Thread: Covid-19

Covid-19

Keeping all politics out of it as well as conforming to the rules....

How are all you dealing with the pandemic?

I'm informed but not too worried. Just trying to wade through all the information and figure out what is truth and fallacy. Hoping that some of the information coming from the east (new cases declining, businesses starting to open up) as well as closer to home (multiple companies/agencies working hard on antibodies, clinical tests starting) is true and soon the light at the end of the tunnel will be seen.

In my main job many people working from home and little interaction with the deputies, sgts, commanders or admin. My other job as a first responder and trying to keep up with the new or changing policies and being concerned I'm not bringing COVID home to the family. Kids are on the fence - they love being at home but they do enjoy being at school. Wife is a special ed teacher and now working from home on plans for distance education.

Doesn't help that I want to get outside more or work on the garage remodel but I live in the Upper Midwest and on good days right now the temp hits 40į+ but now looking at cooler temps with snow. Haven't run my RC's since October and the garage needs to get done before I can do that.

Big adjustment to the new way of life for now. Those who have been laid off or are worried they will be are in my prayers and thoughts.

IMHO: though for many who constantly have their head down with eyes glued to the phone they are used to the social distancing that smart phones have provided for the past ten plus years.

In the mean time, enjoy the time with your family and/or friends. Do something to educate yourself. Enjoy the slower pace of life. People decades ago got by just fine. We can too!
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Keeping all politics out of it as well as conforming to the rules....

How are all you dealing with the pandemic?

I'm informed but not too worried. Just trying to wade through all the information and figure out what is truth and fallacy. Hoping that some of the information coming from the east (new cases declining, businesses starting to open up) as well as closer to home (multiple companies/agencies working hard on antibodies, clinical tests starting) is true and soon the light at the end of the tunnel will be seen.

In my main job many people working from home and little interaction with the deputies, sgts, commanders or admin. My other job as a first responder and trying to keep up with the new or changing policies and being concerned I'm not bringing COVID home to the family. Kids are on the fence - they love being at home but they do enjoy being at school. Wife is a special ed teacher and now working from home on plans for distance education.

Doesn't help that I want to get outside more or work on the garage remodel but I live in the Upper Midwest and on good days right now the temp hits 40į+ but now looking at cooler temps with snow. Haven't run my RC's since October and the garage needs to get done before I can do that.

Big adjustment to the new way of life for now. Those who have been laid off or are worried they will be are in my prayers and thoughts.

IMHO: though for many who constantly have their head down with eyes glued to the phone they are used to the social distancing that smart phones have provided for the past ten plus years.

In the mean time, enjoy the time with your family and/or friends. Do something to educate yourself. Enjoy the slower pace of life. People decades ago got by just fine. We can too!
    In terms of work stuff, my wife is an adjunct college professor , and 1/2 of her classes she was teaching were already online , she had to adjust to the rest of her classes going online.
    I’m In aircraft maintenance ( non commercial, military) and while other parts of the base are Limiting services and reducing contact, there has been no change to my schedule this week.
    I work an off shift with a small crew of well under 10 people and broken planes still need Fixin’.
    Like doubleG I’m also dealing with northern winter not letting up yet so that is certainly cutting down on my RC time for being able to blow off steam. I have one or two “Projects” and or upgrades I was planning on doing like adding brushless power to an old rig or two of mine or building a Tamiya M chassis kit. I have been kind of holding off before ordering new stuff for these projects but I may soon so I have something to work on to keep me sane.
    I’m also a newbie watercolor painter and have worked on some paintings and built a new static plastic model.
    I’m waiting for weather to warm up before I can pay with Nitro or mess my motorcycles.
    I hope I didn’t over share, but that’s how I’m keeping my sanity.

RC Racer
    Not much has changed for me as I have been working from home for the past 10+ years. I will just be ordering all my rc parts online and doing grocery shopping online for pickup or delivery and pay the extra $5 or $10.

RC Competitor
    Not dealing with the weather as you two I'm an independent trucker. Hotshot when we do to eat we cannot. Restuarant closed to inside traffic. You walk up they won't serve you because you are not in a vehicle. My vehicle wont fit in a drive through. Go to store get microwaved meals but no where to heat them up. No parking no food what are we to do as small buisness. You buy 60 gallons of fuel then store doesn't want you to use restroom. State rest rooms closed down havent had a shower in 3 days. What are we to do?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdorseyjr64 View Post
    Not dealing with the weather as you two I'm an independent trucker. Hotshot when we do to eat we cannot. Restuarant closed to inside traffic. You walk up they won't serve you because you are not in a vehicle. My vehicle wont fit in a drive through. Go to store get microwaved meals but no where to heat them up. No parking no food what are we to do as small buisness. You buy 60 gallons of fuel then store doesn't want you to use restroom. State rest rooms closed down havent had a shower in 3 days. What are we to do?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    All problems I never thought about. Sorry to hear it!

My biggest issue is finding TP. Luckily we don't have kids, so we don't burn through it that fast and we have enough for a couple weeks. Haven't been able to buy any in over a week and not being able to get something so basic kind of puts my teeth on edge.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

It's been about the same for me. As I had scheduled time off for spring break to spend time with my teen daughter. But all the things we wanted to do has been closed now.... so we been taking the RC cars out and going for more walks.

I run a small construction company. 4 employees. So far keeping them busy busy but after April 1st no jobs lined up. Been having a customer a day or so want to reschedule... so will see. Worse case have them help me out on home improvement projects ..

I've still been out with the RC cars. Break em and fix em. Made a new ramp for the xmaxx other day. Still needs to get some new parts into it that showed up. Wife keeps giving me hunny do's so been slacking on the healing bench.

My wife owns a personal training studio,. Normally 1:1 and other instructors doing small group classes. Has been alot more cleaning. And other instructors canceling classes. Space events canceling ect... she took the week off work.. She will probably move to doing Skype online sessions.

I just made a neighborhood wellness library for her to put in the yard last night and got it finished and installed today. So many more people out walking and enjoying the sunshine. So people can get some tips and so on, on their movement for the day.

Heart goes out for all those greatly impacted by the shut down. Teachers, truck drivers, Resturant and bar workers.

Got my bathroom remodel to work on as well... Another 130sq of tile to put down. See if I can't get that done before my vacation ends.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yeah, for me, I've been just hunkering down, and working from home. I already got all stocked up weeks ago on antibacterial wipes, food, etc so pretty much just working from home and breaking out the Bandit. Gotta wait this out. We're all in this together, and remember, the more sleep and the less stress you have, the less likely you are to get sick!
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

My life hasn't changed at all!

I suspect I already had it in December though...I have a doctor's appointment next week with a new PCP so I'm going to inquire.
    Everyone around me got what they thought was the flu for two weeks, I got it and wound up in the ER twice. They thought I had flu or pneumonia but the test came back as an unknown respiratory virus. I got it worse than my co-workers but just as with the Coronavirus, I am borderline HBP and Diabetic. I couldn't breathe...bad enough that I went to the ER.
    Rumor is that the virus was out for 9-10 months before it was discovered what it was.

As for the over-reaction to all of this...it hasn't affected me any either. I have been using my supplies for over two months, trying to whittle them down for rotation, plus, I'm looking for a newer house and don't want to move stuff if I don't have to...another plus is grocery money is getting banked for the move. I still have between 6 months to over a year's supply of food, depending on the item.

I live in upstate NY and it is different. Some things are surreal. I don't get out much for health reasons. Today I went out to a Dr. appt. and the normal traffic was gone, hardly any vehicles. Parking lots empty and buildings everywhere closed. Stopped at a local grocery store on the way home and shelves were literally empty, with signs showing daily limits for basic items. Schools closed for a month. The only thing to do is stay home and wait. Seeing these things today put on the "reality check." Things that I only seen in movies.

Anyone live in smaller rural areas? I have a co-worker that has a lake lot in northern Minnesota and last weekend he said that store shelves were normal. As he got closer to the Minneapolis/St Paul area they got progressively bare.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Anyone live in smaller rural areas? I have a co-worker that has a lake lot in northern Minnesota and last weekend he said that store shelves were normal. As he got closer to the Minneapolis/St Paul area they got progressively bare.
    REPORTING IN SIR!!!

Yup, I am up here in North Idaho. So far, no confirmed cases up here, but that will change, give it time.

The small Navy base I work on is still operational, and most of the work we are involved in is considered "critical". Of course being as small as we are (~120 people total), our population is somewhat isolated. They have sent most of the government people home with computers, and we lowlife scumbag (and expendable) contractors are pushing to the work down the road. My assumption is that as soon as there is a confirmed case in the area we will be sent home for a couple of weeks.

Naturally there is a lot of nervousness around here if the base does shut down. Unlike our government counterparts, who will get paid, if we (contractors) get locked out of the base we will have to burn leave. A good number of us do not have any saved up, so there goes the paycheck. As far as me and mine go, I have a good amount of leave saved, so I am good for a couple of weeks, plus I do have other sources of income. The wife works for a construction company (office), and they are still running at full steam.

We do have all of the retardation that everywhere else is seeing, no TP on the store shelves (still do not understand this), but other things are starting to come back into stock. People's panicked reaction to all of these has been strange, and completely unnecessary; but they are just reacting and not thinking.

The truest test of when to go into panic-mode is out there on the road, if the trucks stop running, start panicking. There are few things we have going here, first, there is a large stockpile of supplies on hand. Second, most manufacturing is not shuttering, so goods are still being made at near-normal pace. Third, the demand for truck drivers has never be higher, so there are goods to be shipped. This is the silver lining for a lot of people that work on this base, many have CDLs, so if the base locks up, they'll go drive.

Watching the news, you have to look for the good, you have to look for the hope. Right now there are a couple of trials going on for a vaccine, and preliminary results have been good. Second, there are two low-cost drugs that have shown excellent results in treating his virus.

We all just need to calm down, practice good hygiene, and keep a respectful distance from each other. Also, we all need to take notes on all of this and apply them to be better prepared for the next crisis.

JMHO...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Life goes on. I'm a union plumber and my company does alot of work on schools. While some job locations have locked down we still get by. My wife, who is enrolled in college, has been doing online schooling and my two kids also. We keep active. Took the family rc crawling on sunday, my son and wife run a mile three times a week, my daughter and I build the modern day equivalent to erector sets off and on. I have however found more time to bash the RCs. Our dog is happy, mama and the kids are home all day! The old girl still has some spunk in her. All in all this is different. I'm interested to see how it will be once this is over. Does it go back to same old same old, or has this forever changed our norms? Be well rc family, stay healthy and wash your hands. (Lucy says hi)

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Champion
    Things out here on the the Island are pretty much the same as everywhere else, shelves are dwindling in the stores and the no toilet paper thing has me baffled along with everyone else. As sad as it is our province leads Canada with confirmed cases and deaths which is still minimal to what alot of others are dealing with. The Island has less then 20 confirmed cases and in my opinion people are still not taking things seriously enough. Not sure what to think on this social distancing stuff and wonder if it needs to be a lock down for 2 to 4 weeks to stop or slow the transmission.
    Were pretty fortunate to have always had a feast or famine way of life in the logging industry where you always had a lot of down time since the mid 90's. This has always caused us to buy thing on sale and stock up so to speak for 6 month lay off's at a time. We live on 5 acres which right now is a blessing where we can go out all day and not run into people. Gas prices have dropped dramatically in the last 10 days from 1.34 liter to .99 cents this morning.
    Sharing a few things that might help some of you is we have chickens so we always have fresh eggs and we crack open dozens at a time into muffin tins and freeze them (about 2 hrs) and then put them into double zip lock bags, they keep for up to a year. We also make sure to fill lots of 8 oz water bottles with milk (leave room at the top for expansion) and freeze them and cycle through as needed, once unthawed 1 bottle does 2 bowls of cereal and 2 coffee's lol. We have only used skimmed milk for 30 plus years so any cream that chunks after freezing is minimal and after a good shake or in the blender if using thicker milks it goes back to normal.
    I hope everyone stays safe and virus free, prayers to those in need.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In Middle TN, Iím a the Technical Team Lead for Johnson Controls service team. Lots of schools and all the hospitals, as well as tons of commercial and industrial sites. Things are much different. Getting scanned before I enter and put off in other cases. My wife has been working from home and Iíve got a lot of remote access. Certain things are hard to come by. But weíre gonna be just fine. Glad to be working for a large corporation. Itíll help ride the financial storm. Be safe everyone. Social distancing and confinement will be the only way to stop the spread of this. Plenty of rumors, I do know the National guard has been mobilized. To what capacity, I donít know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Here in small town central IN.schools are closed ,places to eat are dwindling,stores cutting back hours.Went to store this morning to get a few things and had to wait to get in and once I did they had no tp.Three more stores later no tp and very little cleaning supplies.like black Friday all over again.if you want a good laugh go to ebay type in any brand tp and search under highest price.now my day is over and ishall self isolate from everyone and wrench till I cant see straight.everyone have a good evening.

Just got an Executive Order for IL... yay.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Currently living in Cleveland, TN, and itís pretty much normal here. A lot of fast food places are drive through only, some restaurants are online order only, and most grocery stores are on special hours. Other than that, no mandatory shut downs or anything.

I work for Aalberts in Logistics, we are a specialty surface treatment company and handle large amounts of steel day to day. No one has gotten sick as of today.

We do however, have 1 confirmed case of COVID19 in my county, which is Bradley County. It was just confirmed today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, got our first two cases in our area today...

If I were a betting man, I would say there is a good bet that the base will be locked down on Monday...

Oh well, I have a frig full of beer, a room full of Legos, a shop full of RCs, and lots of woods to ride my quads in... Looks like I am set.

I'm down the highway from you Greatscott in Weiser. Shelfs are emptying fast in our only Grocery store. Sad part is the new store just opened up in December..

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    All in all this is different. I'm interested to see how it will be once this is over. Does it go back to same old same old, or has this forever changed our norms? Be well rc family, stay healthy and wash your hands. (Lucy says hi)

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Things will be different, some people will be different, some not, just depends on how hard people are hit. I think one thing that will be different, at least in the near term, we will be better prepared for the next one. Maybe they'll get a hold on the situation sooner and not let it get out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk1005 View Post
    I'm down the highway from you Greatscott in Weiser. Shelfs are emptying fast in our only Grocery store. Sad part is the new store just opened up in December..
    Things are hit and miss here. TP is still a rare bird, but the cold medicines are back on the shelves. The local grocery store got nailed for price gouging, so it should be interesting how that is handled. More or less we are stocked up without hording, so if there is a miss in our week-to-week shopping, we'll be ok.

RC Qualifier
    TP is pretty much the hit and miss around the Nashville area as is most meats and dry goods. Luckily enough we did manage to get the things we needed. If the population would stop doing all the panic buying they are doing then stuff would stock back up, but no, stores have had to put one per shopper limits on a lot of items. The surprising thing has been no one has gone bonkers on gasoline that I have seen. As far as cases in the area the county I live in has 5 so far, Im suspecting that number to rise like Nashville has.

RC Competitor
    I'm just outside Philadelphia. Cases are being confirmed all around me. Every human interaction, even trying to keep distance, feels like a life or death moment. I've had breathing issues all my life... I'm not going to give up but I have doubts whether I'll pull through even though I'm under 40. Here's hoping that sentiment doesn't come to pass.

I had the swine flu when that was going around... that sucked pretty bad, this is supposedly a lot worse.

Other than the stress knowing I'm practically at the epicenter and being concerned for our rights when this is all done with, We've got plenty of food, didn't get TP but can use baby wipes when that runs out(son is 6 but we found so many uses for them we keep buying them). We've got the tools we need to defend ourselves if society breaks down, I'm still able to work, wife is at half of her normal but again still pulling checks. It could be better... but it could be a LOT worse.

If I could get the trans in my Rustler to stop messing up that would be great.

I'm also hopeful for some sort of break in this action come June, when I'm scheduled to race my 1:1 car... I don't get to do that nearly enough, please don't let this crap take that from me... but I'd trade the racing for everyone in my family surviving. Mom and Dad are up in years, still have a few aunts and uncles too...

So... I'm not completely panicked but I'm far from at ease. You think you know what stress is until a pandemic comes. I should have seen it coming... 20 years about into a century seems to be when problems hit.

RC Competitor
    Overall I think i'm dealing with it quite well. It was really quiet for quite awhile where i'm at, but eventually it worked it's way here, so now i'm just using the down time to work on some old projects iv'e shelved

Had to make a supply run, which was a whole ordeal in itself, i went out gloves and stuff and everyone looked at me like i was insane

(it's crazy how rude people can be in this situation, man i'm just trying to protect my family and myself you don't have to call me gross)

But I made it through safely and hope you all be safe and smart about your health.

Good luck forum goers!
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

Our governor signed an executive order today prompting a two-week lockdown starting on Friday. We can only go out for essentials - groceries, gasoline, care for family... I was initially thinking our hardware stores would have to close - nope. Which is good because I have been remodeling my garage and need to get some supplies. My kids have already been out of school for two-and-a-half weeks (one of which was spring break) and they are supposed to be out until May 4.

We can still go outside to walk, run, bike, skate, etc so there'll probably be a lot of that. Stay safe!
    The Super Derecho

You in Idaho too?

The governor of this state did the same thing. My wife is in the construction industry, and for some reason it is considered "essential". I work on a Navy base, and our work is considered essential.

I am also in Idaho also but thankfully in a low populated area...

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    You in Idaho too?

The governor of this state did the same thing. My wife is in the construction industry, and for some reason it is considered "essential". I work on a Navy base, and our work is considered essential.
    Minnesota .
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I'm dealing with it hanging out at the house (working from home 4 days a week going in once) with the family and getting quality build time on my daughters 1984 C-10.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    I'm dealing with it hanging out at the house (working from home 4 days a week going in once) with the family and getting quality build time on my daughters 1984 C-10.
    Last week's Iron Resurrection (season 4 episode 8 "Frozen In Time") had a 1983 Silverado that turned out nice!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Last week's Iron Resurrection (season 4 episode 8 "Frozen In Time") had a 1983 Silverado that turned out nice!
    I'll have to check it out. We only stream so I'll have to find it somewhere. Thanks for the heads up!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd