RC Competitor

Center driveshaft rubbing on motor

Not sure if this is just me, as there doesnít appear to be much on the forums for this issue. I flipped the motor mount in order to fit a heat sink and when I flipped it back once I saw the rubbing it didnít seem to help. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffucd View Post
    Not sure if this is just me, as there doesnít appear to be much on the forums for this issue. I flipped the motor mount in order to fit a heat sink and when I flipped it back once I saw the rubbing it didnít seem to help. Any ideas?

Not sure if itíll fix it, but you should be able to rotate the motor on the motor plate

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

What do you mean by “flipped the motor mount?”

Why is your motor case so close to the center drive shaft? Do you have the pinion gear on the motor? The motor plate is not mounted on your motor mount either...

Do you have a pic from the other side of the mounts or top view of your gears as well?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help Gents! Video below answering questions, along with pics.

https://youtu.be/w3gMI7G1xrM

Looks like you are running a pinion/spur combo that are too small or the front bearing on the motor is worn badly.

The only way that the motor will contact the driveshaft is if the motor plate is out of true. Under normal circumstances the two will never touch.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

What size pinion is that? Looks way too small to be used for the slash (unless you change to a larger spur gear).
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The only way that the motor will contact the driveshaft is if the motor plate is out of true. Under normal circumstances the two will never touch.
    The top screw is not even screwed in all the way. Look at the angle of the washers and the gap between the plate and mount.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor

Iím pretty sure the motor mount is bent, so I ordered the King Headz aluminum one with bearing (it had good reviews). Hereís more video:

1. Comparing the installed 11 tooth pinion year to the 13 tooth that came installed: https://youtu.be/UPpPRatwfgk

2. Motor placed into mount, not yet secured: https://youtu.be/TsNrmTbGqxk

3. Motor screw tightened: https://youtu.be/aAhTubPl-9s

Last edited by jeffucd; 03-20-2020 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Updated third video link

RC Qualifier
    Is the lower motor plate locating (flat head) screw tight in the motor mount? The one the motor plate slides into first.

It might not fix the actual problem but you can just pop that plastic cap off the back of the motor.

RC Qualifier
    I'm the old guy with the bad eyes here, and even i can see the motor isnt perpendicular to the spur gear. Look how the motor isnt parallel with the center shaft. Would think tightening the motor bolts, mainly the top one, might do it, unless the plate is bent.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    According to the manual, the smallest pinion which can be used with the stock 54T spur gear is 13T. If you want to use a 12T or 11T motor pinion you'll have to remove the plastic end cap from the motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Is the lower motor plate locating (flat head) screw tight in the motor mount? The one the motor plate slides into first.

It might not fix the actual problem but you can just pop that plastic cap off the back of the motor.
    Thatís a good idea. Iíll try it!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    According to the manual, the smallest pinion which can be used with the stock 54T spur gear is 13T. If you want to use a 12T or 11T motor pinion you'll have to remove the plastic end cap from the motor.
    Thanks for looking this up Viking. Iíd like to keep the cap on so that it can protect the already fraying wires and like the smaller 11T for keeping temps down (I ran mostly 3S and have 2.8 tires). Iíll keep this in mind as a last resort.

RC Competitor

The lower motor mount screw was a little loose, but tightening down didnít add any more clearance. So I took Vikings suggestion and took off the motor cap. Looks good for now! Thanks for everyoneís input! Will see how it all fits together once the new parts come.

Last edited by jeffucd; 03-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffucd View Post
    Thanks for looking this up Viking. Iíd like to keep the cap on so that it can protect the already fraying wires and like the smaller 11T for keeping temps down (I ran mostly 3S and have 2.8 tires). Iíll keep this in mind as a last resort.

You do know that if you put a larger spur gear and larger pinion you can keep the same temp lowering gear ratio but not risk center drive shaft clearance issues plus keep the plastic end cap. The magic isn't in the tiny pinion gear it is in the ratio.

RC Qualifier

Ahh I just presumed the 54T spur was in use. Shouldnít assume!

I didnít know the smallest recommended pinion with the 54T was 13T. Iím running a 12T with a 40mm motor and itís working fine.

I wonder how the Rustler 4x4 differs. A friend is running 11/54 on one and thatís fine. With a HW Max10 SCT combo though.

Good to see you tightened the lower shoulder screw. That flies under the radar sometimes. I usually try tighten it until I have to work the motor plate into it so it holds with as much force as possible.

I think youíll find the kingheadz a major improvement. The alloy doesnít compress like the plastic mount when the mesh screw is cranked.
    Last edited by boosta; 03-21-2020 at 06:09 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    You do know that if you put a larger spur gear and larger pinion you can keep the same temp lowering gear ratio but not risk center drive shaft clearance issues plus keep the plastic end cap. The magic isn't in the tiny pinion gear it is in the ratio.
    That makes sense. Iíll that in mind so that I can get the whole system to work more harmoniously together.

For all - with the stock VXL system on 3S, anyone have a sweet spot for spur / pinion setup to avoid overheating?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Ahh I just presumed the 54T spur was in use. Shouldnít assume!

I didnít know the smallest recommended pinion with the 54T was 13T. Iím running a 12T with a 40mm motor and itís working fine.

I wonder how the Rustler 4x4 differs. A friend is running 11/54 on one and thatís fine. With a HW Max10 SCT combo though.

Good to see you tightened the lower shoulder screw. That flies under the radar sometimes. I usually try tighten it until I have to work the motor plate into it so it holds with as much force as possible.

I think youíll find the kingheadz a major improvement. The alloy doesnít compress like the plastic mount when the mesh screw is cranked.
    Iím new to this and donít know how many teeth the stock spur gear even has - so no worries!

Yes, addressing the lower shoulder screw helped and hoping to see some improvement with the KH mount so I can put the motor cap back on.

That all being said, I ran the slash through (2) 3S and (1) 2S batteries at the beach yesterday and didnít have any issues! I donít have any pics of the after, but hereís one with it in the background at an empty beach yesterday (we have been under shelter in place since Tuesday)

RC Competitor
    Installed the new parts today and I finally have clearance back! Screws for the motor mounts took a little finagling to get in there, but now itís fine even with the protective cap back on the motor. Also took a pic of the previous motor mount to show the wear - in case it helps anyone.

RC Qualifier
    Good stuff. Good to see mate!