tires are bigger in person than they are on a picture on the internet. I had the same reaction when I saw mine in person the first time

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I already had 3 sets of tires for my Slash so here are a few pics to give a good idea of the size.
    Compared to:
    Stock Slash 4x4 tires
    Traxxas paddle tires
    Proline Masher 2.78x4.90

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    It's amazing how the Renegade's dwarf the proline Mashers

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    It's amazing how the Renegade's dwarf the proline Mashers

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Yes, I already considered those to be quite big... not anymore lol

    Recommendation for shock oil? I have 2 choices, the bottle that comes with the shocks( I don't know the weight) or I have some 35k

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Yes, I already considered those to be quite big... not anymore lol

    Recommendation for shock oil? I have 2 choices, the bottle that comes with the shocks( I don't know the weight) or I have some 35k

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    35wt might be a little thin in those Ultra shocks with those Big ole tires. Try it and see how the truck feels, if they're too soft, go up to 40-45wt on all four corners.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Tonight was productive...
    Finished front assembly.
    Rear shock tower completed.
    Wheels and tires assembled. (I went with Renegade tires and PL Clod buster wheels)
    Tires installed.

    Now, I powered on to make sure everything is good and check the steering. On the stand steering is fine, but struggles to return to 0. Once on the ground, no steering.
    I had previously upgraded the stock servo 2075 to 2075X. But that clearly won't cut it.
    I have a spare Traxxas 400 servo and BEC that should do the trick. However, I have only used this on my TRX-4 which has an XL5 esc... Can I use this on my current stock slash XL3 esc?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Yes, you can use the Traxxas 400 servo w/BEC with your current esc. That will be perfect!

    Truck is looking really good. Are you going to use the Traxxas Rally body posts?

    https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-7415X.../dp/B00JNLCRCG

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    I already had extended posts to be able to fit the mashers, so I should be good to stick with those.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    I already had extended posts to be able to fit the mashers, so I should be good to stick with those.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Yeah the proline body mounts is what I used on my truck. I took my Dremel with the sanding drum and sanded them down a bit as the pro lines are a bit too big for the jconcepts body post mount.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,884
    Have you finished painting up the '66 F-100 body yet? Can't wait to see it all together!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  37. #37
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Have you finished painting up the '66 F-100 body yet? Can't wait to see it all together!
    Yes body is painted and since I am actually going to use a Ford Raptor body, I can show you the '66 without ruining the final result lol

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  38. #38
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    24
    @B-stinga,
    Very timely post :-), since I'm considering buying a 79' F150 body... I was wondering: whenever I flip over with my Slash, will the roof not crush at my first run? Or is it quite durable and flexible to absorb the shock?
    With my monster body, everything is quite flat and here, I see quite high windows

  39. #39
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,884
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Yes body is painted and since I am actually going to use a Ford Raptor body, I can show you the '66 without ruining the final result lol
    Noice job mate!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  40. #40
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Watt_The_Wheels View Post
    @B-stinga,
    Very timely post :-), since I'm considering buying a 79' F150 body... I was wondering: whenever I flip over with my Slash, will the roof not crush at my first run? Or is it quite durable and flexible to absorb the shock?
    With my monster body, everything is quite flat and here, I see quite high windows
    I will have to get back to you once the build is done lol
    But I don't imagine it would last with any kind of hard bashing.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •