RC Enthusiast

Talking Builds/mods for 2wd rustler?

My partner and I recently got into rc, and I bought us each a 2wd electric Rustler. We don't race or compete (and really don't plan on starting), but we run our Rustlers on some pretty rough terrain. They're both pretty much stock, with the exception of LiPo batteries and swapping the stock wheel bushings for bearings. Overall, they've held up pretty good ( except for some bald tires, a burned out motor and a snapped caster block). Luckily, I was able to obtain a Rustler with a toasted ESC that I've been robbing parts off of to keep up with the torture we put ours through. (Stripping the parts car down gave me a pretty good understanding of the model and how to repair and replace parts). I'm wanting to start upgrading to make them more durable (and thus more fun), but, being pretty new to the hobby, I was wondering if anyone had some pointers on where to start and what parts we should work on getting first.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Aluminum castor blocks. Youll want to get aluminum caps for your shocks, so they wont pop off every run. Id get tires for your application. So share that and youll get some good suggestions. If I hear pretty rough, Id get Badlands SCs. Id stay away from Monster truck tires because theyll be too much strain on the drivetrain. How is the steering holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I have 2 rustlers among the 4 cars I bought last year after a 30 year RC hiatus. The 2nd one is still all stock but the first one has had everything but shocks, axles, and electronics replaced. It does have stock transmission still but that was a replacement from jennysrc because I had cracked the one of the tabs on the original. I even replaced the chassis with a slash lcg chassis to give it a longer wheel base to try and reduce the wheelies. It will still power wheelie on bumps and at high speed due to the parachuting effect, so next I will be trying a buggy body or perhaps a hi-flow SCT body. It has rpm arms, strc alum show towers and front bulkhead, etc.

Note: Once you replace one plastic part with aluminum you may find, like I did that you start breaking other plastic parts it connects to and have to buy more aluminum. In hindsight I sorta wish I had done some carbon fiber towers, instead of aluminum....

Last edited by fozzy71; 03-11-2020 at 09:59 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Aluminum castor blocks. You’ll want to get aluminum caps for your shocks, so they won’t pop off every run. I’d get tires for your application. So share that and you’ll get some good suggestions. If I hear pretty rough, I’d get Badlands SC’s. I’d stay away from Monster truck tires because they’ll be too much strain on the drivetrain. How is the steering holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a set of rear tires ordered, should be getting them today. I didn't have the cash to throw down on the Badlands tires, though I did seriously consider them. I ended up buying a set of Talon A/T tires for mine, figured I could test them on mine and if they work out, get a set for my partner. If they don't work out, they just have to last me a few weeks until I can get better ones. We both try to conserve our tires and resist the urge to do burnouts and donuts constantly. As for the shock caps, I'm waiting to buy some because I ordered some aluminum shocks from Traxxas, but they got stolen out if my driveway. I'm waiting to see if they will be replaced or refunded before I shell out money for shock caps for shocks I may not be using for very long. As far as the steering goes, It's held up fairly well. I broke a caster block in a head on collision with my partner's Rustler (I swear we weren't playing chicken, really) and I do have to adjust the alignment after the inevitable crashes and roll overs, but nothing major. I have a tool box full of parts to replace stuff with, so I usually have a back-up part if I need it.

RC Competitor
    My Rustler was an OLD brushed model with tiny bushings (bearings wouldn't fit), nothing waterproof, brushed motor, yellow ESC, AM radio setup, the list goes on.

It now has:
    DumboRC x6 TX/RX (has a gyro for a TSM like stability control, I think it may work even better than the real deal in my 4x4 Rustler VXL)
    Older 2 pole VXL system
    Aluminum caster blocks
    Aluminum tie bar
    New bearings (and carriers/steering blocks, just stock Traxxas for now, will upgrade later)
    Has newer replacement stock grooved tires up front and the Talon wheels/tires from a 4x4 Rustler in the back
    RPM bumpers front and back.
    The body is a highly modified Stampede body, I really like how it turned out and will have to replicate from a clear un-drilled body someday. The original one (old school boxy style) is still in decent shape and I plan on keeping it that way.

It's not "done" by any stretch, will be getting adjustable camber links and such within the week, and also the steering blocks/carriers are likely to be upgraded. It also still has the non-waterproof 2055 servo which screams in terror every time it's asked to move, yet is still performing nicely. I have a 2075 with metal gear upgrades in it that will move there soon enough.

Furthermore, the 4x4 Rustler ships with the strongest rear shafts that Traxxas has made, should work in the 2wd version too, I'll grab those when the stock ones break.

My 2wd Rustler is perhaps my favorite RC right now out of 2wd Slash, Rustler, Stampede and 4x4 Slash, Rally, Rustler and Stampede. All the 4x4s are brushless, will have to upgrade a 2wd Slash and Stampede soon as well. Besides, the way the kid kills Titan motors, replacing a good one is a positive thing for the parts pile haha.

RC Competitor
    I upgraded the old servo a short time ago, definitely better now.

Oh, and I never tossed a 3S pack into a 2wd before this evening... flippin' insane. The power is manageable in a 4x4, with 2wd it's pulling wheelies while already at near top speed.

Get you some of that brushless power, if you don't have it already, haha.

Broke an output yoke and a control arm in about 30 seconds without even hitting anything.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    My Rustler was an OLD brushed model with tiny bushings (bearings wouldn't fit), nothing waterproof, brushed motor, yellow ESC, AM radio setup, the list goes on.

It now has:
    DumboRC x6 TX/RX (has a gyro for a TSM like stability control, I think it may work even better than the real deal in my 4x4 Rustler VXL)
    I bought one of these from banggood to try in one of my rigs that I was having binding issues with and I couldn't figure out how to get the new receiver and radio to even bind/work, let alone how to use their TSM gyro thing. Any tips?

RC Enthusiast
    Had a 2WD Rustler for 3yrs. Still my favourite car despite having 2 E-Maxxs, 3 6S Arrmas, 3 10th scale buggies and a crawler.

Best combo of cost effective upgrades :

Alloy caster blocks, hub carriers. GPM from RCJazz were cheapest.

RPM bumpers, arms, front bulkhead, shock towers and tie rods.

Rest is down to terrain and driving type.

I use Proline Trenchers but you can get the Badlands cheap from AsiaTees.

If you're jumping then longer shocks plus stiffer springs. I have the Traxxas upgraded shocks coz I got them free. Otherwise probably GPM again.

Drive shafts are my bugbear. I use the Slash ones but they still break all the time. I'll try the 4x4 ones as suggested above. Thanks

Radio - I use a Flysky FSGT3C but the DumboRC is seriously good value.

Running the Velineon system on 3S. You NEED a wheelie bar!

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    I bought one of these from banggood to try in one of my rigs that I was having binding issues with and I couldn't figure out how to get the new receiver and radio to even bind/work, let alone how to use their TSM gyro thing. Any tips?
    The manual is useless. I watched some YouTube videos and what they did worked for me.

I wish I remembered what it was that made it work.

I also know that somewhere along the way, my trim controls for steering became reversed. The actual steering is fine, but to trim it to go left, you turn the knob right.

Strange and hacky, but once setup it's been fantastic considering the money.

RC Racer
    Thanks, I will give it another try with videos when I get off my butt and finish the slash ultimate rebuild/upgrade that has been torn down to the chassis since end of last summer. :P