RC poster

Stampede/4x4/vxl vs Rustler/4x4/vxl

I知 looking to buy a rc for the first time for myself and my son. I plan on doing pavement, dirt, grass, skate park, lots of jumps and racing each other. Basically I知 just wanting to have fun with my son. I知 only looking for it to go 30-50 mph but I want it to be durable to withstand crashes. Please help on giving me information on which rc to get. I知 thinking the Stampede or the Rustler. But should I do the 2 wheel, 4x4 or the 4x4 vxl??? I知 new to this so with the money I値l be spending I want to do it right the first time. I知 going to get the same of both but in different colors and not one of each. Thanks for any help I get.

RC Qualifier
    You will probably get a dozen or so opinions on this thread , and while they are informed opinions they are just that, but collectively our experiences should give you a good basis to start.
    I’ll throw in some general knowledge. To start I’ll say I have driven a Slash 4x4 which is basically like the Stampede 4x4 but longer wheelbase hence a little more stable ( but also slightly heavier ) never tried a rustler 4x4, but I have driven a 2wd Rustler, 2Wd stampede , 2wd Slash and as I stated above, 4x4 slash .

As a general rule 4wd will be a little a little easier to drive, especially for a newer driver. 2wd is more prone to spin out in lower traction. Also , easier to control in the air when you jump etc.
    2wd are generally a little lighter and usually slightly quicker / faster in a straight line ( as long as you can get good traction ) and a little less expensive initial cost .
    In terms of the 2wd cars I find the Rustler has the lowest center of gravity and probably the best handling .
    Hopefully a few more people here can chime in.

RC Qualifier
    4x4 for sure, easier to drive than 2wd. From the way you decribe how you plan to use them, I'd recommend the rustler 4x4 vxl. They are lower and handle better. And definitely start off right by buying brushless (vxl). Run 2s batteries for now, plenty fast and fun on 2s, and less broken parts. I made the mistake years ago of buying 2 2wd brushed rustlers for me and my son, which are now brushless but still hardly get used since we have 4x4s now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I agree, go with the Rustler 4x4 VXL. the stampede is higher so it has more tendency to roll over. Not that my Rustler stays on its wheels, bit that's the 3s battery for you. The training mode is awesome to be able get used to the truck before going all out. My 9 year old son can drive my Rustler on 3s training mode with no problems. 2s would be great for a beginner, then maybe move up to 3s when you want some carnage lol.

The stampede 4x4 vxl will likely do better in grass, since it sits a bit taller, well, most of it does. But being 1/10, grass isn't really it's friend as it takes a lot of energy to plow through 2"+ tall grass regardless.

If your going to spend most of your time at skate parks or on pavement with a little grass running, the rustler 4x4 vxl is where I'd start. The stampede is a lot more tippy, especially at speed.

I have a stampede 4x4 vxl built up quite a bit to handle abuse on 3S and a converted ejato (2wd) I also run on 3S. The jato is just awful in the grass if it has any height to it. Spends all it's time just spinning tires, and that's with 2.8" trenchers on it! Still, it's a blast at the skate park. If I didn't have it, I'd get the rustler 4x4 vxl, even though I run in grass a lot, I also run in skate parks a lot and it would do well there. I don't run in grass much with my 1/10th's once it gets tall or needs mowed. Then I run 6S 1/8th scale as they have more weight/power to deal with the extra drag better.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Competitor
    Really enjoy my rustler 4x4 vxl. It was my first rc truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I presently own (all 1/10):
    2wd Slash (brushed)
    2wd Rustler (brushless)
    2wd Stampede/Grave Digger/Bigfoot (brushed)
    4x4 Slash (brushless)
    4x4 Rally (brushless)
    4x4 Rustler (brushless)
    4x4 Stampede (brushless)
    (Seems I need to go buy a Bandit just because, haha)

If I had to pick ONE, it would be the 4x4 brushless Rustler. Great balance of speed, handling, go everywhere capability and jumping without undue parachuting like the Slash gets. I also like the Rustler the most of the 2wd models too.

Also, speaking of brushed vs brushless, for sure go for brushless unless there's reason not to (like running in stock brushed Slash or stock brushed Slash based Mudboss). The first RC I got was a Slash for my kid, went with brushed because I was concerned about speed. We've killed FIVE Titan 12T motors since Christmas. I clean them, they just don't last, especially with the kid's use/abuse. Looking back with 20/20, I'd get brushless ones straight away, training mode makes the brushless ones exactly the same as the brushed ones in terms of speed. I had a bearing destroy itself in a brushless motor, but it was a simple matter to fix.
    Last edited by BlueTrane2028; 03-12-2020 at 09:56 PM.

RC poster
    After talking with others I’m going to go another route. I’m going with the E Revo 2.0 I like the 1/8 scale size, speed and the durability of it.

RC poster
    Any car is indestructible, even more when you're a beginner.
    Anticipe a side budget for standard maintenance and reparation (yes, it will happen...like everybody)
    Look at something with affordable spare parts. (depend your budget)
    Look at something with easy mechanics. (depend your skill)
    Look at some mainteance/reparation vids to get an idea (specally the diff)
    Don't be that guy who add 10 pounds of aluminium parts and think that the car will be indestructible. (some could be a good choice)
    Look at some posts/vids about traxxas ID before buying a traxxas charger and traxxas lipo, it could helping you saving money by using other connector and lipo.
    Use and abuse the training mode (only 50% power); I didn't... I had to.... First time I drove, body split, center driveshaft and front pinion gear bent, front drive hub broken. It's how I have learned that you need a side budget!!
    It's not a toy that you can leave in a corner until the next run.
    So many things I didn't know when I bought mine.
    Whatever you buy, if it's a traxxas it's a good choice!

RC Competitor
    We have 2 Rustler 2WD 's, one of them (mine) is the VXL the other is the entry level or base model. In training mode the VLX is a little slower then the other one out of training mode (VXL is MUCH faster out of training mode). I don't think I broke anything till I took it out of training mode. The aftermarket parts for the 2WD Rustler are MUCH less then the 4WD Rustler. RPM makes near everything for the 2WD Rustler and they are only a few bucks more then the stock Traxxas parts (but twice as strong). I broke a caster on my new 4WD Rustler the first time out (not in training mode) and all the aftermarket casters (except for RPM) were aluminum and around 25$ (or more) for the set (Left & Right). None of the kids had any issues with driving the 2WD Rustlers. By the 2nd or 3rd time out they were fine. The only thing I did to the stock Rustlers was change the tires to street tires (Anaconda's) when we had them on the street or skate parks. I put the off road tires back on when we were on dirt roads and again the kids had no issues at all. It's worth the extra money to get he VXL right from the start. I don't remember the exact price I saw, I think it was 200$, for just the motor & electronics to upgrade the base Rustler to the same motor and electronics as the VXL has. But the VXL also has a few more things on it upgraded already so it's well worth the extra money.

RC Qualifier
    I've got a VXL Rustler coming this week. It's been several years since my last RC days. I was always a stampede guy in the brushed motor era, but am looking forward to the Rustler. Plan to put on the bigger Sledgehammer tires, as I'll mostly be chasing my dog with it on an acre of mowed grass.