Thread: RX Question...

RX Question...

First post in this section... weird...

Anyhoo...

What is the maximum rated voltage of the current generation of Traxxas 1/10 RXs?

Last time I looked it up, Traxxas RXs for 1/10 RC, namely the TRX4, was only rated for 6VDC. I have, in fact, unwittingly tested that limit by setting my CC BEC to 6.5VDC, and momentarily wondering why my TX/RX no longer worked... The TX lived to see another day, the RX was toast.

So, there was a thread going somewheres else about BECs and such, and I offered up my experience and said not to push the Traxxas RX passed 6VDC on the guy's TRX4. Someone else piped up and politely said I was wrong, he runs his stock Traxxas RX at 7.4vdc and it works just fine. He also said he was running the yellow Defender.

Has Traxxas upped their game on the RXs?
    If so, anyone know the part number?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Iíll chime in here because Iíve unwittingly exceeded the receiver voltage specs. I have a hobby wing 1080 ESC in a TRX-4 sort. Servo is a savox 1210 that is rated for 7.4v. So I just went ahead and set the BEC to 7.4, wanting to get the max out of the servo.

It has noticeably more power than when running on 6v, and Iíve had zero receiver issues (stock rx).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know Traxxas hasn't changed their specs on the receivers. I know a freshly charged NiMh battery cell could charge to 1.5v, so a receiver 5cell pack would be near 7.5volts.

I'm curious if it has to do more with the amperage going through it with higher "power hungry servos." I know looking at servo specs, the more voltage you run them at the more amps they use.

This is the only info I could find: support/receiver-equipped-BEC-What-voltageamperage-it-rated

Thatís interesting. Ours certainly seems to be ok with 7.4v for now. Would they underrate them for some reason?!

Iíll let you know when we fry ours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

RX Question...

Very interested in a definitive answer to this. Just spent ages searching for the info I found last time I searched and canít find it.

The servo current shouldnít affect the RX, as all the ground and positive pins are just connected together usually, so servo current doesnít flow through the RX. It should only have to do with the voltage rating of the RX components.

If the RX can only handle 6V that would prohibit nitro users from using a 2S lipo receiver pack (without a regulator at least) which is quite a limitation for using HV servos. Although I suppose a similar quandary to the electric usage weíre discussing. Obviously that would require a voltage rating of at least 8.4V for a direct 2S lipo rx pack.

Can any nitro users shed some light on that?
    Last edited by boosta; 03-09-2020 at 09:15 PM.

RC Champion
    Anyone has more info at this question, I'm very interesting in it.