Thread: First pack in!!

RC Competitor

First pack in!!

I couldnít wait until this weekend and took my new maxx out tonight for its first run on a traxxas 5000 4s pack. The truck runs amazing and took a small beating. I have one question. Is the truck supposed to hesitate for a split second going from cruising to full throttle? Iíve noticed it pauses almost like itís going from full breaks then into reverse, but this is going from partial forward throttle then into full throttle. It happened randomly and only a hand full of times. Iím guessing the esc is some how trying to protect itself from the jolt? I have no idea. Other than that, it was a blast to drive. My larger lst2 e-xxl on 6s isnít as much fun as the maxx. Itís so squirrelly with its short wheel base and massive power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    It might hesitate for a second if there's a center diff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    It might hesitate for a second if there's a center diff.
    Itís completely stock so thereís no center diff.

RC Competitor
    There is a center diff. In the exploded views under transmission you will see it. As for the issue you stating I got some clogging going slow, but nothing once I am moving. Any ideas I have would just be a guess.

Yes your truck does have a center diff. But I don’t know why a center diff would cause hesitation. All that is doing is splitting power between the front and back wheels.

I would try re pairing your transmitter to the receiver and then re calibrating the throttle. I don’t have a maxx but it sounds like some kind of tx/rx/esc issue. There may also be updates that are needed but you need the Bluetooth module for that.

RC Competitor

First pack in!!

You guys are right. I have no idea why I said my maxx didnít have a center diff in my maxx. My mind was somewhere else.

Iíll try recalibrating the tx/rx later today.

Last edited by nrvous1; 03-07-2020 at 08:35 AM.

RC Competitor

First pack in!!

Ok. Recalibrating the radio and esc and man, what a difference. No more weird hesitation and the truck feels a bit faster. Iím wondering if the calibration from the factory wasnít set to 100% throttle/braking? Ran a full pack through it and not a single problem with the truck. Hit a curb at about half throttle and sent the truck flying. Survived with a bunch of scratches and gouges on front, rear, center skid plates and 3 of the 4 lower a arms. Charging my battery now to run it again. Lol.

Quick question, how cool should the battery be before charging it again? I let mine cool down to where itís luke warm to the touch. Is that ok? Is it ok to leave the battery discharged for a few hours? Or, should I try and get it storage charged as soon as I finish running the truck?

Last edited by nrvous1; 03-07-2020 at 11:02 AM.

You can leave the batteries discharged/charged for about a week before putting them on a storage charge according to traxxas. As long as they aren’t hot, I’ve always just thrown them back on the charger if I need to. Slightly warm shouldn’t hurt anything.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    You can leave the batteries discharged/charged for about a week before putting them on a storage charge according to traxxas. As long as they arenít hot, Iíve always just thrown them back on the charger if I need to. Slightly warm shouldnít hurt anything.
    Thanks. I left my battery alone yesterday after my run and ran some errands. Got home a few hours later and fully charged it for todayís run. I also charged my merv batteries (2 - traxxas 2200 2sí). Should be a fun day!!

Good idea to calibrate the throttle, and especially steering on the Maxx.

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Good idea to calibrate the throttle, and especially steering on the Maxx.

Thanks Razor! I subbed to your channel and enjoy all of your videos.

Quick question, how is the esc fan holding up so far? I havenít broken one yet, but I wanted to get a spare fan just in case. Howís yours holding up? Did you switch back to the stock fan?

RC Competitor
    Finally ran mine today for 1st time. I too noticed a small bit of lag like you explained. I think itís just the nature of this thing. I donít get that in my e-revo. Doesnít bother me much. But I may try checking for updates etc. I will say this. On 4s, this thing is just as fast as my e-revo 2.0 on 6s. (Both stock gearing) pretty impressive. Also, I donít see what the fuss is about as far as needing the wide max kit. I donít need or want it. Yes it flips over if I corner too fast. Yes I expected that. Wheelies on demand! Wrecked it probably 20 times. (On grass). No broken parts so far. I think I like it!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-The-Ace View Post
    Finally ran mine today for 1st time. I too noticed a small bit of lag like you explained. I think itís just the nature of this thing. I donít get that in my e-revo. Doesnít bother me much. But I may try checking for updates etc. I will say this. On 4s, this thing is just as fast as my e-revo 2.0 on 6s. (Both stock gearing) pretty impressive. Also, I donít see what the fuss is about as far as needing the wide max kit. I donít need or want it. Yes it flips over if I corner too fast. Yes I expected that. Wheelies on demand! Wrecked it probably 20 times. (On grass). No broken parts so far. I think I like it!
    Yeah this truck is a blast to drive. Iím going back to stock width and ditching the wide maxx conversion all together. I donít mind how squirrelly this truck is in stock form. And Iíve wrecked mine countless time in the 2 packs Iíve put through it, on grass and pavement.

RC Competitor
    I’m not saying the wide kit is bad. I just don’t think you NEED to have it to enjoy this truck. This thing is gona make a nice little basher!

RC Competitor
    Iím not saying the wide kit is bad. I just donít think you NEED to have it to enjoy this truck. This thing is gona make a nice little basher!
    I hear you. Itís not a bad kit, but it twisted the driveshafts pretty badly in just one pack on my truck. I donít want to dump another $170 into cvdís and new 17mm hexes when I already have the 5353R hexes. I think itíll do just fine in stock form, that way I can dump another $130 in an extra battery pack.

RC Competitor
    Well, ended up ordering the 8950x kit along with the 8654 hexes directly from Traxxas. The ďnutsĒ from my 5353R hexes should work with the 8654ís since theyíre both 17mm. Or, do I need to order the wheel nuts specifically for the 8654ís?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nrvous1 View Post
    Well, ended up ordering the 8950x kit along with the 8654 hexes directly from Traxxas. The “nuts” from my 5353R hexes should work with the 8654’s since they’re both 17mm. Or, do I need to order the wheel nuts specifically for the 8654’s?

The nuts will fit, but the nuts in the 5353 hub kit are not serrated. Something to take note of. Basically the serration is designed so they don’t back themselves off. The 8654 hub nuts come serrated. But if I remember correctly, the 8654 come with nuts anyways.

RC Competitor
    The nuts will fit, but the nuts in the 5353 hub kit are not serrated. Something to take note of. Basically the serration is designed so they donít back themselves off. The 8654 hub nuts come serrated. But if I remember correctly, the 8654 come with nuts anyways.
    The truck is all back to stock for the exception of leaving the 50wt oil in the rear shocks and the new cvdís. Iíve set the preload to 4mm on the rear shocks and 4.5mm in the front to level the truck out.

The nuts did fit and do not have serrations on either side, but the 8654 hexes are caked with lock tite from traxxas similar to the 5353. The 8654ís do not come with nuts; sold separately which is weird. Iíll just have to keep an eye out after each run.