RC Racer

Better front and rear axle shafts for Revo 3.3

Hey yíall, first time poster. Nice meeting you all.

Iíve had a Traxxas Revo for a very long time but I never really played a whole lot with it but Iím really wanting to get back in it. Iím fairly happy with it in its stock form but Iím really in the market for some better axle shafts. My revo was in storage for quite some time and the little blue boots dry rotted as expected. Well, before several years ago when was the last time I ran it, I replaced the boots- well, itís been stored in a bedroom for the last several years I noticed those boots are all done rotted and split again. Whatís a good alternative that doesnít use those boots? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I would keep stock shafts. Steel shafts add more weight to a truck that doesn't benefit of it. As long as you do a proper maintenance, not having the dust boots shouldn't be an issue

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lexuabest View Post
    I would keep stock shafts. Steel shafts add more weight to a truck that doesn't benefit of it. As long as you do a proper maintenance, not having the dust boots shouldn't be an issue
    How much more weight are we talking? And are we talking about concerns of too much weight when using these to race competitively? I didnít by my truck to race, just to have fun with. And no, I donít plan on jumping mine over houses and such either. lol.

But youíre saying itís ok to run the stock axles without the boots? Wonít that wear them out quicker with all the dang and dust particles getting in there?

But I guess I could just keep the stick axles unless thereís a better alternative to the $80 dollar set of steel axles from Traxxas. They have what looks like those same blue boots thatíll probably dry rot on me as well.

Is there another brand of axle out there that doesnít use a boot?

RC Competitor
    Just don't use the dust boots. There are lot of aftermarket manufacturers that use the same shaft design without any dust covers. I wouldn't suggest to use steel or aluminum shafts. They will move the wake point to the transmission shafts or the transmission itself

RC Racer
    Just don't use the dust boots. There are lot of aftermarket manufacturers that use the same shaft design without any dust covers. I wouldn't suggest to use steel or aluminum shafts. They will move the wake point to the transmission shafts or the transmission itself
    Ok, I guess Iíll just let the dust boots continue coming off them. So what, just spray like some brake cleaner or equivalent in there every once in a while to clean them?

But yeah, I never thought of moving weak points.

RC Qualifier
    The Slayer i have does not have dust boots and i've never had any problems. I don't think they're necessary.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I wouldn't use brake cleaner on non tested plastic. It may soften axle shafts. Take a clean towel an wipe them off.

No need to clean them every day. Do the same maintenance you do to your diffs

I have run the same stock shafts for near ten years. Replaced the boots a few times but now just cut them off after they rotted out. No issues and occasionally clean them out.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I wouldn't use brake cleaner on non tested plastic. It may soften axle shafts. Take a clean towel an wipe them off.

No need to clean them every day. Do the same maintenance you do to your diffs
    Yeah, that probably is a little too stout of a fluid.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I have run the same stock shafts for near ten years. Replaced the boots a few times but now just cut them off after they rotted out. No issues and occasionally clean them out.
    Good to hear.

Same here. I have been using the same stock shafts since I tried some Vantage steel shafts and bent one during a race, LOL! I still use the Vantage center shafts, though.
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    Same here. I have been using the same stock shafts since I tried some Vantage steel shafts and bent one during a race, LOL! I still use the Vantage center shafts, though.
    This weekend when all my other parts come in, Iíll have to get my pick out and scrape away all the remaining boot material.