Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 53
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21

    Angry Don't trim Sttering with TSM on will destroy 2085x - New Vid

    Uggg.

    Stock servo destroyed itself for no apparent reason on 7th run at a standstill. Bought new 2085x, worked great for 15 mins then same thing. Stock servo was mechanically stuck, new servo turns with hand fine but will not respond to radio.

    Traxxas support directed me through receiver reset, recal of esc and 15 min old $105 2085x is STILL not responding. Is it MY fault for not reading instructions? Are the entropy demons all up in my grill?

    Just got a new VG Racing rollcage too.

    If it is my fault for trimming steering with TSM on then I say TRAXXAS xmaxx instructions need to seriously EMPHASIZE the repercussions.

    Hopefully they will send me a new one.

    Anyhoo, here is my vid of my xmaxx working, at a spot I consider BASHTOPIA

    https://youtu.be/LScM7fdIrqs

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    758
    I got a 2085x on my work bench waiting to get installrd and it didn't come with instructions....

    Guess I better read up online somewhere.

    Never heard of a issue if tsm is on when installing servo.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    758
    Trx install video has zero mention of tsm

    In a little search I did find this post which may help you. Has instructions on how to reset transmitter.

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app




    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    Without invoking supernatural reasons, i can only assume the brand new servo failed after 15 mins is because I trimmed steering with tsm on. This admonition not to is in the instructions but i failed to member. And i have reset everything twice, checked wiring, fresh batts - STILL FAILS TO WORK. When hobby shop reopens will troubleshoot with external receiver, servo and xmitter

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    The issue is that it may have failed because i trimmed steering with tsm on NOT that I installed with tsm on

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    24
    Not mentioned here"How to Install a 2085X Steering Servo | Traxxas X-Maxx" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/OovfqJLdi3Q.
    But I'm glad you mentioned it I'll just leave TSM off always.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    141
    That shouldn’t have done it. Nobody else’s burns out a steering servo? I had a savox 0241 last 10 min before it stripped itself. Not in a xmaxx.
    I can’t imagine how it could damage a servo electrically.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    23
    In the manual it says turn TSM off when adjusting trim.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    In the manual it says turn TSM off when adjusting trim.

    Yes, I saw it in two places in the owners manual just skimming through it:






    That is just two places I could find (pages 15 and 17) in the manual quickly and I seem to recall it mentioned at least one other time when I fully read the owners manual.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-24-2020 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Fixed Pictures
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Yes, I saw it in two places in the owners manual just skimming through it:






    That is just two places I could find (pages 15 and 17) in the manual quickly and I seem to recall it mentioned at least one other time when I fully read the owners manual.
    I see this in the manual, and never works the trim with TSM on.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I see this in the manual, and never works the trim with TSM on.
    I have not adjusted trim yet, I only set the end points on my new servo after centered; but made sure TSM was off anyway. I never do anything with the steering servo when TSM is activated; it is just habit for me to always turn it off when even just making other adjustments. Remember, unless you change it, the default setting for the multi-function knob on the receiver from the factory is set to TSM.

    Since the stock X-Maxx steering linkages are a fixed length, I will definitely make sure TSM is off before making any sub-trim steering adjustments. Still though, I had two servos fail; 2085 and the 2085X, and I never even adjusted trim on those two before they failed.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-24-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Lesson learned.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I have not adjusted trim yet, I only set the end points on my new servo after centered; but made sure TSM was off anyway. I never do anything with the steering servo when TSM is activated; it is just habit for me to always turn it off when even just making other adjustments. Remember, unless you change it, the default setting for the multi-function knob on the receiver from the factory is set to TSM.

    Since the stock X-Maxx steering linkages are a fixed length, I will definitely make sure TSM is off before making any sub-trim steering adjustments. Still though, I had two servos fail; 2085 and the 2085X, and I never even adjusted trim on those two before they failed.
    Probably a bum or bad series of servos.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Probably a bum or bad series of servos.
    There is no probably about it.

    The first thing I do when I get a new servo, is triple check to make sure TSM is disabled and then set trim, sub-trim and end-points with the front wheels off to make doubly sure there is no contact or binding between the carriers and the "A" arms. That is only after I centered the servo first with TSM off and the linkage unattached.

    Turning on TSM is the last thing I do if at all!

    So when I had two servos fail in a row; one would only work when TSM was disabled (2085X) and the other just quit, there wasn't a "Probably" issue; I got two bad servos period.

    I just installed my replacement 2085 that Traxxas replaced under warranty; but have not had a chance to run it through its paces yet. I took a good half hour just slowly going through the steps of properly adjusting it so that there was no over-throw on the steering (end-points) to cause binding or servo stress.

    I always make sure my multi-function knob is disabled in the App and turned fully counter-clockwise on the transmitter when I turn off TSM digitally in the App to make sure it stays that way in case I bump the multi-function knob on the transmitter. The App overrides the transmitter settings and stays that way until changed in the App or physically through the menu and set buttons on the transmitter. I read that directly from the manual!

    You would think that if messing with the steering trim knob on the transmitter has the capability of destroying servos when TSM is active; Traxxas is giving us the wrong option knob to disable on the transmitter in the App.

    There should be an option to disable the steering trim knob in the App too; especially since that is the knob responsible on the transmitter for destroying servos as though it seems thus far when the multi-function knob is set to TSM adjustments that are "live".

    We should be able to disable the steering trim knob on the transmitter if that is indeed what is causing servos to fail, because having to remember to disable TSM all the time when adjusting the main steering trim knob on the transmitter isn't just something someone thinks twice about on the fly before they do it in the heat of running. It (steering trim) is something that has been adjusted on the fly for years before TSM was even around, and now that TSM is around, servos have been failing more and more often.

    Obviously, it is having dire consequences to the servo because it is fighting itself and if one accidentally bumps the steering trim knob on the transmitter while TSM is active, I guess we can just kiss $50~$100 bye-bye every time the trim knob on the transmitter is accidentally moved or bumped when TSM is active.

    Traxxas is obviously making a lot of money on accidental movement of the steering trim knobs on transmitters when TSM is active and "Live" in the App or manually set to the multi-function knob.

    Funny thing is, it never hurt my ProModeler servos when steering trim was adjusted with TSM active before I found out years ago how to set up servos with the Traxxas Link using Traxxas servos.

    Today, I mailed them back the faulty 2085X servo that I was hoping would last a good year like my ProModeler servos. I can't wait to see if the "Probably" factor continues when I know darn well how to set up steering servos.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-25-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixed.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    There is no probably about it.

    The first thing I do when I get a new servo, is triple check to make sure TSM is disabled and then set trim, sub-trim and end-points with the front wheels off to make doubly sure there is no contact or binding between the carriers and the "A" arms. That is only after I centered the servo first with TSM off and the linkage unattached.

    Turning on TSM is the last thing I do if at all!

    So when I had two servos fail in a row; one would only work when TSM was disabled (2085X) and the other just quit, there wasn't a "Probably" issue; I got two bad servos period.

    I just installed my replacement 2085 that Traxxas replaced under warranty; but have not had a chance to run it through its paces yet. I took a good half hour just slowly going through the steps of properly adjusting it so that there was no over-throw on the steering (end-points) to cause binding or servo stress.

    I always make sure my multi-function knob is disabled in the App and turned fully counter-clockwise on the transmitter when I turn off TSM digitally in the App to make sure it stays that way in case I bump the multi-function knob on the transmitter. The App overrides the transmitter settings and stays that way until changed in the App or physically through the menu and set buttons on the transmitter. I read that directly from the manual!

    You would think that if messing with the steering trim knob on the transmitter has the capability of destroying servos when TSM is active; Traxxas is giving us the wrong option knob to disable on the transmitter in the App.

    There should be an option to disable the steering trim knob in the App too; especially since that is the knob responsible on the transmitter for destroying servos as though it seems thus far when the multi-function knob is set to TSM adjustments that are "live".

    We should be able to disable the steering trim knob on the transmitter if that is indeed what is causing servos to fail, because having to remember to disable TSM all the time when adjusting the main steering trim knob on the transmitter isn't just something someone thinks twice about on the fly before they do it in the heat of running. It (steering trim) is something that has been adjusted on the fly for years before TSM was even around, and now that TSM is around, servos have been failing more and more often.

    Obviously, it is having dire consequences to the servo because it is fighting itself and if one accidentally bumps the steering trim knob on the transmitter while TSM is active, I guess we can just kiss $50~$100 bye-bye every time the trim knob on the transmitter is accidentally moved or bumped when TSM is active.

    Traxxas is obviously making a lot of money on accidental movement of the steering trim knobs on transmitters when TSM is active and "Live" in the App or manually set to the multi-function knob.

    Funny thing is, it never hurt my ProModeler servos when steering trim was adjusted with TSM active before I found out years ago how to set up servos with the Traxxas Link using Traxxas servos.

    Today, I mailed them back the faulty 2085X servo that I was hoping would last a good year like my ProModeler servos. I can't wait to see if the "Probably" factor continues when I know darn well how to set up steering servos.
    Agree with you and your tests about these servos.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Agree with you and your tests about these servos.

    Well, I actually don't have access to an extensive supply of 2085 and 2085X servos to prove the theory that the steering trim knob on the transmitter is actually the problematic source of the servo failures with TSM activated.

    However, if more and more members took the time to report stock or Traxxas servo failures in general instead of going the aftermarket route, I would be willing to bet that we could nail it down more specifically as to why the failures are occurring so often in TSM equipped models.

    It does make sense though that the steering trim feature would fight against the TSM feature and possibly burn out components on the circuit board due to conflicting commands sent through the board as to the actual position of the potentiometer in relation to the true position of the shaft.

    Hence my previous point about why can't we disable or lock the steering trim knob in the App to prevent accidental conflicting signals being sent to the servo that can harm it?

    Deductive conclusion reached based on simple reasoning of how feedback potentiometers work:

    The feedback potentiometer -- The shaft of the potentiometer is attached to the drive shaft of the servo. When the drive shaft rotates, so does the potentiometer. In that way, each and every rotation angle of the drive shaft, corresponds to a different resistance of the potentiometer. By reading the potentiometers' resistance, the controller is able to know the exact angle of the drive shaft of the servo.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-26-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Conclusion.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Well, I actually don't have access to an extensive supply of 2085 and 2085X servos to prove the theory that the steering trim knob on the transmitter is actually the problematic source of the servo failures with TSM activated.

    However, if more and more members took the time to report stock or Traxxas servo failures in general instead of going the aftermarket route, I would be willing to bet that we could nail it down more specifically as to why the failures are occurring so often in TSM equipped models.

    It does make sense though that the steering trim feature would fight against the TSM feature and possibly burn out components on the circuit board due to conflicting commands sent through the board as to the actual position of the potentiometer in relation to the true position of the shaft.

    Hence my previous point about why can't we disable or lock the steering trim knob in the App to prevent accidental conflicting signals being sent to the servo that can harm it?

    Deductive conclusion reached based on simple reasoning of how feedback potentiometers work:

    The feedback potentiometer -- The shaft of the potentiometer is attached to the drive shaft of the servo. When the drive shaft rotates, so does the potentiometer. In that way, each and every rotation angle of the drive shaft, corresponds to a different resistance of the potentiometer. By reading the potentiometers' resistance, the controller is able to know the exact angle of the drive shaft of the servo.
    Well, in fact, is a fail in the firmware or transmitter hardware, or both of them.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Well, in fact, is a fail in the firmware or transmitter hardware, or both of them.

    I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at.

    There is no firmware or transmitter hardware failure that is causing this. It is possibly caused by conflicting signals sent to the servo by an accidental steering trim command and the active TSM command fighting for precedence of the potentiometers resistance position in relation to the actual position of the servo shaft possibly causing a circuit board component failure or stress overload.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-26-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Coincidental?
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at.

    There is no firmware or transmitter hardware failure that is causing this. It is possibly caused by conflicting signals sent to the servo by an accidental steering trim command and the active TSM command fighting for precedence of the potentiometers resistance position in relation to the actual position of the servo shaft possibly causing a circuit board component failure or stress overload.
    For me, it seems a hardware componets failure or desing mistake. I appreciate your post and details very much, are usefull for this issue resolution and is a big investigational work. In my case, work with stock servo until it brokes, then, install a JX 46kg with adapter, more power, best perfomance and steel gears with brushless motor inside.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    For me, it seems a hardware componets failure or desing mistake.

    In fairness, I'll go with you on a possible design mistake that makes it risky to new users of the Traxxas Link App when it comes to the TSM function.. I like being in control of my vehicles at all times, and when the Traxxas Link App was introduced with the 6533 TSM Receivers taking over most of the manual settings that were done primarily with the transmitter, it took some end user input away that die hard transmitter fans were use to doing manually or safely.

    Still though, I think every function can still be done with the TX and a 6518 Receiver if people want to do entirely away with TSM.

    I remember the first time I went to check for updates to my Traxxas receiver (6533) and the vehicle ran away from me in reverse. I was sort of prepared for it as I was doing it outside and just chocked my wheels hard left and it rolled over so I could catch it. My Wi-Fi was somewhat unreliable and I guess the lack of a strong signal interrupted the "check for updates".

    Now, I just remove the pinions before an update in case something goes sideways.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-27-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  20. #20
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    In fairness, I'll go with you on a possible design mistake that makes it risky to new users of the Traxxas Link App when it comes to the TSM function.. I like being in control of my vehicles at all times, and when the Traxxas Link App was introduced with the 6533 TSM Receivers taking over most of the manual settings that were done primarily with the transmitter, it took some end user input away that die hard transmitter fans were use to doing manually or safely.

    Still though, I think every function can still be done with the TX and a 6518 Receiver if people want to do entirely away with TSM.

    I remember the first time I went to check for updates to my Traxxas receiver (6533) and the vehicle ran away from me in reverse. I was sort of prepared for it as I was doing it outside and just chocked my wheels hard left and it rolled over so I could catch it. My Wi-Fi was somewhat unreliable and I guess the lack of a strong signal interrupted the "check for updates".

    Now, I just remove the pinions before an update in case something goes sideways.
    I have done everything I can with resetting and the new servo still does not respond. In the pdf instructions there is even a procedure to center the servo before putting on servo horn, I did that - nothing. This is extra sucky because I could be out having fun with my new toy during this quarantine nonsense - since I am now unemployed...lotsa free time. At least someone feels m'pain lol

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty1313 View Post
    I have done everything I can with resetting and the new servo still does not respond. In the pdf instructions there is even a procedure to center the servo before putting on servo horn, I did that - nothing. This is extra sucky because I could be out having fun with my new toy during this quarantine nonsense - since I am now unemployed...lotsa free time. At least someone feels m'pain lol
    I finally got lucky and my fourth servo (2085X) worked more than once for a change. I e-mailed support and brought to their attention the increase in servo problems lately in the forums. If it will do any good, I have no idea; but I tried.

    I asked them nicely to take a serious look at their track record for the 2085 and 2085X since I got three in a row that flubbed and I didn't even make the mistake of adjusting steering trim with TSM on to invoke a failure within the servos.

    Every few years, Traxxas gets a bad supply of servos because they probably use the cheapest vendor they can find for the circuit boards and the servos end up blowing fuses. Sometimes on YouTube, you can find videos of some people who have actually figured out how to solder a jumper (piece of simple wire) in place of the blown fuse to restore functionality and life back to the servo.

    I'll keep watching YouTube for videos of how to repair the 2085 and 2085X if someone figures it out!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  22. #22
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    it would make sense for traxxas to engineer linear servo / actuator technology - no gears needed!

  23. #23

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Thanks for the link, but maybe this kind of servo requires two units for the RC car steering. Can you focus to turn left / right ?, I think the servo force is not enough for a car like X-Maxx in my opinion, and maybe the speed is a little slow.

  25. #25
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    This vid ? https://youtu.be/-yrDfuomtHQ

    Kevin is the shiznit, got a guy good at this stuff, will ask him

  26. #26
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    Tried the FUSE BYPASS soldering trick, servo worked while also smoking and glowing... Got in touch with Littlefuse, tried to ID replacement for the fuse in the 2085x labelled X, they couldn't ID the fuse. They said I would need to get it from the manufacturer. Can anyone at Traxxas, or you as a customer with a dead servo help?

    If Traxxas can't bridge the tech - customer service divide ... that vid

    https://youtu.be/XphjzSc_DnI has 28k views

    And I'm told this is misinformation.

    Will order one more 2085x and if it fails I am selling X-maxx for parts.

  27. #27
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    Disregard title of this thread, I did nothing wrong. Did some research on fuses. The fuse used in the servo is known as a POLYFUSE or Ressetable; it can take days weeks or years to reset however. My electronics expert friend suggested cooling the fuse. I'm like, if i have to put an ice cube on a servo....

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty1313 View Post
    Tried the FUSE BYPASS soldering trick, servo worked while also smoking and glowing... Got in touch with Littlefuse, tried to ID replacement for the fuse in the 2085x labelled X, they couldn't ID the fuse. They said I would need to get it from the manufacturer. Can anyone at Traxxas, or you as a customer with a dead servo help?

    If Traxxas can't bridge the tech - customer service divide ... that vid

    https://youtu.be/XphjzSc_DnI has 28k views

    And I'm told this is misinformation.

    Will order one more 2085x and if it fails I am selling X-maxx for parts.
    Interesting fixing procedure.

  29. #29
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    Dear Traxxas,

    I wouldn't be so upset if I were not IN LOVE with this X-Maxx. I owned two Revos and am hooked. Now that LIPO / Brushless is superior... I don't want to give up on this toy. I get entropy. But PLEASE... I am relatively poor and cannot afford what I can only assume is planned obsolescence. Maybe I'll start my own RC company someday... Just sell a $105 servo that works for more than 15 mins, OK? Your thousands of frustrated customers like me will applaud you announcing that you have solved this problem with a better fuse or circuit board design.

  30. #30
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty1313 View Post
    ..My electronics expert friend...
    Your expert electronics friend should be able to ID the fuse you are looking for.

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Your expert electronics friend should be able to ID the fuse you are looking for.
    Hey grizzly; I know he is talking about the 2085X; but............

    I still got a 2085 (2nd blown one) servo that I just decided I wasn't going to send back. I'm going to have a look at its circuit board just out of curiosity. I don't know yet if the fuse is in the 2085; but I'm going to have a look. The reason they were using those fuses on the 2075 servos, was to prevent someone from running higher than 6 volts through it.

    At one point, the fuses didn't exist on the 2075 servos and the later versions had the fuse or maybe it is vice versa; but I do know for sure that the fuse didn't exist on one of the versions of the 2075 servo.

    The problem is, internal BEC's in ESC's are unreliable for constant steady current flow and it is blowing their own (Traxxas) servos fuses all the time because of BEC spikes. Even external BEC's are unreliable for constant steady current flow; which is why in the RC Airplane profession, experts will use a 2S LiPo at 7.4~8.4 volts directly to power their servos instead of even thinking about running a BEC.

    After all, they have a $3000~5000 dollar plane up there they don't want to lose control of because of a blown servo fuse!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-09-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added something.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  32. #32
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Hey grizzly; I know he is talking about the 2085X; but............

    I still got a 2085 (2nd blown one) servo that I just decided I wasn't going to send back. I'm going to have a look at its circuit board just out of curiosity. I don't know yet if the fuse is in the 2085; but I'm going to have a look.
    My stock 2085 servo went bad also. I replaced it with the 2085X upgrade servo and haven't had another issue. One day I will look at my bad 2085 servo and see if I can fix for a spare. I haven't read of too many failures with the 2085X servo like what was being implied.

    The reason they were using those fuses on the 2075 servos, was to prevent someone from running higher than 6 volts through it...
    That doesn't make any sense for a couple of reasons:
    1. A fuse limits current not voltage.
    2. Traxxas made the servo to work with their own electronics and not intended for aftermarket products.
    3. The 2075 servo is used in the nitro vehicles where the NiMh receiver pack voltage is higher than 6v and not having issues.

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That doesn't make any sense for a couple of reasons:
    1. A fuse limits current not voltage.
    2. Traxxas made the servo to work with their own electronics and not intended for aftermarket products.
    3. The 2075 servo is used in the nitro vehicles where the NiMh receiver pack voltage is higher than 6v and not having issues.

    There are literally thousands of fuse design types for current and voltage:




    About the batteries in Nitro vehicles..........well you are wrong.

    Nitros either use four double "AA" batteries at 1.5 volts a piece for 6v or two different configurations of NiMh's at 6v.

    I know they may charge higher than 6v; but no more than 6 volts are drawn from them when in use since it is powering a servo or servos.



    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-10-2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added something.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  34. #34
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,138


    In your own photo it says a fuse controls too much current. Nowhere does it say a fuse regulates voltage. The voltage rating of a fuse is for the containment of the electrical Arc that is created when a fuse opens or blows.(the gap that is created)


    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    About the batteries in Nitro vehicles..........well you are wrong.

    Nitros either use four double "AA" batteries at 1.5 volts a piece for 6v or two different configurations of NiMh's at 6v.

    I know they may charge higher than 6v; but no more than 6 volts are drawn from them when in use since it is powering a servo or servos.
    If this was true nobody would need to use a BEC (internal or external) and could run their servo directly on battery voltage.

    So if I use a voltage of 25v the servo wouldn't be at that voltage because the servo regulates the voltage it sees? People that use higher voltage on their servos are gaining performance from something other than increasing the voltage? I have not seen a model RC servo with a built in voltage regulator.

    A servo draws the needed current it needs based on the voltage it is given, it does not regulate voltage.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If this was true nobody would need to use a BEC (internal or external) and could run their servo directly on battery voltage.
    Thank you for the correction grizzly.

    I still don't understand how those guys in RC planes are using a servo rated at 8.4 volts and using a 2S (8.4v) LiPo without a BEC and not browning out servos.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  36. #36
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    21
    What if a 6v resistor was soldered into the wire between receiver and servo, would that add another level of protection? Would that work? Will ask my guy when i see him.

    This thread, and i thank you guys so much for getting involved, is a great example of OPEN SOURCE EVERYTHING.
    We are doing collectively, for free, what Traxxas employees (should be doing) getting paid for...

  37. #37
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Thank you for the correction grizzly.

    I still don't understand how those guys in RC planes are using a servo rated at 8.4 volts and using a 2S (8.4v) LiPo without a BEC and not browning out servos.
    There is a difference between brown-out and burning-out. Which are you asking?

    A brown out is where there isn't enough current for the demand. The servo tries to draw more power than a BEC (or power supply) can provide. Causing everything connected to it to be affected,(ex. Losing radio signal).

    Not burning out servos would be a different question. A servo is basically an electric motor with gears and added circuitry to tell it to stop at a certain revolution. Any electric motor can be over-volted and still work, it would affect the life span of components, (ex. We do this all the time when we go to a higher LiPo cell count).

  38. #38
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty1313 View Post
    What if a 6v resistor was soldered into the wire between receiver and servo, would that add another level of protection? Would that work? Will ask my guy when i see him.
    Resistors don't work like that.

    This thread, and i thank you guys so much for getting involved, is a great example of OPEN SOURCE EVERYTHING.
    We are doing collectively, for free, what Traxxas employees (should be doing) getting paid for...
    How is this constructive criticism? Traxxas employees are doing what they are getting paid for, if they didn't Traxxas wouldn't be the thriving company they are.

    ...Your thousands of frustrated customers like me will applaud you announcing that you have solved this problem with a better fuse or circuit board design.
    Myself and others have had good luck with the servo 2085x upgrade. Haven't had a problem since they were installed. I am happy with Traxxas for the better servo.

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    There is a difference between brown-out and burning-out. Which are you asking?

    I'm not sure which I am asking because neither of those two things is happening even when no BEC is present. So if they (RC Airplane enthusiasts) are using a servo rated at 8.4 volts maximum input and hooking a 2S (8.4 volt) LiPo directly as a power source without using a BEC and causing neither a brown-out or burn-out of the servo, they must know something we don't.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  40. #40
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    ...So if they (RC Airplane enthusiasts) are using a servo rated at 8.4 volts maximum input and hooking a 2S (8.4 volt) LiPo directly as a power source without using a BEC and causing neither a brown-out or burn-out of the servo, they must know something we don't.
    How to save weight! No need for the extra weight of a BEC, also one less thing to fail.

    8.4v is still 8.4v either coming directly from battery or from a BEC. Difference would be amp capacity. The Lipo battery amp capacity would be the C rating (2s LiPo 1000mah 20C = 20A). The BEC would have its own amp rating (usually lower than what a battery can provide). It would make sense to avoid the extra of a BEC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •