RC poster

Slash 2wd Motor Problem

Hi, I have a slash 2wd brushed with a titan 550 12t and I was racing it one day and the motor started to make a winding sound. A guy said it was my motor going out. Is this true or is it the gears? and should I upgrade to a better motor or replace the current one with a new one?
    Please help me out! Thanks !

Brushed motors are not meant for extended high speed use. If used for racing they do not last long at all but that is why they(Titan 12T) are so cheap also. If you want speed best to go brushless. If you like what you get from brushed you don't have to spend much to get the same with a much longer life span.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoboy123 View Post
    the motor started to make a winding sound
    RIP, Titan 12T.

My son is heck on those motors, we've killed 5 of them since Christmas.

I actually went with a 17T 540 motor (power hobby I think) on eBay this last time around, because I knew he was just gonna kill it anyways and I might as well save about half vs the Titan. Running the 540 with a 15T pinion and stock spur, it's near enough in performance that we're still having fun.

If you don't have a formula you are adhering to (like stock brushed Slash racing), then go right to a brushless setup of your choice ASAP.

RC Qualifier
    try cleaning it and lubing the bushings......

Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    try cleaning it and lubing the bushings......
    This would be my first step, You might have gotten a little something worked into the bushings. Plus, to keep the motor in good working order, and to get the most life out of it, the motor should be cleaned every 15-20 packs (normal operating conditions). If you run in dusty areas, then every 5-10 packs, and if you run it in mud/water/snow, clean it when you are done for the days.

For cleaning I use Dynamite Electric Motor cleaner.
    For lubrication, I use a light machine oil made for bicycle chains.

• Remove the motor
    • Blow out with compressed air (20 - 30 psi)
    • Spray the motor cleaner through the motor until it runs clear
    - Well-ventilated area
    - Have something to catch the motor cleaner in (it will evaporate in about a day)
    - Wear eye and hand protection
    • Blow out the excess cleaner with compress air
    • Let it sit over night (an hour or two a least)
    • Put a drop of light machine oil on each bushing, spin the motor to work it in.
    • Reinstall the motor
    - Make sure the gear mesh is right
    • Power it up and make sure the wheels spin in the proper direction, and there are no strange noises
    • Its a good idea to monitor temps every five minutes or so during the first pack to make sure everything is happy ( < 160 */f)
    • If everything is good, drive it like you rented it...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    In our experience, once it starts making noise, you end up cleaning it constantly and failure is around the corner.

The brushless motors are sealed a bit better, much less troublesome...

RC poster
    What every one else said... once they start to whine they are about done. Our club went to the Hobbywing Juststock 13.5 FTM because we were all going through so many 12T.

The plus is that usually for about the last 5 or 10 minutes before they smoke they are usually bad fast.