RC poster

Self leveling tore a tire in half

I tried the self leveling feature on grass and it must have caught the tire just right. Ripped it right in half.
    I superglued it and it seems to be holding up until I order a replacement.
    Do you guys typically just get a tire or donít mess with it and just get the whole wheel?
    Powerful little buggars.

RC Champion
    Stock tires are soft
    Prone to failure
    The sledgehammer tires are the ticket
    fabricator

RC poster
    Self leveling is hard on the drive train, I would not use it, just do the walk of shame and save your tires, drivetain, etc..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Stock tires are soft
    Prone to failure
    The sledgehammer tires are the ticket
    Do the sledgehammers have 17mm hubs? I thought they were for rustler 4x4

RC Champion
    Part # 8973
    Get the Maxx set of sledgehammer
    Yes 17mm
    There are sets for rustlers
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 03-28-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    fabricator

They announced the Sledgehammers for the Rustler 4x4, and theyíll fit just fine on their 4x4 line. They didnít mention that they made a set that is for the Maxx. They should be pretty awesome on a Maxx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Awesome, thanks for all the great info. I’ll look into picking up some sledge hammers.
    Thx

Rustler uses 12mm hexes and Maxx uses 17mm, so they're not going to fit.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Champion
    Running #8973 sledgehammer for Maxx here
    Stiffer rim - firmer rubber then stock
    fabricator

RC poster
    Well I did order the #8973 but in the meantime during tough times Gorilla Glue is your friend.
    The first glued shredded tire held up great until I got a little overzealous and tried the self leveling thing again.
    Let’s just say I have not learned from my mistakes...lol.
    Not sure how long this second rendition will hold up. Pretty much a hack job.

Wheel working very well, pre blowout.

Last edited by Bunyan; 03-29-2020 at 08:51 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I've never been able to figure out the self leveling feature. I thought the book said you had to program it, but I probably read it wrong. How do you do it? Not that I think I will, sounds like it's not drivetrain friendly lol.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
    I've never been able to figure out the self leveling feature. I thought the book said you had to program it, but I probably read it wrong. How do you do it? Not that I think I will, sounds like it's not drivetrain friendly lol.
    Hold down the top front red button for four seconds and wait for it to go into self leveling mode. You can cancel out by hitting the breaks or giving gas. Make sure you’re not close to any items or people. It’s probably not the best for the drivetrain but can’t be any harder than hammering the gas and hitting the breaks. The tires balloon out and try to catch the turf to self right and that’s how I shredded mine. It works best if the Maxx is flat on its back. Sideways or on a hill is how I blew my tires.
    Like others have said, it’s best to make the walk and flip it over. It is a cool function though.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    Hold down the top front red button for four seconds and wait for it to go into self leveling mode. You can cancel out by hitting the breaks or giving gas. Make sure you’re not close to any items or people. It’s probably not the best for the drivetrain but can’t be any harder than hammering the gas and hitting the breaks. The tires balloon out and try to catch the turf to self right and that’s how I shredded mine. It works best if the Maxx is flat on its back. Sideways or on a hill is how I blew my tires.
    Like others have said, it’s best to make the walk and flip it over. It is a cool function though.
    Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I went to youtube last night and figured it out. That said, it brought up a second, quite stupid question lol. You mention hit brakes. There's no "brake" button, I'm assuming using the brakes is essentially using the reverse function of the trigger while moving forward, correct?

Thanks!

"Self Leveling"? Is that the gimmick that flips it from it's roof to it's wheels?

To help avoid blowouts, you could wrap the tire with kevlar string. I do that on my 6S trucks so they don't blow off the rims during flips and whatnot. I just did it to a used set of ERBEv2 tires/wheels I bought to try out on my ERBEv2. I'm currently running trencher 3.8's on it.

I use 3mm cored kevlar cord:

Been running the same sets of trenchers on all 3 of my 6S trucks for a year without a single blow off. I did try running them on my savage flux hp without wrapping them. I made it 2 minutes before the front tires blew off the wheels. Luckily, didn't damage them or the foams. It has a center diff in it and I had been running 4S in it. On 4S, they were fine on my outcast, ERBEv1 and Savage Flux, but 6S is a whole new level!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Thx olds97 lss, that’s a great pointer. I’ll give that a shot. The new rear tires have a stiffer compound and seem to hold up well so far. Great truck so far. Having a blast with it chasing my boy and his merv around. Looking to get a set of larger wheels/tires for the merv so it can handle the yard a little better.

RC Champion
    My fronts split here recently, first time a tire has done that to me in 20 years running monster trucks. I have a set of the new Pro Line LP Trenchers on the way for the Maxx right now. Doing speed runs years ago we used to use reinforced packing tape on the insides of the tires to prevent ballooning.
    Some things are just meant to make us wonder.