RC poster

I just got a TRX4 Chassis kit, starting on it this weekend, any advice?

So, I used to have Tamiya cars when I was a kid many many years ago. Bought a Tamiya kit a few weeks ago, then a Traxxas 4tec chassis and a clear body I'm finishing up this weekend, and then the TRX4 kit with landrover body, and a 2wd slash to beat on while I build and paint the other cars..

I've picked up sealed bearings for the front and rear axels, the power switch thingie to make access easier, and some Traxxas High Performance grease. I wish the grease said what type is is, but nothing about silicon, ceramic, etc. on the tube.

Do I need anything else, other than tools which I have? Should I just get some marine grease? Do I need to get diff oil? I'm assuming all the oils and grease might already be in the box like a Tamiya kit, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice on the build? I've done Tamiya kits, built synth kits, and paint plastic models, so I have some experience being handy.

Anything I should upgrade while I'm building?

I know this isn't the cheapest route to the TRX, but I really love building/assembling. Makes it easier to fix things later. Thanks for any help/advice.

And I can't wait to start 3D printing stuff to put in the luggage racks, would have been nice if the body came with the spare tire for the back.
    Last edited by akira; 03-06-2020 at 03:36 PM.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

For the most part the kit falls together. Just make sure you understand the step before you do it.

Having a 3D printer really changes the dynamic of the hobby, and really has renewed my interest in it. Pulling stuff off of Thingiverse is cool, but there is nothing like designing the stuff that goes on your rigs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

For the most part the kit falls together. Just make sure you understand the step before you do it.

Having a 3D printer really changes the dynamic of the hobby, and really has renewed my interest in it. Pulling stuff off of Thingiverse is cool, but there is nothing like designing the stuff that goes on your rigs.
    Awesome. The manuals/assembly guide looks really well thought out. So I'm excited for the weekend.

I'm planning on printing a GoPro session bracket, windshield wipers, door handles, maybe a tiny bulldog for the hood, mainly decorative pieces, we'll see. Too many ideas, not enough time.

RC Qualifier
    The bulldog hood ormwmt is a great idea. Are you going to get a trailer for it so you can tow your Tamiya car?
    Also, Any cool plans for the body ( of the TRX )?

RC Racer
    If the cap is blue it is silicone grease..
    Black is high performance grease

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    The bulldog hood ormwmt is a great idea. Are you going to get a trailer for it so you can tow your Tamiya car?
    Also, Any cool plans for the body ( of the TRX )?
    Maybe down the road, ironically, my Tamiya car is their Defender. It's a 2-door body style, but it feels almost like 1/11 or 1/12 scale in comparison to the Traxxas body. If I do build a trailer, it'll be to fit the 4-tec I also got recently. Been on a bit of a spending spree since getting back in...like a kid in a toy store, but with a job and money.

I'd like to do some sort of interior seating, but that's a ways away. The body I got is the stock orange with black trim on the hood with the lighting kit, I'll probably just add on to that, maybe pick up a used body I won't be bothered by drilling holes if I need. I'd like to have it end up looking like something a National Geographic photographer might use on safari.

RC poster
    Thanks for the clarification B-stinga!