Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    4

    2wd Stampede drive problems / slipper clutch?

    I have a 2wd Skully (think it's basically a Stampede) that was clicking every time I tried to go in reverse. It would go but slowly and it would click like crazy. But now it does the same thing going forward. I've tried replacing some parts but nothing has solved the problem. In fact, now I only get one wheel to spin.

    When I move the pinion gear by hand without the tires mounted, both axels seem to spin at the same speed. But once I put the motor on the pinion gear, I only get one wheel spinning. The other barely rotates.

    I have no idea what's wrong and how to fix it. I could use some advice.

    Here's what I've done/noticed so far:

    • --Replaced the pinion gear because it was worn
    • --Replaced the slipper clutch pads because they were worn/broken
    • --Replaced the motor because it was squealing ( I broke it in first)
    • --Took apart the transmission but it seems ok. I am a bit suspect of the transmission gear that sits on the clipper clutch post though. It seems to be worn unevenly but spins the other gears fine.
    • --I believe the slipper clutch post is warped because when I spin the pinion gear, it appears to move side to side. (the bearing is ok and fits in the gear snugly)
    • --I have the slipper clutch tightened all the way so it's not slipping too much.
    • --The whole thing just doesn't sound right when I give it throttle.


    Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,872
    Are the gears inside of the differential okay? You don't mention checking those.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    4
    No I haven't taken it apart because it's a pain in the butt messing with those gears....and a bit daunting. Plus I'd have to have diff oil and I don't have any.

    Do you think the diff would account for the original clicking noises?

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuddah1 View Post
    No I haven't taken it apart because it's a pain in the butt messing with those gears....and a bit daunting. Plus I'd have to have diff oil and I don't have any.

    Do you think the diff would account for the original clicking noises?
    If itís the stock diff you wonít need diff oil, youíll need grease because itís not a sealed diff. Itís really not so bad to take the tranny apart and have a look inside.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,872
    I've had the planetary gears (internal diff gears) fail on more than one occasion with these diffs; it's definitely worth looking into, in my opinion.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier justin13703's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    265
    Definitely take the diff apart and check it, they’re really not hard at all to disassemble. Just pay attention and if it helps, look at the part breakdown to see how it all goes together. And yes like rocket said, no diff oil, just grease in there.

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    4
    Ok, I'll crack it open and inspect it. I ordered a new diff from Amazon so if I mess something up, I'll just pop the new one in...if not, it's an easy return or just keep it for spare parts idk, we'll see

    I also took another look at the trans gears and the drive gear looks really worn on one side. Thinking that may be the reason the drive shaft looked wobbly. I couldn't get the hear off the shaft either... it's almost fused on there. So I just ordered a new gear, shaft, bearings and washers. I'll replace everything and see what happens.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuddah1 View Post
    Ok, I'll crack it open and inspect it. I ordered a new diff from Amazon so if I mess something up, I'll just pop the new one in...if not, it's an easy return or just keep it for spare parts idk, we'll see

    I also took another look at the trans gears and the drive gear looks really worn on one side. Thinking that may be the reason the drive shaft looked wobbly. I couldn't get the hear off the shaft either... it's almost fused on there. So I just ordered a new gear, shaft, bearings and washers. I'll replace everything and see what happens.
    Wear that uneven sounds like it could be close to the problem .

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    4
    So I took the entire trans apart and cleaned all the gears, I found that top gear was basically destroyed so I replaced it along with all the bearings. The motor was making funny noises so I cleaned it with WD-40 and water. After drying, I tested it and it seemed to work just fine. It is getting hot pretty quickly though, so I suspect the bearings are worn. I ordered a new motor just in case this one craps out completely.

    I also took the diff apart, cleaned and regreased all the gears. I also replaced the slipper clutch pads.

    It runs great now, with no issues. Thanks for all of your help!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier justin13703's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuddah1 View Post
    So I took the entire trans apart and cleaned all the gears, I found that top gear was basically destroyed so I replaced it along with all the bearings. The motor was making funny noises so I cleaned it with WD-40 and water. After drying, I tested it and it seemed to work just fine. It is getting hot pretty quickly though, so I suspect the bearings are worn. I ordered a new motor just in case this one craps out completely.

    I also took the diff apart, cleaned and regreased all the gears. I also replaced the slipper clutch pads.

    It runs great now, with no issues. Thanks for all of your help!
    Glad you got it going

  11. #11
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,872
    In the future, do not use WD-40 to clean a motor; that's a surefire way to end up with a super gunked up motor. You should use electrical motor/contact cleaner for motor cleaning purpose (and relubricate the bushings after).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •