Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2

    Angry Help Needed- Metal Ring Sliding on Rear Driveshaft- 1 day old X-Maxx

    I ran my new X-Maxx the first time and a thin black metal ring came detached and is floating on the rear driveshaft. Frustrating as I haven't had it 24 hrs yet and was running on 3S's in training mode. I may as well have had training wheels attached while running it my brassiere.

    Looking at the schematic exploded view it looks like the ring came detached from the 5182A bearing. I'd post a pic if I knew how to, but I'm Gen X and don't do URLs or forums.

    Can someone advise on the fix? It still runs but is driving me crazy. I hope this vehicle isn't going to be a lemon...

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    695
    Tapatalk app
    Just put it back on the bearing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Tapatalk app
    Just put it back on the bearing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree with this, and maybe changing the rear hubs for RPM ones or bearings for a better ones.

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,147
    Order replacement bearings
    20x27x4mm
    The inner hub bearings are barely worthy

    You can disassemble the hub an use the
    other side of the bearing with seal out
    Clean , then lube - replace the seal if possible

    Thrash em hard
    fabricator

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    792
    The seal popping off the bearing is common, Due to stock bearings not able to handle the forces put on it. There is a upgraded part.

    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a...raxxas-x-maxx/

    It includes 2 new inner bearings. ( Must grease them before use)

    And must use these as well.
    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a...raxxas-x-maxx/

    Otherwise you will start to loose hub pins.

    Rpm a arms at some point as well is wise to get. Again get another set of hing pins

    If hit something just right, land just right things will break. Nothing is indestructible. But I have had some amazing tumbles and just drive away.

    For now I'd push the seal back in. Perhaps swap bearing around so good seal is outwards. And order up the rpm parts, and Some marine grade grease

    I just put my rpm hubs on, and regreased all hub bearings. The inner bearings were the worst ever to get the seals off. Never had a seal fight me so bad. Definitely see why those inner bearings fail.

    A good grease job on your bearings will keep them working well long after stocks ones would have seized up. Anytime I have access to bearings I'm cleaning and repacking them.

    I'm super hard in my truck and run it through mud / ocean / ect..



    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Can you show a photo of this? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on an XMAXX and would love to understand this better.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Can you show a photo of this? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on an XMAXX and would love to understand this better.
    Here is a pic of bearing with the seals off. Rebuilding my diffs, and diff bearings right now. For OP. One of the seals popped off the bearing. And then was hanging on the axel. This happens when truck lands hard enough it compressed the bearing untill the seal pops off.

    The rpm upgrade hub has a lager inner bearing. So it can take up to 300% more force or so

    Pic is off rpm website. It is a very noticeable size difference.

    This is normally only a issue with the rear ends. I bashed my xmaxx hard before I had the seal finally pop off.

    The rear hub carriers, and rpm a-arms in the front, and body mods like washers/body savers, glue and fiber tape, body flexing, mod. to reduce body breakage. 2985x servo Is about all it really needs as far as upgrades. I got a few more into mine



    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2

    Thank you! Feedback all appreciated. Have recommended parts on order.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    The seal popping off the bearing is common, Due to stock bearings not able to handle the forces put on it. There is a upgraded part.

    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a...raxxas-x-maxx/

    It includes 2 new inner bearings. ( Must grease them before use)

    And must use these as well.
    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/a...raxxas-x-maxx/

    Otherwise you will start to loose hub pins.

    Rpm a arms at some point as well is wise to get. Again get another set of hing pins

    If hit something just right, land just right things will break. Nothing is indestructible. But I have had some amazing tumbles and just drive away.

    For now I'd push the seal back in. Perhaps swap bearing around so good seal is outwards. And order up the rpm parts, and Some marine grade grease

    I just put my rpm hubs on, and regreased all hub bearings. The inner bearings were the worst ever to get the seals off. Never had a seal fight me so bad. Definitely see why those inner bearings fail.

    A good grease job on your bearings will keep them working well long after stocks ones would have seized up. Anytime I have access to bearings I'm cleaning and repacking them.

    I'm super hard in my truck and run it through mud / ocean / ect..



    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you for all of the help

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    My less than day old XMAXX did the same thing. Going to be my first repair job I guess. But what fun would it be if you took your new XMAXX out for a drive and didnt break or dislodge SOMETHING.

    This truck is insane. Its the only word to describe it. I hit a tree head on, pretty high speed, bounced off, ripped up bark, drove away......nuts.

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    24
    Alternatively, you could buy direct replacement bearings from Avid Racing. I am still on my first set after months of use with zero issues. https://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bea...-bearings.html

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBall View Post
    Alternatively, you could buy direct replacement bearings from Avid Racing. I am still on my first set after months of use with zero issues. https://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bea...-bearings.html
    Thank you very much for posting this link, is very usefull for me and shiping to my location.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    5-10 minute job to repair, but I imagine it will come out again.


  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Removed wheel/tire


  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Removed this clip:


  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Removed small screw retaining upper upright dowel pin, and removed the pin:


  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Slid out the axle assembly:


  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    5-10 minute job to repair, but I imagine it will come out again.
    Oh, it will! Complete waste of time to fix the stock bearings. Go with RPM or the bearings I posted. I recommend what I posted since they are very cheap and you don't need any new parts. Might as well pick up some of their bearing grease and oil while you're at it.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Pulled out the dirty bearing that lost its cover, and cleaned it up with some automotive brake cleaner:




  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Flattened the slightly bent bearing cover:




  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Pushed the bearing cover back onto the cleaned bearing. I used a plastic tool to try and not rip or tear the rubber coated cover:


  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    I reinstalled everything, but reversed the bearing so that the previously bent cover was inside instead of facing outside. Hopefully it will be good for a little while.

    Probably will do an RPM upright/bearing upgrade.....I think it NEEDS it!

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,147
    Have ran an replaced many stock size bearings on 3 Xmaxx for years
    Bought 30 bearings in 2016, only a few left
    Spun a few thrashing the stock hub/bearing carriers
    Just installed the first set of rpm carriers a month back or so on 1 Xmaxx
    Another rpm carrier set sits new in package still - waiting for failure
    With the front axle using the same size bearings- extras are good to have around


    Ben -Didnít see any lube going on your cleaned bearings


    Stay safe out there
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 04-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    fabricator

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    No lube yet. Do you have one that you can recommend?

  24. #24
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,147
    Multi purpose
    Marine grease
    Mag1 is what I am using
    fabricator

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    792
    I use belray marine grease. Any marine grade grease from auto part store will work.

    You will want to get some lube in there before you run it. Or good chance the bearing will seize up.

    Take the seals off both side of bearing and push grease in with finger or tool and reseat the seals. To get seals off. Use a razor blade or exacto knife to pry up. Are YouTube vids that show how. Those bearings are a pita. To get seals off. My exacto blade broke off multiple times. I found going for the inner side worked best ..



    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •