RC poster

4x4 Monster Slash

Iíve been debating transforming my slash 4x4 VXL into a monster slash...wondering what kind of suggestions anybody has? Not sure if I need to upgrade my axles, motor, gearing, etc...Any body have any experience or have you made the leap to a 4x4 Monster Slash?

RC Qualifier
    Yes. I've had a little experience with a monster slash. You need to figure out what size wheels and tires you want first. Do you want 2.8 size wheels/tires, or do you want bigger jconcepts Renegade sized tires? Once you figure that out, then you can think about a body, and how you're going to gear the truck. Then you can think about what upgrades you may or may not need

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    A combination that worked for me (starting with Ultimate):
    - Pro-Line Trencher 2.8"
    - Pre-Cut Monster Fusion Clear Body
    - Extended Front & Rear Body Mounts
    Running usually with a 2S for warm-up with my kid, and then 3S LiPo battery

Last edited by Watt_The_Wheels; 03-27-2020 at 07:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    As Tom Meents would say, " go big or go home." Most everything I do is Extreme. Here is my take on the monster slash. The tires are jconcept Renegade 2.6 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Watt_The_Wheels View Post
    - Pro-Line Trencher 2.8"

I love this setup with the new profusion body. After I'm done building my Stampede 4x4, this may be my next monster

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-29-2020 at 01:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Iíd probably just run the 2.8ís...didnít know if the brushless system was already enough to handle the tires and stuff. Iíve seen videos saying you might have to change pinion gears if your motor starts heating up and stuff.

MaXDee that thing is sweet! Donít think I could bring myself to drive something that pretty haha.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-29-2020 at 01:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 307rcdad View Post
    I’d probably just run the 2.8’s...didn’t know if the brushless system was already enough to handle the tires and stuff. I’ve seen videos saying you might have to change pinion gears if your motor starts heating up and stuff.
    You might have to gear down a couple of teeth on the pinion for sure to keep the motor temps down. My son runs 2.8 Mashers on his stock Velenion geared 54/13 and hasn't had any problems with heat.

Quote Originally Posted by 307rcdad View Post
    MaXDee that thing is sweet! Don’t think I could bring myself to drive something that pretty haha.
    Thank you for the kind words. I beat on that truck! I don't launch it 10ft in the air, but I DRIVE it. It can take it. It's a tough truck. The only thing I've broken in 2.5 years is a rear stub axle.

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-29-2020 at 01:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I beat on that truck! I don't launch it 10ft in the air, but I DRIVE it. It can take it. It's a tough truck. The only thing I've broken in 2.5 years is a rear stub axle.

Thanks for the gearing info! I just replaced a rear stub axle yesterday haha. I have upgraded to the Traxxas steel spline front axles because I sheared one of the plastic yolks on the front stub axle and ended up losing the lower half of the front axle assembly. Today I was out with the kids and had one of the rear output drive yolks come unhinged, not broken but it’s wore out. Thinking I may upgrade to the steel rear axles also $$$ lol. May as well seriously consider starting to purchase parts for the monster upgrade while I’m spending haha.

Any chance you know the size of the wheel hubs on the stock set up for the slash? I’m looking at some proline trencher 2.8’s but I’m not sure if they’ll fit the truck...think they come with 12mm center hubs is what it said...

RC Qualifier
    Yes, stock Slash is 12mm

RC poster
    Perfect, that’s what I was thinking...pretty sure the rims those trenchers are mounted on should fit then. I found some trenchers mounted on some different looking rims than most I’ve seen on everybody else’s monster slash; just looking to make it a little different than everything else I’ve seen. Thanks again for the info!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Watt_The_Wheels View Post
    - Pro-Line Trencher 2.8"

Good looking paint job! No issues overheating running 3s? That’s what I’ve got in mine too, but mine is not the ultimate...I’ve heard that the monster fusion body is kind of heavy, any noticeable impact on performance? I also watched a review video of the monster fusion and there was a lot of tire rub running 2.8 proline badlands I think, have you had any tire rub issues? Not sure about the monster fusion just yet, sometimes I think it looks really good and other times I feel like it’s a little too “squished” looking...but I’m still trying to decide haha.

RC poster
    Well I ordered some parts when I got off work this morning...

Got the proline extended front and rear body mounts with an extra set of caps (how do you guys like the caps by the way??)
    2.8 Proline Trenchers mounted on the Black Raid wheels
    Traxxas Steel spline rear CVD axles (already got em on the front and they’ve been good so far...)
    And a Traxxas tool kit since I’ve just got a few tools that I’ve been using

Debated a monster fusion body but I just don’t know how I feel about the look...probably just going to shave down the wheel wells on my stock slash fox body for now. Hard to beat the aggressive look of the stock body in my personal opinion. Now it’s just a waiting game! Haha.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, 307rcdad

I have to say that I didn't run into 3s overheating issues with my Ultimate, with the usual sequence being 2s first (BTW, I love the training mode ... for my kid, with power set at 15%) and then 1 3s cycle.
    Re: Heavy body? With the power under the body, I don't think so :-) Only difference is, with 3s, wheelies are guaranteed so trying to go smoothly from start.
    Re: tires. I don't use them on the streets but off-road instead (80% of the time). Stock tires and body are 100% new, since I switched to the Monster body from the start
    Re: caps. I love them, since that's much easier that the stock pins. Losing them once in a while but overall, more convenient.
    I also love the Fox edition (body-painting wise).
    I went very simple on the painting and decal side, since I'm not very good at it :-))
    Now, considering a new painting job with possibly a completely different body, to feel like I own 2 Ultimates
    Pics below are before the Extended Body Mounts, so there's even more clearance now.

RC poster
    Pretty sweet lookin truck! Simple isn’t a bad thing haha
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-14-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: language abuse