RC Enthusiast

Top heavy and tipping over...hopefully resolved...

I have the TRX-4 Traxx. I decided over the weekend to take the Traxx off of crawler and install the Canyon Trail tires it came with. The only problem I have is that the thing is very top heavy without the Traxx and likes to tip over.

So today I ordered the Samix Front and Rear Portal brass kits as well as the brass differential covers to add some weight to the lower portion of the crawler.

I know that there are heavy weight options for brass portal upgrades, but beyond those is there any thing else i should look at upgrading with brass to help decreases the top heaviness?
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC Competitor
    You can also add brass hexes, brass front/rear bumper mounts, LCG battery tray, brass lower shock/link mount set, brass internal lock rings.

RC Qualifier
    Good choice on the samix brass kit. They look really good. I put a set on mine and really like them. I have not driven the truck since I put them on yet. Currently my trx4 build is in the process. The above post has some good choices to help with unsprung weight.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dllnwtsn View Post
    You can also add brass hexes, brass front/rear bumper mounts, LCG battery tray, brass lower shock/link mount set, brass internal lock rings.
    Thank you!. I'll add them to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    Good choice on the samix brass kit. They look really good. I put a set on mine and really like them. I have not driven the truck since I put them on yet. Currently my trx4 build is in
    I decided to go with the Samix because it appears that the portal bracket for the Traxx will fit. I wanted less screws to have to remove and replace when reinstalling the Traxx. If i ever reinstall them and don't just buy another crawler instead. Kind of leaning to have two crawlers.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC Qualifier
    You can never have to many crawlers, lol. My boy and me each have one trx4. One day I wouldn't mind a blazer or something with the short wheelbase.

RC Competitor
    what battery are you using?

RC Competitor
    Here's what I'm adding to mine (Bronco) after I finish my Rustler build.

Samix F/R Bumper Mount
    Samix F/R Portal Set
    BEEFSTICKS Brass Links (209g)
    Yeah Racing F/R Metal Axles
    Samix Diff Covers
    Samix 12mm Hexes
    SSD Brass Internal Lock Rings (115g each)
    MIP HD Driveline
    MIP 4mm Offset Kit
    BowHouse LCG Battery Tray
    Castle Slate 2850kv sensored brushless w/Mamba X ESC
    Savox 2290SG Servo
    Spektrum DX6R TX w/SR6000t RX
    Pro-Line Hyrax
    Not sure on beadlocks yet.

RC Enthusiast
    You can never have to many crawlers, lol. My boy and me each have one trx4. One day I wouldn't mind a blazer or something with the short wheelbase.
    I think my wife my disagree...but i was looking at getting the yellow Defender next. But i am also looking either the Traxxas XMaxx or the Arrma Kraton, but that's a different ball game and conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by patmanz28 View Post
    what battery are you using?
    I am using a 3S 5000mah battery, simply because I use them on my Rustler as well. Just made things simpler.

Here's what I'm adding to mine (Bronco) after I finish my Rustler build.

Samix F/R Bumper Mount
    Samix F/R Portal Set
    BEEFSTICKS Brass Links (209g)
    Yeah Racing F/R Metal Axles
    Samix Diff Covers
    Samix 12mm Hexes
    SSD Brass Internal Lock Rings (115g each)
    MIP HD Driveline
    MIP 4mm Offset Kit
    BowHouse LCG Battery Tray
    Castle Slate 2850kv sensored brushless w/Mamba X ESC
    Savox 2290SG Servo
    Spektrum DX6R TX w/SR6000t RX
    Pro-Line Hyrax
    Not sure on beadlocks yet.
    That is a pretty good list. I will probably incorporate a few of those items into mine. Other than i was looking at the Hobbywing Axe setup instead.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nadams18 View Post
    I think my wife my disagree...but i was looking at getting the yellow Defender next. But i am also looking either the Traxxas XMaxx or the Arrma Kraton, but that's a different ball game and conversation.

I am using a 3S 5000mah battery, simply because I use them on my Rustler as well. Just made things simpler.

That is a pretty good list. I will probably incorporate a few of those items into mine. Other than i was looking at the Hobbywing Axe setup instead.
    I liked the HW Axe, but Castle is amazing.

This will probably be a 6+ month build, mostly because I have to strip my brand new Bronco, which I just ordered, all the way down. Hopefully I can get it built before summer ends though.

RC Enthusiast
    I liked the HW Axe, but Castle is amazing.

This will probably be a 6+ month build, mostly because I have to strip my brand new Bronco, which I just ordered, all the way down. Hopefully I can get it built before summer ends though.
    I keep seeing posts raving about the Castle setup. Was looking at the HW Axe, because I can get a discount via my brother-in-law. I just ordered the Bow House LCG Battery Tray (and a velcro trap since it doesn't come with it). Their photos of how low the battery sits in it is impressive.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

I keep seeing posts raving about the Castle setup. Was looking at the HW Axe, because I can get a discount via my brother-in-law. I just ordered the Bow House LCG Battery Tray (and a velcro trap since it doesn't come with it). Their photos of how low the battery sits in it is impressive.
    The aux wire is a great feature on the castle esc.i run a holmes hobbies motors on everything.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    My buddy has a Castle Slate w/Mamba X and it's beautiful. I've never tried an HW setup before, but the Castle could crawl an inch an hour if you wanted, or you could rip around like nothing.

RC Competitor
    the battery is the whole deal. 3s 2200 and it changes how it drives.

I have the TRX-4 Traxx. I decided over the weekend to take the Traxx off of crawler and install the Canyon Trail tires it came with. The only problem I have is that the thing is very top heavy without the Traxx and likes to tip over.

So today I ordered the Samix Front and Rear Portal brass kits as well as the brass differential covers to add some weight to the lower portion of the crawler.

I know that there are heavy weight options for brass portal upgrades, but beyond those is there any thing else i should look at upgrading with brass to help decreases the top heaviness?
    Without upgrading your stock tire foams, adding additional weight can be slightly counterproductive, because itíll cause the weak foams to collapse even further, especially when side-hilling. Itís a good deal of work getting glued on tires off the plastic wheels(but bot impossible), so the easiest option is upgrading to beadlocks and new tires & foams.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    Without upgrading your stock tire foams, adding additional weight can be slightly counterproductive, because it’ll cause the weak foams to collapse even further, especially when side-hilling. It’s a good deal of work getting glued on tires off the plastic wheels(but bot impossible), so the easiest option is upgrading to beadlocks and new tires & foams.
    I have the Proline Denali wheels and BF Goodrich Krawler tires set to be delivered later this week. Does the standard foam the tires come with work, or what should i be looking at changing it out too?
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

I have the Proline Denali wheels and BF Goodrich Krawler tires set to be delivered later this week. Does the standard foam the tires come with work, or what should i be looking at changing it out too?
    Great tires, but the included foams would not be sufficient. You could either go with PLís single or dual-stage crawler foams, or Crawler Innovations. Youíll at least want foams that include a closed-cell at the center (around the actual rim), for overall support for the tire. If the rig is heavy enough, a single close-cell foam will be great, because then you wonít need to be concerned with long term water damage.

Great tires, but the included foams would not be sufficient. You could either go with PLís single or dual-stage crawler foams, or Crawler Innovations. Youíll at least want foams that include a closed-cell at the center (around the actual rim), for overall support for the tire. If the rig is heavy enough, a single close-cell foam will be great, because then you wonít need to be concerned with long term water damage.
    Foams make a big difference in traction.i run CI lil nova's for the 1.9
    Also use ci in my 2.2 rig

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post

For sure, having the right set up for tires and foams will make a great difference. I've got the ci novas in two different tire section my lhs guy swears by. I got a local outing with the trucks coming soon and cant wait to see how these foams will handle.

RC Enthusiast
    Great tires, but the included foams would not be sufficient. You could either go with PL’s single or dual-stage crawler foams, or Crawler Innovations. You’ll at least want foams that include a closed-cell at the center (around the actual rim), for overall support for the tire. If the rig is heavy enough, a single close-cell foam will be great, because then you won’t need to be concerned with long term water damage.
    For sure, having the right set up for tires and foams will make a great difference. I've got the ci novas in two different tire section my lhs guy swears by. I got a local outing with the trucks coming soon and cant wait to see how these foams will handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post

Thanks for the information. My LHS had the Proline Dual Stage Foam in stock, so i will try those first and if i need to change to the single I'll do that.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC Enthusiast
    Ended up going with Crawler Intentions Double Duece foam instead of the Proline.

But Iím all done with adding the weight and changing out the tires.

Might have to go with smaller tires, but Iíll try it out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx

RC poster
    I just mounted a set of those tires (1.9) rims with proline dual stage foam and I am very very disappointed in the performance. I have even siped the tires. I am thinking since they are a thin tire I need to trim or get different foam. The traction really sucks but I am thinking, hoping, it is because I have too much foam and it isn't allowing the tire to conform to the terrain.

I will give it a bit more time to break in but at this point I am extremely disappointed in my proline dual stage/ BFG Krawler combination.
    Last edited by MOguy; 03-26-2020 at 08:19 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
    I just mounted a set of those tires (1.9) rims with proline dual stage foam and I am very very disappointed in the performance. I have even siped the tires. I am thinking since they are a thin tire I need to trim or get different foam. The traction really sucks but I am thinking, hoping, it is because I have too much foam and it isn't allowing the tire to conform to the terrain.

I will give it a bit more time to break in but at this point I am extremely disappointed in my proline dual stage/ BFG Krawler combination.
    Almost got those. My combo is bead locks with dual stage and Hyrax. Couldnít be happier with the performance. Even on things like wet logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MOguy View Post

Mine seem to grip just fine, but I do not have much else to compare my too other than the Canyon Trail's. I used the Crawler Innovations Double Deuce with Heavy Inner and Soft Outer. The inner appeared to be harder then that of the Proline, but the outer is definitely softer than the Proline.
    Nate

Rustler 4x4, TRX-4 Traxx