RC Enthusiast

New UDR owner, question on esc

Hi everyone, new owner here. Had a rustler about 15 years ago and have been out of the hobby ever since. Got a UDR this week for me and my two year old to play with and man the new RC stuff is insane. This is my first experience with lipo batteries as well. I bought a Traxxas live dual charger and the 6700 mAh 4S. The truck ran great and I have no complaints. Put some black electrical tape on the rear diff because of the dirt issue I've read about. The only thing that threw me off is that the ESC made a buzzing sound. Not just when giving it throttle, but when just sitting idle. Is that normal? Going to run it a little later this evening again, I'll post back with a better description of the sound I'm hearing. Probably normal, just thought I would ask.

RC Champion
    most likely the esc fan running
    fabricator

Yeah, that is definitely normal. It is the cooling fan on the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    It's possible that the noise you're hearing is the steering servo trying to re-center.

Do you hear the noise all of the time when the truck is on, or just sometimes? A buzzing noise all of the time is going to be your ESC fan as referred to above. A sometimes buzzing noise would probably be your steering servo.

To help your servo center, either drive the vehicle slightly forward, or lift the front wheels off of the ground. Either of those actions will take weight off of the front wheels, and allow your servo to re-center to stop the buzzing.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks for the comments guys. I figured it was nothing

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, another question for you fellas. When I plug in my 4S pack (after turning the transmitter on) the connection Sparks a little and makes a pop sound. Is that normal?

RC Qualifier
    Yep, normal. Mine does the same thing.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Light1984 View Post
    Ok, another question for you fellas. When I plug in my 4S pack (after turning the transmitter on) the connection Sparks a little and makes a pop sound. Is that normal?
    Mine does too....kinda scared me a little......

RC Enthusiast
    10-4, thanks for confirmation.

RC poster
    Just a note to keep in mind. for those that want the power button to turn on and OFF. Do NOT update the firmware! You will lose the ability to turn off via the power button. It's important to me as I have lights on the roof and having to turn it over every time to disconnect the lipos would be annoying/damaging. Plus i usually shut it off for a few minutes while driving it for various reasons. By not updating one will not be able to use the Bluetooth function dashboard and telemetry. Personally I don't care, just something to keep ion mind. I contacted TRAXXAS to ask if there is a fix and they said NO. So once again if one updates, one will NOT be able to go back! If the on/OFF button is important to anyone, don't update the firmware or go with another brand for ESC.
    Last edited by akconcept; 05-18-2020 at 01:38 PM.