RC poster

A quick question regarding beadlock rims

Hello all, hope you are all keeping well! So, as I mentioned in an earlier thread ( https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-my-TRX4-Traxx ), I had purchased several parts to upgrade my TRX4 Traxx edition with. In that thread, @Greatscott provided me some invaluable suggestions on how I should approach the project, either installing one upgrade at a time, or simply performing them all simultaneously, and his recommendation was to "gut it like a fish" and install them all simultaneously, which is how I planning on proceeding.

The final item I ordered arrived from China, some 2.2 beadlock rims, as have the 2.2 Pro-Line Hyrax. My question is regarding these rims and tires. These rims are difficult to work with, even with the included 120mm tires, and given this is my first foray into any of this perhaps all beadlocks are difficult to work with. However, the question I have is, when I place the inner ring of the rim in the middle of the tire, the foam is actually wider than said ring. So, once the ring is placed into the middle of the tire, you have the ring with white foam extending out beyond both sides of the ring. Now, maybe this is normal, and once you begin putting the rim together it will push the foam into place, I do not know. Perhaps this is a really dumb rookie question, and that I cannot argue against. But, my bottom line question is:

Is having the tire foam wider than the inner ring of the rims, before screwing the rim together, ok, or are these rims simply not wide enough for the Hyrax, thus requiring that I purchase a wider set of rims for these tires? The Hyrax are much larger than the 120mm tires that came with the rims, both in width and height, so in my mind it would be perfectly conceivable for them to not fit these rims. That would suck, as I really like these rims, but have no doubt I will find a more suitable, yet equally liked, replacement, if need be.

Thank you, in advance, for any help you might provide!! On a side note, @B-stinga had requested that I take lots of before/after pics, and I wanted to assure him I will be, and will be posting them in the forums here once finished.

Quote Originally Posted by BA0701 View Post
    But, my bottom line question is:

Is having the tire foam wider than the inner ring of the rims, before screwing the rim together, ok, or are these rims simply not wide enough for the Hyrax, thus requiring that I purchase a wider set of rims for these tires? The Hyrax are much larger than the 120mm tires that came with the rims, both in width and height, so in my mind it would be perfectly conceivable for them to not fit these rims. That would suck, as I really like these rims, but have no doubt I will find a more suitable, yet equally liked, replacement, if need be.

Thank you, in advance, for any help you might provide!! On a side note, @B-stinga had requested that I take lots of before/after pics, and I wanted to assure him I will be, and will be posting them in the forums here once finished.
    Yup, that is normal for the foams to be wider that the rig or the rims, it all gets swished in.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Yup, that is normal for the foams to be wider that the rig or the rims, it all gets swished in.
    @Greatscott , thank you very much for that. I actually had gotten one of them done last night, after tinkering with them. Was going to update this thread, but then had an emergency with one of our dogs at 2AM, so apologies for that, but we were at the Emergency Vet for over 4 hours.

I think these 2.2 Hyrax may be a little too tall for my liking, and am leaning towards getting some 1.9 Hyrax instead, or possibly some smaller 2.2 tires, say 120-130mm. So, if anyone is looking for some brand spanking new 2.2 Hyrax, only one of which has even been mounted on a rim, I'd be happy to consider selling or trading these for a great price.

I was also looking to edit the thread title to remove the word quick, because it could be considered anything but. However, I seem unable to locate the "edit" button.

Yeah, unless you are going for a monster look, 2.2s are just a bit too tall for the TRX4 for my taste.

Hope everything worked out with your dog. If you are like me, you don't have pets, you have kids with tails.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Oh yes, our pets are family members, no less important than any other member of the family. She is doing well, thank you for asking. She has cancer in her abdomen and in her lungs. We lost her sister to the exact same cancer 8 months ago, and with her sister, it took her really quick, two weeks to the day from the day she was diagnosed. This one, we are in her sixth week, and she is doing amazingly well, except she gets fluid build up in her chest that makes it difficult for her to breathe, so like last night we have to take her in and get the fluid drawn out of her chest and then she is good again. We have no idea how much longer we have with her, but we are thankful for every day we get that she is feeling as good as she has been. You wouldn't know she was even sick, most of the time, even the vet is really surprised by how well she is doing, but keeps reminding us that can change in a moments notice.

It's funny, the size difference from one 2.2 to another. I have the 2.2 tires that came with the rims, and they are almost the same size as the 1.9s that came with the TRX4, and then you jump to these Hyrax and they look almost like an entirely different class. The tires that came with the rims are 120mm, so I think as long as I stick close to that size, I will be fine. In the mean time, while I try to find a replacement set of tires that fit proper, I'll either sell or trade these Hyrax, or will just hang onto them to put on possibly another vehicle in the future. They are really soft and sticky, so I now fully understand what all the hype is about, and I see some people running them on their TRX4s and being totally happy with the setup, but for my taste I think I'll stick to around 120-130mm sized tires for this particular truck.

Thank you again, your help and insight has been invaluable, and I hope to be able to return the favor one of these days. If you have any routing or switching questions for your home or corporate networks, I can certainly help in that arena, but am simply too new to this hobby to be able to provide much assistance