RC poster

Gearing Question

I recently upgraded my Emaxx to Brushless with the Velineon VXL-6s. My gearing was originally 17 tooth pinion & 68 tooth spur. I'm currently using 8.4v 5000mah NIMH batteries. The old pinion doesn't fit the new motor, The shop gave me a 19 tooth pinion and 62 tooth spur. Looking at the manual online for the brushless Emaxx I don't see a 62 tooth spur gear. If I use 19 & 62 I'm going to be under gearing which will probably cause damage correct?. The chart lists 19 tooth pinion with 68 spur is for 4S lipo only. What will happen if I use the 8.4v NIMH battery with the gearing of 19 & 68? Sorry for the long question.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankra View Post
    I recently upgraded my Emaxx to Brushless with the Velineon VXL-6s. My gearing was originally 17 tooth pinion & 68 tooth spur. I'm currently using 8.4v 5000mah NIMH batteries. The old pinion doesn't fit the new motor, The shop gave me a 19 tooth pinion and 62 tooth spur. Looking at the manual online for the brushless Emaxx I don't see a 62 tooth spur gear. If I use 19 & 62 I'm going to be under gearing which will probably cause damage correct?. The chart lists 19 tooth pinion with 68 spur is for 4S lipo only. What will happen if I use the 8.4v NIMH battery with the gearing of 19 & 68? Sorry for the long question.
    I have 2 Emaxx's one stock brushed and a Brushless version and both came with the 62T spur for speed options. I have never used the 62T only the 68T and it will be fine running the 19T, you'll get some more speed but everything else will be fine.
    Your NIMH will die faster and you should consider getting a couple of 2s batteries. I hope this helps.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply Rain Dawg. It helps

Just curious, what motor do yo have?
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Racer
    You need to know your motor/ESC and batteries and what they do in your climate with your run style based on temperature.

The manual says for stock set up anything from 3.09 to 4:53 final gear ratio.

With that said my 2100kv is running 4S 22/65 just fine. With that said, NiMh is not going to cut it most likely and will probably get hot. Run 19/68 but take it easy and check temps of everything.
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Just curious, what motor do yo have?

I recently got the 2200kv

If you have a 2200kv and a Velineon VXL-6s, stock gears should fit your motor shaft. I'd get stock 68/17 gears from Amazon or Ebay, and slap them in your Emaxx. That setup works good for both 4s and 6s.

RC Enthusiast
    Thoughts on a heavier truck? Say for example loaded up with aluminum bulkheads, suspension mounts, chassis braces, a roll cage, and MIP driveshafts.. I just ordered some lower pinion gears to do some testing, but it seems logical a heavier truck would do better with more low end power to propel it.

Edit: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx'ed View Post
    Thoughts on a heavier truck? Say for example loaded up with aluminum bulkheads, suspension mounts, chassis braces, a roll cage, and MIP driveshafts.. I just ordered some lower pinion gears to do some testing, but it seems logical a heavier truck would do better with more low end power to propel it.

Edit: grammar
    If your truck is heavier than stock, you might need to gear lower. With a stock 68/17 geared E-Maxx using a MM2 system on 6s your temps should be no higher than 140. Mine is usually in the low 120's, but my E-Maxx isn't stock. You first need to see what your temps are with how you have your E-Maxx presently modified.

Monitoring your motor and ESC temps are how you see what gearing ratio works best for your current setup. If your motor is to hot...under geared. If your ESC is to hot...over geared. As I said above in post #7, with a stock Emaxx brushless motor (Castle 2200kv) and 6s ESC (Castle MM1 or MM2) using 68/17 gearing seems to work the best with both 4s and 6s batteries. But, as you modify your truck, you need to use your temps as tools to select the best gearing for your particular situation.

Unfortunately, when you modify your truck, the odds of someone else having the same exact mods as you do (to tell you exactly what gearing to use) is very slim. Therefore, you're going to have to use your own temps (from your own truck) to see what gearing works the best for you. Motor and ESC temps, though, are how you do it. So, keep that in mind and you'll do fine.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-13-2020 at 04:52 AM.

RC Enthusiast

Question

Thank you for the very detailed answer. Would a $20 temp gun from Amazon be the right starting point for checking temps?

Yep, if it has a laser on it. I use telemetry for when I'm running, and a laser temp gun for when I'm tuning.

RC Enthusiast
    I was able to borrow one from a friend and it's got me on the right track now. I've been using the temp gun to make adjustments to my 1/16 E-Revo. I've ordered a 70t steel spur and a 15t pinion for the Brushless E-Maxx. Looking forward to trying them out.

Glad to hear it!