Thread: TRX-4 runtime

RC poster

TRX-4 runtime

Looking into RC trucks again after a long time. I used to have a nitro buggy which I loved, but the TRX-4 with Traxx looks sweet. After upgrades how much runtime do you typically get out of it?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gee4vee View Post
    Looking into RC trucks again after a long time. I used to have a nitro buggy which I loved, but the TRX-4 with Traxx looks sweet. After upgrades how much runtime do you typically get out of it?
    Depends on battery...(I have the same model)

2s 5000mah good 45 mins
    2s 7600mah 1-1.25 hours
    3s 5000mah 40 mins

Running stock motor and esc.
    Added lots of brass weight and 3 separate light sets running off same battery.

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the info! Those are pretty good runtimes. How long to recharge those batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Depends on battery...(I have the same model)

2s 5000mah good 45 mins
    2s 7600mah 1-1.25 hours
    3s 5000mah 40 mins

Running stock motor and esc.
    Added lots of brass weight and 3 separate light sets running off same battery.

Hope that helps

RC Racer
    At 4A about 1 hour for 5000mah and 1.5 7600

RC Competitor
    for me i get about 45 mins with a 2200 3s pack. 2-3 hours off of a 4000 3s and i have never been able to run a 5000 2s dead. If you just want crazy long runtimes stick with something big, and if you want it to perform well run the smallest battery you can. i like using a 2200 3s. they fit low and dont raise the the cg.

RC poster
    When you say perform well, do you mean it’ll drive faster or more torque or...? So it’s a trade off between runtime and performance in general?

Quote Originally Posted by patmanz28 View Post
    for me i get about 45 mins with a 2200 3s pack. 2-3 hours off of a 4000 3s and i have never been able to run a 5000 2s dead. If you just want crazy long runtimes stick with something big, and if you want it to perform well run the smallest battery you can. i like using a 2200 3s. they fit low and dont raise the the cg.

When you say perform well, do you mean it’ll drive faster or more torque or...? So it’s a trade off between runtime and performance in general?
    Crawlers, unless you are running something insane, runtimes are fairly constant, no matter how you are running it.

Running a better system will give you better run times as well. I run 3S 4300mhs packs on a Mamba-X pushing a 1800kv sensored brushless motor, generally I get an hour and a half on a pack.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

My TRX4 runs a good 2-3 hours off of it's 3s 5000 mah lipo, but Traxx may drain the battery a bit more.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC poster
    Thatís not bad at all for upgrading both the ESC and motor. What motor did you put? How did it improve over stock? Iíve read that the stock servos sometimes struggle with steering with Traxx. Can the servos be swapped out for something with more torque?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Crawlers, unless you are running something insane, runtimes are fairly constant, no matter how you are running it.

Running a better system will give you better run times as well. I run 3S 4300mhs packs on a Mamba-X pushing a 1800kv sensored brushless motor, generally I get an hour and a half on a pack.

RC Racer
    Thatís not bad at all for upgrading both the ESC and motor. What motor did you put? How did it improve over stock? Iíve read that the stock servos sometimes struggle with steering with Traxx. Can the servos be swapped out for something with more torque?
    I changed mine for the Traxxas 400 servo. With the Traxx, difference is night and day.
    My servo blew in my slash 4x4 so timing was perfect, I recycled the stock seevo from TRX-4 into slash

In my main TRX4, I have the Castle 1800kv Mamba-X combo. In my TRX6, I have the Mamba-X with a HW 2170kv, both provide excellent power and run time. Over stock, speed and power are greatly improved, the TRX4, both trucks can crawl smoothly at very slow speeds, but also have the wheel speed to get over obstacles when needed.

With that, the stock system really isn't bad, my and actually works quite well. My main grip with it is the ESC's 1A BEC, when Traxxas made it 3S-capable, they should have also given it a 3A BEC. So, if you are going to put a higher torque servo in, it is recommended that you install an external BEC as well. The Traxxas BEC works, and is, for the most part, plug-n-play. But, when compared to other external BECs out there, it is expensive, and only 3A.

The stock servo is only 120oz, which is ok for light trail running, but for any kind of crawling, should be a minimum of 200oz. To steer with any kind of authority on the rocks you really need a servo with at least 300oz, and to cover all bases, including tracks, 400oz.

If you are interested, here are my TRX4 and TRX6 builds:

TRX6-
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...tscott-s-TRX-6
    TRX4-
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...t-s-TRX4/page5
    TRX4 Tonka-
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ow-Truck/page3
    Last edited by Greatscott; 03-26-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    When you say perform well, do you mean itíll drive faster or more torque or...? So itís a trade off between runtime and performance in general?
    Sorry. Wasn't around. Lower cg means less tipovers. Less weight means better crawling and sidehilling. If you have a buddy with a small 3s like 1800 to 2200 try that compared to a big 5000 on the rocks and you will see

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Sorry for a pretty random question but does anyone else have trouble fitting Traxxas 3s 5000 mah batteries into the trx4? The connector gets in the way making the battery too long. The only way to be able to fit it is to flip the battery upside down. Is this okay to do? Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    I see around an hour with my Protek 3s 4100mah LiHV packs and a Tekin RX4/ROC412HD 1800kv combo. Plus my truck is at twice as heavy as a stock one. If I run the full light kit it might take 10 minutes of runtime off..

RC Enthusiast
    I'm a new TRX4 owner and have yet to really put it through it's paces in my planned "crawler course area", (The Crono virus is keeping me away from that ) but I was amazed to get at least 2.5 hours out of the Traxxas 3S5000 batteries. I haven't been doing RC for many years, so this is so different from those early days when 15 minutes was good going!

To Ya Boy, I found the 3S5000 to be "snug" - with the wires at the rear of the car it seems like a case of gently easing them down so the clip slides over them t lock.