Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I wonder if it is because the servo motors are bidirectional and have a stall current that the amp draw goes up with higher voltage. (even idle and no load rises) It is interesting that you brought that up and it is curious in regards of Ohms Law.
    If anyone knows please share. I'm curious as to why?

RC Champion
    Well Flux, you have made some progress since my last visit. Servo looks extremely hard core with the data I've been reading about and looking forward to seeing the reaction with tsm or heat issues.

I don't get how you and some others can bump the Traxxas rx's over 6v and have no issues lol. I have lost 3 rx's going over and after putting those Hitec servo's in my Emaxx and running at 6v off of a bypass and external bec gives me 333 oz. apeice which is more then enough for moving my Jumbo Kongs.

Looking forward to the results of this servo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I don't get how you and some others can bump the Traxxas rx's over 6v and have no issues lol. I have lost 3 rx's going over...
    I've gone to around 6.5v on my summit with the stock servos. Still working. Some have good luck and others haven't.

Curious at when you tried and had bad luck what servos and at what voltage?

RC Champion
    It was around the month of May 2018 when I fried the 3 I tried above the 6v because I bought the servo's in April. The first was right at 7.4 and it just popped when I plugged it in, the second was around 7v and lasted 2 or 3 minutes into the run. The third was if I recall under but not sure 6.8v rings a bell but I can't confirm, and these were with a CC bec and no bypass harness

All of these were with my Hitec D955tw's and they perform great at 6v and can't afford anymore rx's lol. Like I mentioned I've never been one of the lucky ones and that's ok I have no plans changing tx's or rx's anytime soon. These were running 2- 2s batteries.
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 05-05-2020 at 01:02 PM.

It was around the month of May 2018 when I fried the 3 I tried above the 6v because I bought the servo's in April. The first was right at 7.4 and it just popped when I plugged it in, the second was around 7v and lasted 2 or 3 minutes into the run. The third was if I recall under but not sure 6.8v rings a bell but I can't confirm, and these were with a CC bec and no bypass harness

All of these were with my Hitec D955tw's and they perform great at 6v and can't afford anymore rx's lol. Like I mentioned I've never been one of the lucky ones and that's ok I have no plans changing tx's or rx's anytime soon. These were running 2- 2s batteries.
    That is a bummer! IMO I think why some have good luck and others not is the actual amp draw from the servos. That Hitec D955tw draws a bit of power. Specs say 5.2amps but at what volts?

Do you run the CC bec or just use the ESC's internal bec at 6v?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That is a bummer! IMO I think why some have good luck and others not is the actual amp draw from the servos. That Hitec D955tw draws a bit of power. Specs say 5.2amps but at what volts?

Do you run the CC bec or just use the ESC's internal bec at 6v?
    When I fried the rx's I had connected the bec directly to the rx and disconnected the esc power wire as per CC instructions but after a phone call to them they suggested the bypass harness, and wish I had of done that in the begining and I wouldn't be out 3 rx's lol.
    The other thing I noticed was they have 2 different voltage listings as the top one at 8.4 and one at 7.4 so my guess is the 5.2amps is at 8.4 but I could be wrong.
    I know they crank those 8 1/2 inch tall 4 inch wide Jumbo Kongs around on my BL Emaxx with no problems set at 6v, so never went higher.

Too bad it cost you 3 Rx's. Glad it's worked out for you in the end. I'm also going to be waiting on Flux Capacitor's outcome also. That servo has some impressive specs.

I'm also going to be waiting on Flux Capacitor's outcome also. That servo has some impressive specs.

Had the X-Maxx tore down to the last screw for the first time. The truck is truly an engineering marvel and I didn't appreciate it enough until I had taken it all the way apart.

I put all new Acer Ceramic Bearings in. The rear differential gave me a problem as I guess they thought it necessary to press fit the bearing on the ring gear side. I had to slowly heat the bearing to get it off. It was tough and took about fifteen minutes of slowly working it off; but I got it.

I was afraid that if it was a press fit bearing, my new Ceramic bearing might not fit correctly, but it did. I thought the new bearing would be too loose since the original was so tight; but it fit snugly like it was suppose to.

That had me worried for a bit because I had already finished up the front end and I was thinking "Man if I have to buy a new differential because the bearing is press fitted on there, I'm going to be hotter than a hornet."

If they are not press fitted on there, then I have no idea why mine was so locked on to the ring gear side. I never had that happen ever on an RC vehicle. The bearing still free spun, but it was as if it was almost a one piece design; but thankfully, it wasn't

Added the new Hot Racing motor mounts and over-sized RPM rear carriers as well.

And then finally the ProModeler servo worked wonders for my steering issues. At 6 volts, the servo has more than enough torque to do the job and no heat issues with the servo overheating whatsoever. Used TSM with no problems and I now fully appreciate my truck more than I did two months ago that's for sure!

Here is the Hot Racing motor mounts:

Here is the ProModeler servo horn they specifically make for their own servo and it fit right into the 10mm bearing bore perfectly:

And then finally a picture of my truck sitting proud after its first successful run since March 11th. Finally, I now have a truck for summertime fun:

Sorry I didn't have more in depth pictures of everything guys; but I wasn't doing an educational tear-down of the truck. I was learning myself for the first time and I was very anxious after two months of downtime and two days of having the truck fully apart to finally get out and just drive it without having to worry about anything.

I now have my investment worthy X-Maxx! It just took a little extra TLC like they all need to get them up and running to their full potential.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-05-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Champion
    That is awesome, glad to hear everything has come together. Have you checked to see if there is any heat from the rx, just curious? Not knocking Traxxas but it's to bad you had to go through what you did to find an OEM part that has issues with stock components like the 2085x. That seems strange you had issues with that bearing ours came out smooth.
    Have fun with your new truck.

Awesome that you got the truck where you want it. Enjoy!

If I remember right I had issues with a diff bearing as well. I just gently pry off with a flat screw driver. I think mine were starting to rust. Went back in smoothly after servicing. Yet to tear down again since last diff n bearings maintenance. As truck only has a few pack so far into it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Have you checked to see if there is any heat from the rx, just curious? Not knocking Traxxas but it's to bad you had to go through what you did to find an OEM part that has issues with stock components like the 2085x. That seems strange you had issues with that bearing ours came out smooth.
    Have fun with your new truck.
    The only thing that was giving off heat was the motor and ESC. That is how it should be and about time too. I mean when I was using that 2085X servo with the 6533 TSM receiver, both the servo and receiver were as warm as my motor. I was like something isn't right here. I'd touch the top of the receiver housing and it felt like it was in the desert sun all day. Same with the bottom of the truck where the 2085X servo was.

Well, I fixed that little problem and if my ProModeler ever gets as warm as that 2085X did, the whole truck would have to be on fire for that to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Awesome that you got the truck where you want it. Enjoy!

Will do, and Thanks for being one of the first to answer the thread when it started. You answered some critical questions by doing your bench tests back when I had asked you a couple things regarding my ESC.

RC Enthusiast
    Stuck bearings happen all the time, it's probably just rust. It's metal on metal, so if water and stuff gets in there... You can sand off the rust with some very fine sand paper, I use Tamiya P1500. That makes it pretty smooth again. Hopefully your problems are solved, though! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MyBall View Post
    Stuck bearings happen all the time, it's probably just rust. It's metal on metal, so if water and stuff gets in there... You can sand off the rust with some very fine sand paper, I use Tamiya P1500. That makes it pretty smooth again. Hopefully your problems are solved, though! Have fun!

The truck has never seen a drop of water, so that is why I was confused as to the bearing being seized on the ring gear side. Yes, the ring gear side is metal on metal and the actual carrier side with the spider gears is plastic. I've seen bearings press fitted before and I'm very certain this bearing was not seized by rust.

There was absolutely no logical reason why the bearing was so tight on the ring gear side. It is as if the factory used QuikSteelŽ to secure the bearing. It was fun to say the least; but still confusing!

All current problems are solved and now I will slowly add upgrades as needed.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-06-2020 at 05:03 AM.

IMHO I think Traxxas did a nice job designing the X-Maxx (and its little brother the Maxx). It's not a complicated truck to work on and can take a beating and still come home in one piece.

I'm glad your getting to enjoy it. It's definitely a fun truck.

IMHO I think Traxxas did a nice job designing the X-Maxx (and its little brother the Maxx).

I was impressed with the intricate yet simple design of the truck. You just have to watch the length of the screws closely so as to not try to put a longer one where a shorter one goes. I put them back in the hole they came out of right away so I don't have to refer to the schematics for the installation of every single screw. I probably saved about fifteen minutes to a half hour total in the reassembly of the truck when it was fully torn down. That, and I haven't had the schematics professionally sized yet for the X-Maxx. I usually download the PDF versions of the schematics to an SD card and take it to a professional printer place that can blow up the schematics to 3X bigger than the micro-print format they are usually in.

One thing I don't like about the aluminum drive shaft is the amount of forward and aft play it has between the front differential and the Torque-Biasing Center Drive before it connects with the rear differential. A couple of millimeters would be one thing; but, that short 7755 piece that connects the aluminum drive shaft to the Torque-Biasing Center Drive unit needs to be longer or the actual long aluminum drive shaft needs to be a few millimeters longer. Just looking at the amount of play from those two pieces sliding on each other makes me cringe. It is one thing to have torsional wear; but if that driveshaft is sliding in there like that all the time, that adds linear wear into the equation as well and would double the speed with which those parts would wear on one another.

RC Qualifier
    Had the X-Maxx tore down to the last screw for the first time. The truck is truly an engineering marvel and I didn't appreciate it enough until I had taken it all the way apart.

I put all new Acer Ceramic Bearings in. The rear differential gave me a problem as I guess they thought it necessary to press fit the bearing on the ring gear side. I had to slowly heat the bearing to get it off. It was tough and took about fifteen minutes of slowly working it off; but I got it.

I was afraid that if it was a press fit bearing, my new Ceramic bearing might not fit correctly, but it did. I thought the new bearing would be too loose since the original was so tight; but it fit snugly like it was suppose to.

That had me worried for a bit because I had already finished up the front end and I was thinking "Man if I have to buy a new differential because the bearing is press fitted on there, I'm going to be hotter than a hornet."

If they are not press fitted on there, then I have no idea why mine was so locked on to the ring gear side. I never had that happen ever on an RC vehicle. The bearing still free spun, but it was as if it was almost a one piece design; but thankfully, it wasn't

Added the new Hot Racing motor mounts and over-sized RPM rear carriers as well.

And then finally the ProModeler servo worked wonders for my steering issues. At 6 volts, the servo has more than enough torque to do the job and no heat issues with the servo overheating whatsoever. Used TSM with no problems and I now fully appreciate my truck more than I did two months ago that's for sure!

Here is the Hot Racing motor mounts:

Here is the ProModeler servo horn they specifically make for their own servo and it fit right into the 10mm bearing bore perfectly:

And then finally a picture of my truck sitting proud after its first successful run since March 11th. Finally, I now have a truck for summertime fun:

Sorry I didn't have more in depth pictures of everything guys; but I wasn't doing an educational tear-down of the truck. I was learning myself for the first time and I was very anxious after two months of downtime and two days of having the truck fully apart to finally get out and just drive it without having to worry about anything.

I now have my investment worthy X-Maxx! It just took a little extra TLC like they all need to get them up and running to their full potential.
    These mods looks nice mate, specially the motor mount, like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    These mods looks nice mate, specially the motor mount, like it very much.
    Thank you!

I was going to go with the GPM motor mounts but I didn't know if they had the nyloc nut in the base like the Hot Racing mounts do and if I would have got the GPM mounts, they would have taken a month to get to me from China.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you!

I was going to go with the GPM motor mounts but I didn't know if they had the nyloc nut in the base like the Hot Racing mounts do and if I would have got the GPM mounts, they would have taken a month to get to me from China.
    I buy generic mounts, similar to GPM, wait for it 20 days, from China.

RC Champion
    No updates means your rig is running lol. How are you liking that Pro-modeler servo?

RC Qualifier
    No news are good news, enjoy.

I hope he's having fun.

No updates means your rig is running lol. How are you liking that Pro-modeler servo?
    I'm speechless with its performance. I'd be willing to bet it could handle ten straight packs back to back and never heat up or slow down. People underestimate the ProModeler servos. The thing I like about them so much, is the fact that they center back up when you let go of the steering on the Tx. They are the best self-centering servo I have ever come across and they are lightning fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    No news are good news, enjoy.
    I am enjoying the truck now that I have everything sorted out. There is so much I want to do with it, that my head is spinning on where to start.

I hope he's having fun.
    Hey, sorry about the late reply! I have been running the truck several times a day with no problems. It really is an addictive truck to run and is giving my E-Maxx Brushless a chance to have a break.

My next project is probably going to be the XO-1 or UDR; but I have to see where my X-Maxx leads me first.

I'm speechless with its performance. I'd be willing to bet it could handle ten straight packs back to back and never heat up or slow down. People underestimate the ProModeler servos. The thing I like about them so much, is the fact that they center back up when you let go of the steering on the Tx. They are the best self-centering servo I have ever come across and they are lightning fast.
    I have a Promodeler on my nitro Revo and could not be happier with a servo. Versus most others they have lower power draw, faster speed, more torque, are impressive to look at and very little trimming needs to be done (I have to constantly trim the Amazon servo in my Slash). I figure if modelers can trust them in their large-scale airplanes then they have to be trustworthy in surface vehicles. Plus the owner, John, has followed-up with me via email a few times to see how it is performing. In the next few days I'll be looking at purchasing at least three more and going strictly Promodeler on all my Traxxas vehicles.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Are these a direct purchase from Promodeler? I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere else.

Are these a direct purchase from Promodeler? I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere else.
    Yes .
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I have a Promodeler on my nitro Revo and could not be happier with a servo. Versus most others they have lower power draw, faster speed, more torque, are impressive to look at and very little trimming needs to be done (I have to constantly trim the Amazon servo in my Slash). I figure if modelers can trust them in their large-scale airplanes then they have to be trustworthy in surface vehicles. Plus the owner, John, has followed-up with me via email a few times to see how it is performing. In the next few days I'll be looking at purchasing at least three more and going strictly Promodeler on all my Traxxas vehicles.
    John saved me a big headache when I ordered the DS630BLHV because I didn't know at the time of purchase that I needed the specialized horn for the servo as well. He called me up right after I got done ordering it online and told me that I needed their horn too in order for the servo to work because the spline diameter is different. He waited to charge my card until the order was amended so that I wouldn't have to make two separate purchases. All around, just a great guy to deal with and smart as heck too!

I even got a free hat out of the deal this time!

RC Qualifier
    Flux Capacitor, mate, happy to read you finally enjoy your truck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Yes .
    Thank you very much.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456