RC poster

Angry Don't trim Sttering with TSM on will destroy 2085x - New Vid

Uggg.

Stock servo destroyed itself for no apparent reason on 7th run at a standstill. Bought new 2085x, worked great for 15 mins then same thing. Stock servo was mechanically stuck, new servo turns with hand fine but will not respond to radio.

Traxxas support directed me through receiver reset, recal of esc and 15 min old $105 2085x is STILL not responding. Is it MY fault for not reading instructions? Are the entropy demons all up in my grill?

Just got a new VG Racing rollcage too.

If it is my fault for trimming steering with TSM on then I say TRAXXAS xmaxx instructions need to seriously EMPHASIZE the repercussions.

Hopefully they will send me a new one.

Anyhoo, here is my vid of my xmaxx working, at a spot I consider BASHTOPIA

https://youtu.be/LScM7fdIrqs

I got a 2085x on my work bench waiting to get installrd and it didn't come with instructions....

Guess I better read up online somewhere.

Never heard of a issue if tsm is on when installing servo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Trx install video has zero mention of tsm

In a little search I did find this post which may help you. Has instructions on how to reset transmitter.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Without invoking supernatural reasons, i can only assume the brand new servo failed after 15 mins is because I trimmed steering with tsm on. This admonition not to is in the instructions but i failed to member. And i have reset everything twice, checked wiring, fresh batts - STILL FAILS TO WORK. When hobby shop reopens will troubleshoot with external receiver, servo and xmitter

RC poster
    The issue is that it may have failed because i trimmed steering with tsm on NOT that I installed with tsm on

RC Enthusiast
    Not mentioned here"How to Install a 2085X Steering Servo | Traxxas X-Maxx" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/OovfqJLdi3Q.
    But I'm glad you mentioned it I'll just leave TSM off always.

RC Racer
    That shouldn’t have done it. Nobody else’s burns out a steering servo? I had a savox 0241 last 10 min before it stripped itself. Not in a xmaxx.
    I can’t imagine how it could damage a servo electrically.

RC Enthusiast
    In the manual it says turn TSM off when adjusting trim.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    In the manual it says turn TSM off when adjusting trim.

Yes, I saw it in two places in the owners manual just skimming through it:

That is just two places I could find (pages 15 and 17) in the manual quickly and I seem to recall it mentioned at least one other time when I fully read the owners manual.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-24-2020 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Fixed Pictures
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Yes, I saw it in two places in the owners manual just skimming through it:

That is just two places I could find (pages 15 and 17) in the manual quickly and I seem to recall it mentioned at least one other time when I fully read the owners manual.
    I see this in the manual, and never works the trim with TSM on.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I see this in the manual, and never works the trim with TSM on.
    I have not adjusted trim yet, I only set the end points on my new servo after centered; but made sure TSM was off anyway. I never do anything with the steering servo when TSM is activated; it is just habit for me to always turn it off when even just making other adjustments. Remember, unless you change it, the default setting for the multi-function knob on the receiver from the factory is set to TSM.

Since the stock X-Maxx steering linkages are a fixed length, I will definitely make sure TSM is off before making any sub-trim steering adjustments. Still though, I had two servos fail; 2085 and the 2085X, and I never even adjusted trim on those two before they failed.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-24-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Lesson learned.

RC Racer
    I have not adjusted trim yet, I only set the end points on my new servo after centered; but made sure TSM was off anyway. I never do anything with the steering servo when TSM is activated; it is just habit for me to always turn it off when even just making other adjustments. Remember, unless you change it, the default setting for the multi-function knob on the receiver from the factory is set to TSM.

Since the stock X-Maxx steering linkages are a fixed length, I will definitely make sure TSM is off before making any sub-trim steering adjustments. Still though, I had two servos fail; 2085 and the 2085X, and I never even adjusted trim on those two before they failed.
    Probably a bum or bad series of servos.

Probably a bum or bad series of servos.
    There is no probably about it.

The first thing I do when I get a new servo, is triple check to make sure TSM is disabled and then set trim, sub-trim and end-points with the front wheels off to make doubly sure there is no contact or binding between the carriers and the "A" arms. That is only after I centered the servo first with TSM off and the linkage unattached.

Turning on TSM is the last thing I do if at all!

So when I had two servos fail in a row; one would only work when TSM was disabled (2085X) and the other just quit, there wasn't a "Probably" issue; I got two bad servos period.

I just installed my replacement 2085 that Traxxas replaced under warranty; but have not had a chance to run it through its paces yet. I took a good half hour just slowly going through the steps of properly adjusting it so that there was no over-throw on the steering (end-points) to cause binding or servo stress.

I always make sure my multi-function knob is disabled in the App and turned fully counter-clockwise on the transmitter when I turn off TSM digitally in the App to make sure it stays that way in case I bump the multi-function knob on the transmitter. The App overrides the transmitter settings and stays that way until changed in the App or physically through the menu and set buttons on the transmitter. I read that directly from the manual!

You would think that if messing with the steering trim knob on the transmitter has the capability of destroying servos when TSM is active; Traxxas is giving us the wrong option knob to disable on the transmitter in the App.

There should be an option to disable the steering trim knob in the App too; especially since that is the knob responsible on the transmitter for destroying servos as though it seems thus far when the multi-function knob is set to TSM adjustments that are "live".

We should be able to disable the steering trim knob on the transmitter if that is indeed what is causing servos to fail, because having to remember to disable TSM all the time when adjusting the main steering trim knob on the transmitter isn't just something someone thinks twice about on the fly before they do it in the heat of running. It (steering trim) is something that has been adjusted on the fly for years before TSM was even around, and now that TSM is around, servos have been failing more and more often.

Obviously, it is having dire consequences to the servo because it is fighting itself and if one accidentally bumps the steering trim knob on the transmitter while TSM is active, I guess we can just kiss $50~$100 bye-bye every time the trim knob on the transmitter is accidentally moved or bumped when TSM is active.

Traxxas is obviously making a lot of money on accidental movement of the steering trim knobs on transmitters when TSM is active and "Live" in the App or manually set to the multi-function knob.

Funny thing is, it never hurt my ProModeler servos when steering trim was adjusted with TSM active before I found out years ago how to set up servos with the Traxxas Link using Traxxas servos.

Today, I mailed them back the faulty 2085X servo that I was hoping would last a good year like my ProModeler servos. I can't wait to see if the "Probably" factor continues when I know darn well how to set up steering servos.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-25-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixed.

RC Racer
    There is no probably about it.

The first thing I do when I get a new servo, is triple check to make sure TSM is disabled and then set trim, sub-trim and end-points with the front wheels off to make doubly sure there is no contact or binding between the carriers and the "A" arms. That is only after I centered the servo first with TSM off and the linkage unattached.

Turning on TSM is the last thing I do if at all!

So when I had two servos fail in a row; one would only work when TSM was disabled (2085X) and the other just quit, there wasn't a "Probably" issue; I got two bad servos period.

I just installed my replacement 2085 that Traxxas replaced under warranty; but have not had a chance to run it through its paces yet. I took a good half hour just slowly going through the steps of properly adjusting it so that there was no over-throw on the steering (end-points) to cause binding or servo stress.

I always make sure my multi-function knob is disabled in the App and turned fully counter-clockwise on the transmitter when I turn off TSM digitally in the App to make sure it stays that way in case I bump the multi-function knob on the transmitter. The App overrides the transmitter settings and stays that way until changed in the App or physically through the menu and set buttons on the transmitter. I read that directly from the manual!

You would think that if messing with the steering trim knob on the transmitter has the capability of destroying servos when TSM is active; Traxxas is giving us the wrong option knob to disable on the transmitter in the App.

There should be an option to disable the steering trim knob in the App too; especially since that is the knob responsible on the transmitter for destroying servos as though it seems thus far when the multi-function knob is set to TSM adjustments that are "live".

We should be able to disable the steering trim knob on the transmitter if that is indeed what is causing servos to fail, because having to remember to disable TSM all the time when adjusting the main steering trim knob on the transmitter isn't just something someone thinks twice about on the fly before they do it in the heat of running. It (steering trim) is something that has been adjusted on the fly for years before TSM was even around, and now that TSM is around, servos have been failing more and more often.

Obviously, it is having dire consequences to the servo because it is fighting itself and if one accidentally bumps the steering trim knob on the transmitter while TSM is active, I guess we can just kiss $50~$100 bye-bye every time the trim knob on the transmitter is accidentally moved or bumped when TSM is active.

Traxxas is obviously making a lot of money on accidental movement of the steering trim knobs on transmitters when TSM is active and "Live" in the App or manually set to the multi-function knob.

Funny thing is, it never hurt my ProModeler servos when steering trim was adjusted with TSM active before I found out years ago how to set up servos with the Traxxas Link using Traxxas servos.

Today, I mailed them back the faulty 2085X servo that I was hoping would last a good year like my ProModeler servos. I can't wait to see if the "Probably" factor continues when I know darn well how to set up steering servos.
    Agree with you and your tests about these servos.

Agree with you and your tests about these servos.

Well, I actually don't have access to an extensive supply of 2085 and 2085X servos to prove the theory that the steering trim knob on the transmitter is actually the problematic source of the servo failures with TSM activated.

However, if more and more members took the time to report stock or Traxxas servo failures in general instead of going the aftermarket route, I would be willing to bet that we could nail it down more specifically as to why the failures are occurring so often in TSM equipped models.

It does make sense though that the steering trim feature would fight against the TSM feature and possibly burn out components on the circuit board due to conflicting commands sent through the board as to the actual position of the potentiometer in relation to the true position of the shaft.

Hence my previous point about why can't we disable or lock the steering trim knob in the App to prevent accidental conflicting signals being sent to the servo that can harm it?

Deductive conclusion reached based on simple reasoning of how feedback potentiometers work:

The feedback potentiometer -- The shaft of the potentiometer is attached to the drive shaft of the servo. When the drive shaft rotates, so does the potentiometer. In that way, each and every rotation angle of the drive shaft, corresponds to a different resistance of the potentiometer. By reading the potentiometers' resistance, the controller is able to know the exact angle of the drive shaft of the servo.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-26-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Conclusion.

RC Racer
    Well, I actually don't have access to an extensive supply of 2085 and 2085X servos to prove the theory that the steering trim knob on the transmitter is actually the problematic source of the servo failures with TSM activated.

However, if more and more members took the time to report stock or Traxxas servo failures in general instead of going the aftermarket route, I would be willing to bet that we could nail it down more specifically as to why the failures are occurring so often in TSM equipped models.

It does make sense though that the steering trim feature would fight against the TSM feature and possibly burn out components on the circuit board due to conflicting commands sent through the board as to the actual position of the potentiometer in relation to the true position of the shaft.

Hence my previous point about why can't we disable or lock the steering trim knob in the App to prevent accidental conflicting signals being sent to the servo that can harm it?

Deductive conclusion reached based on simple reasoning of how feedback potentiometers work:

The feedback potentiometer -- The shaft of the potentiometer is attached to the drive shaft of the servo. When the drive shaft rotates, so does the potentiometer. In that way, each and every rotation angle of the drive shaft, corresponds to a different resistance of the potentiometer. By reading the potentiometers' resistance, the controller is able to know the exact angle of the drive shaft of the servo.
    Well, in fact, is a fail in the firmware or transmitter hardware, or both of them.

Well, in fact, is a fail in the firmware or transmitter hardware, or both of them.

I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at.

There is no firmware or transmitter hardware failure that is causing this. It is possibly caused by conflicting signals sent to the servo by an accidental steering trim command and the active TSM command fighting for precedence of the potentiometers resistance position in relation to the actual position of the servo shaft possibly causing a circuit board component failure or stress overload.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-26-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Coincidental?

RC Racer
    I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at.

There is no firmware or transmitter hardware failure that is causing this. It is possibly caused by conflicting signals sent to the servo by an accidental steering trim command and the active TSM command fighting for precedence of the potentiometers resistance position in relation to the actual position of the servo shaft possibly causing a circuit board component failure or stress overload.
    For me, it seems a hardware componets failure or desing mistake. I appreciate your post and details very much, are usefull for this issue resolution and is a big investigational work. In my case, work with stock servo until it brokes, then, install a JX 46kg with adapter, more power, best perfomance and steel gears with brushless motor inside.

For me, it seems a hardware componets failure or desing mistake.

In fairness, I'll go with you on a possible design mistake that makes it risky to new users of the Traxxas Link App when it comes to the TSM function.. I like being in control of my vehicles at all times, and when the Traxxas Link App was introduced with the 6533 TSM Receivers taking over most of the manual settings that were done primarily with the transmitter, it took some end user input away that die hard transmitter fans were use to doing manually or safely.

Still though, I think every function can still be done with the TX and a 6518 Receiver if people want to do entirely away with TSM.

I remember the first time I went to check for updates to my Traxxas receiver (6533) and the vehicle ran away from me in reverse. I was sort of prepared for it as I was doing it outside and just chocked my wheels hard left and it rolled over so I could catch it. My Wi-Fi was somewhat unreliable and I guess the lack of a strong signal interrupted the "check for updates".

Now, I just remove the pinions before an update in case something goes sideways.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-27-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Spelling.