RC Enthusiast

Steering problems with rustler 2wd

Hey all, I'm having some issues with the steering on my rustler. No matter how much I align my steering trim, it constantly pulls to the left. At first I thought it was maybe my new tires I put on the back, but even at low speed it cuts donuts after I go about 10 feet. The wheels are aligned, but I have to keep my steering wheel tweaked a little to the side to keep a straight line. At full throttle, it just spins non stop. The steering servo seems to be working fine, and I'm getting really frustrated trying to track down the problem. I tore apart the front end and can't find anything obvious. I have the parts to rebuild the whole steering assembly, but I really don't want to if I don't have too. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Check your links for camber and toe-in, see if anything is bent maybe? Check the steering linkage and see if anything is wrong. Perhaps check the axle for the side youíre having the problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Did you wreck and this started?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have you tried to center the steering servo with the servo horn off? Truck turned on to allow servo to go to its center and steering trim at neutral before re-installing of servo horn.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalphen View Post
    Did you wreck and this started?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I've wrecked this poor rustler more times than I can count, honestly. I haven't had anything major lately, but it's a definite possibility.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Check your links for camber and toe-in, see if anything is bent maybe? Check the steering linkage and see if anything is wrong. Perhaps check the axle for the side you’re having the problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I looked it over this afternoon, but didn't get too involved with it. I'll probably work on taking a better look at it over the week. Everything looked ok, at least to a quick check. I'll take a closer look, for sure.

RC Qualifier
    Swap the left and right front stub axles and see if still pulls left. If so, check the bearings since a binding bearing will cause the car to pull to one side.

RC poster
    Check the rear to be sure you are getting even power to both rear wheels or that one of the rear wheels is not binding. If it acts worse when accelerating it could be from uneven push from the rear wheels.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougw9876 View Post
    Check the rear to be sure you are getting even power to both rear wheels or that one of the rear wheels is not binding. If it acts worse when accelerating it could be from uneven push from the rear wheels.
    I considered this as the culprit, but I wasn't too sure about trying to take anything apart on the back. I have spare driveline parts, but I wasn't sure exactly how to take the rear end apart to find out if that's what is causing it. I looked up some videos on how to do it, but they really didn't help much.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethMiller19 View Post
    I considered this as the culprit, but I wasn't too sure about trying to take anything apart on the back. I have spare driveline parts, but I wasn't sure exactly how to take the rear end apart to find out if that's what is causing it. I looked up some videos on how to do it, but they really didn't help much.
    Just hold the rear of the car off the ground and blip the throttle, you will easily see if one side is dragging more than the other.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I'll have some time to work on it tonight. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If one side is dragging, what should I do to correct it?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougw9876 View Post
    Just hold the rear of the car off the ground and blip the throttle, you will easily see if one side is dragging more than the other.
    Ok, so I'm pretty sure it is the rear end. The right wheel is spinning faster than the left. I checked my wheel nuts to make sure one isn't binding up, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm guessing the wheel bearings would be the next logical thing to check, right? Where do I go from there? Sorry to be a pain, but I'm trying to make sure I know what I'm doing and what I'm looking for.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethMiller19 View Post
    Ok, so I'm pretty sure it is the rear end. The right wheel is spinning faster than the left. I checked my wheel nuts to make sure one isn't binding up, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm guessing the wheel bearings would be the next logical thing to check, right? Where do I go from there? Sorry to be a pain, but I'm trying to make sure I know what I'm doing and what I'm looking for.
    If the bearings axel shafts are good the differential would be next to check. To dig into that I would suggest you do a you tube search and watch a video, it is more than I can describe here but is not all that difficult to do.