Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 228
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558

    VXL-8S ESC Calibration

    Can anyone confirm with absolute one million percent positivity that in step six when calibrating the reverse throttle that the light only blinks GREEN ONCE before returning the trigger to neutral.

    The reason I ask, is because my VXL-8S ESC blinks fast green more than once before turning solid green when the reverse calibration is set. I can't physically release the trigger fast enough before it blinks green more than once.

    There is that and according to this on-line excerpt from the manual, it is suppose to only blink green ONCE before the throttle is returned to neutral and then the light turns solid green:


    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-28-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    802
    Questions is. Does the car work afterwards? If it does. No sense in worrying about it.

    If it doesn't.. keep trying? I don't know if I have ever seen a green light when resetting throttle. Sometimes I have to do it a time or two. For some reason I gotta do this to my revo 2.0 a every other session.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Questions is. Does the car work afterwards? If it does. No sense in worrying about it.

    You see, that is the same thing I got from Traxxas support. I understand certain questions cannot be answered without a question, but what I'm asking is so simple.

    Instead of an answer, I got a question to my question. Sure the truck runs afterwards but eventually I end up not being able to steer the truck after ten minutes or so. Come to a stop and the steering comes back to life. The only difference this time, is that it is doing it with the 2085 instead of the 2085X servo with TSM at default. Yes, I used another known good updated receiver for test purposes. And yes the servo works without TSM and the problem doesn't show itself; but I paid for a TSM equipped model period. And yes, I even tried a different updated good Tx with the Bluetooth Module installed.

    The reason I need a specific answer is because I got a $900 truck that has been unable to steer since the 11th of March and the only thing left is to know specifically whether or not the ESC flashes Green Once after the reverse calibration sequence is initiated and then the throttle is returned to neutral for a steady green light. Mine blinks fast green numerous times before turning solid green at the end of calibration.

    I just put my replacement servo (2085) in the truck today with the same results I had with the previous two servos. I'm quite certain you saw my other thread about the steering gremlins.

    I even explained to support on the phone since March 11th that my ESC is the only thing left that could possibly be causing my servo failures; yet they insist it is a servo issue. I often wonder why they are so certain about that! I can handle the hobby as it is O.K. to receive two bad servos in a row - but three is pushing it, if you understand where I'm coming from.

    Furthermore, I am still awaiting the return of the 2085X servo I sent in for evaluation.

    I checked the voltage going to the receiver and it is 6.02 volts nominal. That tells me right there the BEC is not burning out my servos signal; yet the ESC does not do what is written specifically in the manual on a calibration attempt.

    I just need someone to please do a calibration attempt on their VXL-8S ESC and let me know if when the reverse calibration sequence (steps five and six) is initiated that the ESC light blinks GREEN ONCE before returning the throttle to neutral to end the calibration procedure.

    This will tell me if I am still getting a bad batch of servos or not.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-28-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Simple Question.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    802
    So got my xmaxx back together did a work bench run.

    In doing the throttle calibration. At last step. The light blinks green and keeps blinking forever while I have it in the reverse position. Once let go and it goes to neutral. The esc light goes to a soild green.

    Testing on my merv with vxl-3m. Same thing while throttle is in reverse position esc light blinks constantly untill back into neutral.

    Same thing on erevo2.0

    Im willing to bet all esc will blink green constantly while throttle is in the reverse position.

    To me, it blinking once (As manual says it should do) vs blinking many times (actual) untill into neutral position. I'm betting as wrong manual verbage. Getting a technical document 100% correct on everything is a challenge. Myself as a software/firmware background I'd make it blink multiple times. As joe user will miss the one green blink. Saying it's done.

    So to me it blinking many times is how it should be.


    As far as your steering issue.
    I don't use tsm. I have it set to off on knob and in app. And will never use it.

    On my revo 2.0. Have had issues 2 or 3x now where I loose steering in forward but have steering at neutral or in reverse. Then once back home to test, steering works... It may be that tsm is got turned on and didn't notice, and or use different controller at home. I've yet to trouble shoot the issue but now know to keep a eye on if tsm is on when it happens again.

    My Merv did loose steering in one direction,. I found it to be the RX. Replaced it and that solved it.

    Understand that if car is labeled as having tsm it should work as advertised. But there seems like there are software issues with it that are still getting worked out. That is a bit of complex code. Can have different race conditions and so on...

    Our cars say they have a self righting feature. And we should be able to use that whenever ect and it works. But reality on that feature is, it will just break parts so most don't use it..... those that do use it learn not to use it or keep replacing parts it breaks....

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    So got my xmaxx back together did a work bench run.

    In doing the throttle calibration. At last step. The light blinks green and keeps blinking forever while I have it in the reverse position. Once let go and it goes to neutral. The esc light goes to a soild green.

    Testing on my merv with vxl-3m. Same thing while throttle is in reverse position esc light blinks constantly untill back into neutral.

    Same thing on erevo2.0

    Im willing to bet all esc will blink green constantly while throttle is in the reverse position.

    To me, it blinking once (As manual says it should do) vs blinking many times (actual) untill into neutral position. I'm betting as wrong manual verbage. Getting a technical document 100% correct on everything is a challenge. Myself as a software/firmware background I'd make it blink multiple times. As joe user will miss the one green blink. Saying it's done.

    So to me it blinking many times is how it should be.


    As far as your steering issue.
    I don't use tsm. I have it set to off on knob and in app. And will never use it.

    On my revo 2.0. Have had issues 2 or 3x now where I loose steering in forward but have steering at neutral or in reverse. Then once back home to test, steering works... It may be that tsm is got turned on and didn't notice, and or use different controller at home. I've yet to trouble shoot the issue but now know to keep a eye on if tsm is on when it happens again.

    My Merv did loose steering in one direction,. I found it to be the RX. Replaced it and that solved it.

    Understand that if car is labeled as having tsm it should work as advertised. But there seems like there are software issues with it that are still getting worked out. That is a bit of complex code. Can have different race conditions and so on...

    Our cars say they have a self righting feature. And we should be able to use that whenever ect and it works. But reality on that feature is, it will just break parts so most don't use it..... those that do use it learn not to use it or keep replacing parts it breaks....

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    Thank you! I really do appreciate what you have done!

    That was a definite comprehensive reply worthy of recognition. I'll have to wait until Monday to see what Traxxas Support actually has as an excuse this time, as I already e-mailed them yesterday evening. (Saturday)

    I noticed that while doing a calibration attempt today on the X-Maxx, that when the reverse calibration sequence part is performed, the "A" red LED flashes on the ESC but does not remain lit or flash when the calibration sequence ends. It doesn't flash on the forward calibration part; just the reverse calibration part.

    According to the manual, when that "A" red LED flashes (fast blinking red), it is an Overcurrent Stage Two Protection problem.

    Why would that "A" red LED flash during the reverse part of the calibration sequence and not the forward throttle part?

    Furthermore, if there are still software issues getting worked out for the TSM function, then why doesn't Traxxas Support acknowledge this when I ask them about it? It is costing them money to replace my servos left and right, so you would think a little honesty would pay off on their part.

    I mean to say, TSM has been around longer than the X-Maxx and didn't cause problems on my other models using Traxxas servos, so what needs to still be worked out all these years later? How to not burn out Traxxas servos explicitly for the X-Maxx only? This is ancient software at this point in the game considering computers double their speed every six months.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-29-2020 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Additional Information.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    802
    I did a few more throttle calibration on the xmaxx. When letting go of the throttle to end the sequence. The temp, volt, amp lights all flash in sequence then green light is soild. (Same way they flash on ecs power on)
    I don't see any other lights turn on or blip or anything for me.

    I guess I should say there could be a bug in the tsm firmware. I'm not 100% positive. But I know my steering issues popped after last firmware updates I did Could be tx, rx, esc who knows, my guess is there a bug that happens. Has only been on my eRevo 2.0 with savox servo

    Some times it easier and cheaper to just keep replacing the parts. Than cost to have a staff member find the exact cause of issue and then make a fix and then get it implement, and a patch sent can take weeks or months or more.... $20k to $40k for a employee cost to find and fix a tsm bug is alot of servos.... and if that doesn't make new bugs.. think windows 10 updates, and how many times a patch breaks something else. lol.....

    Business all the time just go on replacing part vs fixing root cause. Till the rate of return makes it worth while or lawsuits get big enough to make the change happen... (Pinto exploding gas tanks in rear end collision. Ford / firestone on explorers exploding tires, causing roll overs crashe issue, list goes on and on)

    It's also having enough end users report issues to make it worth while to look into as well.

    remember, the kind folks answering our emails and calls are probably not the ones doing the designing and software coding so on... They probably dont have indepth intimate knowedge of the cars and parts inner workings. Most probably just following knowedge guides and help scripts. (As is case is most companies support help) They do their best to answer our questions and solve our problems. Sometimes no body knows why the issue is there.....



    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I did a few more throttle calibration on the xmaxx. When letting go of the throttle to end the sequence. The temp, volt, amp lights all flash in sequence then green light is soild. (Same way they flash on ecs power on)
    I don't see any other lights turn on or blip or anything for me.
    Something you mentioned right there caught my attention. I don't think my lights flash in sequence after the calibration. I'm curious now and I'm going to go check.


    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I guess I should say there could be a bug in the tsm firmware. I'm not 100% positive.
    With the rate at which my servos have been failing, I'm 100% positive which troubleshooting I'm going to do now in light of the sequence LED's you get versus what I get.

    Going to go check!

    Thank you for your time again!

    EDIT

    Just checked, and it did exactly as you described! This time, I didn't even get that pesky red LED "A" light on the reverse calibration part either.

    So now I'm back to definite faulty servos or TSM software headaches that aren't being reported by other members enough for Traxxas to actually do something about it. How many times will Traxxas send you replacement servos before they realize they are sending out faulty ones or at least acknowledge that there is a TSM software issue? They have to do one or the other because they just can't ignore both, can they?

    Nobody would be able to steer their all stock trucks if they refuse to acknowledge there is one or two problems. Five years later after the X-Maxx first comes out and they are still dealing with the same issues? What is going on here? I just refuse to accept that I'm the only one having this problem on a new X-Maxx purchase.

    I mean Traxxas Support is so set on replacing my servos from the symptoms I've described to them, that it is almost like they know but don't care if my next servo is actually going to work or not because of a possible TSM software issue.

    That isn't support, that is: "Darn right we will scoop up your money and leave you with half a working truck while we work out our software problems from five years ago"!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-29-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Edit!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    802
    You had said truck n servos work with tsm off right?

    Why not just turn it off and go have fun? Toss in replacement servo when it arrives. Test out tsm again then. Issue still there turn off tsm agaun If still a issue wait for another software update, to see if tsm works better?

    Real driver's dont need tsm


    Really it comes down to how much time and effort do you want to spend on the tsm issue. If turning it off makes truck work.... Understand point that it "should" work....

    Perhaps is a issue on the servo circuit boards... Perhaps firmware issue somewhere? All we can do is guess and keep throwing ideas at it. Really all ya can do at this point is replace servos till problem goes away or turn tsm off...

    Me, I wouldn't spend so much time on it ya know if tsm off makes servos work...

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    You had said truck n servos work with tsm off right?

    Why not just turn it off and go have fun? Toss in replacement servo when it arrives. Test out tsm again then. Issue still there turn off tsm agaun If still a issue wait for another software update, to see if tsm works better?

    Real driver's dont need tsm


    Really it comes down to how much time and effort do you want to spend on the tsm issue. If turning it off makes truck work.... Understand point that it "should" work....

    Perhaps is a issue on the servo circuit boards... Perhaps firmware issue somewhere? All we can do is guess and keep throwing ideas at it. Really all ya can do at this point is replace servos till problem goes away or turn tsm off...

    Me, I wouldn't spend so much time on it ya know if tsm off makes servos work...

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


    Yes, I understand what you are saying. Yes my servo works with TSM off (and Traxxas Support knows this from my e-mails and phone calls and still sends me new servos); but what is it going to take, another five years and maybe TSM will be compatible with their own servos just for the X-Maxx? See what I'm getting at here?

    That is like going somewhere and ordering orange juice and they bring you coffee and you drink their Kool-Aid believing that is what you ordered!

    I forgot to mention, my first 2085 stock servo (already installed in the truck when bought new) worked for a week with TSM on, so I find it hard to swallow the inclination that TSM has to be off for the X-Maxx steering to work with the current up to date firmware. That servo did fail after seven days though.....
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-29-2020 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Fixed.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Double post!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-29-2020 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Fixed
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    So for what it's worth mine fast blinks in the reverse calibration untill I let go of the trigger and then it goes solid green. I have never had any servo issues with this truck and it is completely stock.

    My only issue I've had and this is since the second to the last update (don't recall how long ago) with the VXL 8s is the speedometer works until I let go of the throttle and then it jumps really high. Example is if I'm doing 30mph and let go of the throttle it will jump to say 80mph, It's not a big deal but it's been like this for a while. All 5 of my rigs (1 boat) are set at 25 % TSM in the app and I've never had a problem with steering or any servo's.

    This is the first time I've ever noticed the fast blinking led during the reverse sequence but I also don't recall my last calibration with it either. Everything seems to work as is expected although I'm not sure why it fast blinks and not a single blink.
    Not sure if any of this helps because mine still works.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    So for what it's worth mine fast blinks in the reverse calibration untill I let go of the trigger and then it goes solid green. I have never had any servo issues with this truck and it is completely stock.

    My only issue I've had and this is since the second to the last update (don't recall how long ago) with the VXL 8s is the speedometer works until I let go of the throttle and then it jumps really high. Example is if I'm doing 30mph and let go of the throttle it will jump to say 80mph, It's not a big deal but it's been like this for a while. All 5 of my rigs (1 boat) are set at 25 % TSM in the app and I've never had a problem with steering or any servo's.

    This is the first time I've ever noticed the fast blinking led during the reverse sequence but I also don't recall my last calibration with it either. Everything seems to work as is expected although I'm not sure why it fast blinks and not a single blink.
    Not sure if any of this helps because mine still works.
    It helps Rain Dawg! I always appreciate you chiming in too!

    I just have to step back away from this and cool down a little. I do however have the right to vent because I now own the truck and so far I have not had the truck as advertised since I received it March 4th. I understand that there is a lot of minor details that have to be worked out with this rig even though it is five years later since the 6S version debut.

    I waited five years until I threw the hammer down because that is usually my waiting period to see what everyone has to say over the years about a models progression and what issues were addressed. They improved many things since the 6S version; but how can they continue to overlook the most crucial of all the elements that make an RC worthy even five years after production? They have had plenty of R&D and software time to make TSM worthy for Traxxas models; yet the X-Maxx is the only problematic vehicle as far as the TSM feature for only me as it seems thus far. How can that be?

    I followed every precautionary advisory when buying this vehicle and I still have a truck that loses steering with TSM activated. Essentially, I have to reach into my pocket to correct something that can be blamed on: "It's part of the hobby type mentality" and live with it! To me, there is something wrong with that type of mentality when I'm on servo number three doing the same thing as my 2085X servo did, only this time it is doing it on the replacement 2085 regular servo that worked with TSM for a week when I first got my truck. Three for three not working or flat out failing like my original stock servo did when I first bought the truck.

    Advisory! That is a 100% failure rate so far with no justification as to a logical reason why TSM is only working with all my other vehicles with Traxxas servos and not the X-Maxx. Every thing points to an ESC issue, yet my original stock 2085 servo worked for a week with TSM before it locked up (not stripped gears but a motor issue within the servo) and every replacement servo thus far from Traxxas has failed to work with TSM activated just with the X-Maxx.

    That is why I started that Steering Gremlins thread because I needed to bring to light the evidence that even using all their electronics doesn't warrant a user safe from failures; yet if I just move on and buy a better servo, I would be like everyone else that got frustrated and the issue won't be fixed and just swept under the rug like the last five years I have witnessed in the forums threads.

    In this particular case, the issue isn't being addressed correctly because Traxxas has the resources to ignore it and the customer gets the raw end of the deal because Traxxas Support is there to mediate and pacify the customer into believing falsely that the issue is being attended to, when in reality, all the evidentiary findings in the forums suggest otherwise for years now.

    I'm not here to knock Traxxas down into the dumps, I'm posting because I believe with everything in my heart that when there is a 100% failure rate with something on a Traxxas vehicle and nothing is being done about it because money can be thrown at the problem to smooth it over as "It's part of the hobby" - that just isn't addressing the root problem of the cause ethically or professionally in my opinion.

    But why does my opinion matter, I let the forums bring forth the evidence and truth!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    Nothing wrong with venting and I've alway's found reading your posts that, your information is always helpful or informative and it's weird how mine does the green flashing but still works.

    I know it's gotta be a pain forking out and having nothing but issues, I can appreciate your frustration. Have you considered sending in all of the electronics for Traxxas to give it a once over and check for themselves? Tx, rx, servo's, esc, and motor, just winging it here but at some point it would be nice to hear you actually get to run the truck. I have trouble beleiving it's a servo issue on all three if it takes 2 or 3 weeks for a turn around it would probably releive alot of frustration and more over peice of mind just to send it in.

    Just wondering if the TSM is in the receivers, have you tried a different receiver. I don't recall in any of the posts if the receiver replacement was mentioned.

    And yes your opinion does matter, that's how we all work through our problems on here with people starting threads on issues or at the least giving opinions on how they solved things or things to try for fixes.

    For what it's worth I run all Traxas servo's except my BL E maxx which has 2 Hitec servo's in it. My old Emaxx with a single 775 in it is about 7 yrs old and has the original 2056 servo's and they still work great. All of them have the 6533 receivers with TSM, so for me it's either a rx issue or an esc issue, so I would ask for an RMA# and send everything in and get some peice of mind.

    Why keep messing with something that takes the fun out of running these things, this is just my opinion and I hope you get this sorted out and please post your fixes or solutions to this problem.(I don't know how to make smilely faces) lol.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Nothing wrong with venting and I've alway's found reading your posts that, your information is always helpful or informative and it's weird how mine does the green flashing but still works.
    Yes the calibration still works even though what is written in the manual and what actually happens are two different things entirely.

    That was the first thing I got sorted out thanks to Acidic01!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Have you considered sending in all of the electronics for Traxxas to give it a once over and check for themselves? Tx, rx, servo's, esc, and motor, just winging it here but at some point it would be nice to hear you actually get to run the truck.
    Initially, support wanted to do that, but since my ESC calibrated and the Rx was switched out for a known updated good one with no caution lights on the ESC, Rx or Tx; Traxxas support isolated it down to faulty servos.

    They keep sending me new ones, but I honestly think there is something else going on entirely with the TSM programming for the X-Maxx. Since the steering centers itself when I lose steering, it is as almost if the TSM command permanently interrupts power supply to the servo until the truck comes to a complete stop and the steering comes back to life.

    I told Traxxas support several times the servos work with TSM off; yet they keep sending me replacement servos like they are trying to buy time until my electronics warranty runs out on my ESC.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I have trouble beleiving it's a servo issue on all three if it takes 2 or 3 weeks for a turn around it would probably releive alot of frustration and more over peice of mind just to send it in.
    That is what I keep telling support and they keep insisting it is a servo issue like they are aware of it and just can't tell me over the phone. I don't know what to believe at this point!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Just wondering if the TSM is in the receivers, have you tried a different receiver. I don't recall in any of the posts if the receiver replacement was mentioned.
    Yes, I mentioned that I did in post #3 of this thread and I might of mentioned it my other thread too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    And yes your opinion does matter, that's how we all work through our problems on here with people starting threads on issues or at the least giving opinions on how they solved things or things to try for fixes.
    I hope so, but I just want it understood that I'm not a Traxxas Doom nit picker, I'm just trying to rationally and calmly convey that there is a big difference between Traxxas Support and actually addressing the issues head on.

    Since Traxxas seems to have an endless supply of 2085 and 2085X servos and they keep replacing them for me; I guess I'll play the game as long as they want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    For what it's worth I run all Traxas servo's except my BL E maxx which has 2 Hitec servo's in it. My old Emaxx with a single 775 in it is about 7 yrs old and has the original 2056 servo's and they still work great. All of them have the 6533 receivers with TSM, so for me it's either a rx issue or an esc issue, so I would ask for an RMA# and send everything in and get some peice of mind.
    Unfortunately, they had me playing this servo game for almost a month now and the thirty day warranty expired on the 29th of this month because I bought it on February 29th but didn't receive it until March the 4th.

    It is kind of neat in a way - My X-Maxx only turns a year old every four years!

    However, since it is on record since the 11th of this month that I've had nothing but loss of steering issues, they may elect to work outside the warranty period with me on this one. Keeping my fingers crossed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Why keep messing with something that takes the fun out of running these things, this is just my opinion and I hope you get this sorted out and please post your fixes or solutions to this problem.(I don't know how to make smilely faces) lol.
    Because when I am unable to steer the truck without warning when it's going thirty miles an hour towards an obstacle with only brakes as my avoidance system........well, the fun just kind of took the fun out of itself if you know what I mean!

    I'm serious, it happens without warning when TSM is on, usually about every seven to ten minutes and when I start having fun and least expect it........BAM - I got a vehicle heading in a direction not of my choosing and usually with an unknown amount of stopping distance before imminent collision of something tougher than the truck.

    Turn TSM off - the servos work flawlessly. Again, I told support that and they keep sending me servos anyway. I don't know what they hope to accomplish by that because the problem is in the software for TSM for the X-Maxx period. It has to be; but why isn't anyone else speaking up about it?

    I'm assuming everyone else gets the truck and immediately turns TSM off and never tries it. That isn't very realistic because I know everyone has at least got a chuckle out of turning it on and hitting loose gravel or sand on pavement and enjoyed going completely straight without fishtailing.

    I know the easy fix is to turn off TSM and enjoy the truck, but I paid for TSM and should have the option to at least enjoy my truck with it on from time to time without having to worry about smashing up the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-29-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    I totally agree if you paid for TSM you should be able to use it. While I had some time I went and found your other thread with the steering gremlins and did a complete read through.
    I agree this has been going on for a while and if they sent you an RMA# and you sent in your esc for a reflash or a firmware reboot it might be the solution.
    I would contact them tomorrow morning and ask again about sending in the esc, but in hind sight a while back they had issues with alot of 2075's going out so in reality it is plausable to get a few bad servo's but 3 in a row is weird.
    But if it is a firmware issue why are you the only one unless like you said everyone else turns the tsm off but mine has the speedo gauge acting up and that was the 2nd to last update.
    I'm pretty sure you have to pay for shipping but see about sending in the whole truck maybe it'll happen to the one test driving it and they will sort it out.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I totally agree if you paid for TSM you should be able to use it. While I had some time I went and found your other thread with the steering gremlins and did a complete read through.
    I agree this has been going on for a while and if they sent you an RMA# and you sent in your esc for a reflash or a firmware reboot it might be the solution.
    I would contact them tomorrow morning and ask again about sending in the esc, but in hind sight a while back they had issues with alot of 2075's going out so in reality it is plausable to get a few bad servo's but 3 in a row is weird.
    But if it is a firmware issue why are you the only one unless like you said everyone else turns the tsm off but mine has the speedo gauge acting up and that was the 2nd to last update.
    I'm pretty sure you have to pay for shipping but see about sending in the whole truck maybe it'll happen to the one test driving it and they will sort it out.

    Thanks for looking at the other thread; it shows your integrity to understand and relate to what I'm posting about.

    I am currently in an on-going chain e-mail with Traxxas support about this steering problem and even directed them to the thread links to verify a few things in case there was any doubt about something. I have to learn to accept some things I cannot change at this point and realize that it is not Traxxas' fault for trying to correct my current problem.

    I just wish there were some way to verify that it is a TSM software issue, and the only way that is going to happen is if by the next firmware update I'm not running into things........well, then I'll know and so will they.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Can anyone confirm with absolute one million percent positivity that in step six when calibrating the reverse throttle that the light only blinks GREEN ONCE before returning the trigger to neutral.

    The reason I ask, is because my VXL-8S ESC blinks fast green more than once before turning solid green when the reverse calibration is set. I can't physically release the trigger fast enough before it blinks green more than once.

    There is that and according to this on-line excerpt from the manual, it is suppose to only blink green ONCE before the throttle is returned to neutral and then the light turns solid green:


    Hi, I read your post and reset my VXL 8S, in the final sequence, blinks three times before stay solid green. I apologize for my too late response.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Hi, I read your post and reset my VXL 8S, in the final sequence, blinks three times before stay solid green. I apologize for my too late response.
    So now I have conflicting reports about what the ESC light does on the final sequence.

    You say it blinks three times before staying solid green on the reverse calibration part and yet mine and Acidic01 ESC's blink indefinitely green until the throttle is returned to neutral.

    Anyone else have some different results with the VXL-8S calibration procedure - I'd love to see how interesting this gets.

    Anyway, I took my X-Maxx out since the servo works normally (2085) with TSM off. I left it on at first (50%) on purpose to make sure I would lose steering within the first ten minutes.........which it did.

    So I came to a complete stop and the steering returned as expected and I shut TSM off and drove for 15 minutes without losing steering and then all of the sudden, I hear a high pitch whining coming from the servo compartment. The servo is only two days used.

    Yes, I checked for steering binding after I removed the servo and found none. There was absolutely no reason for the servo to fail. I was driving easy with no jumping and no crashes and no roll-overs or cartwheels.

    The servo motor was spinning at thousands of rpm's and the servo was locked up completely. It did the same thing as my original servo in the truck when bought new. That is now two 2085's that failed the same exact way and the 2085X I sent in just didn't work with TSM on. I'm still waiting on the turnaround to get that servo (2085X) back so I can probably be disappointed a fourth time no doubt.

    I'll keep going at this as long as Traxxas wants to keep sending me servos. At this failure rate with the servos, this may turn out to be the longest thread the Traxxas forum will ever see. Just depends on how long Traxxas wants to keep sending defective servos. I got all the time I need to keep being their beta tester.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-30-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added information.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Interesting.

    This thread got awful quiet after I mentioned the fact that there are now a whopping three people(Thanks Acidic01, Juanmacine and Rain Dawg) who chimed in with the results of how their stock VXL-8S ESC reacts on a calibration procedure.

    Now keep in mind, three of us (Acidic01, Rain Dawg and myself) have the same results with our ESC's and Juanmacine had a completely different result.

    Our (Acidic01, Rain Dawg and myself) ESC's turned solid green after the final indefinite green blinks sequence in the calibration procedure for reverse calibration and Juanmacine's turned solid green after 3 green blinks of the final sequence of the reverse calibration procedure.

    Which procedure is the correct result in light of this information? We may never know unless someone is kind enough and thoroughly graced with the intricate knowledge of how the VXL-8S ESC was designed and programmed.

    I'm not asking for the whole darn bible on how it was built, I'm asking what is the true procedure to know exactly if your ESC is calibrated correctly outside of the fact of the solid green light at the end of the procedure that all of us get?

    Except so far for Juanmacine who gets three green blinks before the light turns solid green at the end of his calibration procedure. Are you sure about that Juanmacine?

    Are you telling us that after you get the two red blinks and you push the throttle trigger to the full reverse position and hold it there, you only get three green blinks and then you release to neutral to get the solid green light? Or does the light just turn solid green after three blinks of green without releasing to neutral? That wouldn't make sense!

    Or maybe it would if yours is working correctly and Acidic01, Rain Dawg's and mine are working incorrectly

    Try holding the trigger in the reverse position longer on the calibration attempt and see if you get more than three blinks of green.

    I would be very interested in your results please.

    In further thinking about this, I'm left wondering if it matters what year the ESC was manufactured. If that is the case, I wonder if Traxxas has updated documentation for current VXl-8S ESC's versus older VXL-8S ESC's?

    But wait a minute, Juanmacine got his X-Maxx in the same time frame I did - Now I'm really wondering about something. I'll get to the bottom of this.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-31-2020 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Error!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Interesting.

    This thread got awful quiet after I mentioned the fact that there are now a whopping three people(Thanks Acidic01, Juanmacine and Rain Dawg) who chimed in with the results of how their stock VXL-8S ESC reacts on a calibration procedure.

    Now keep in mind, three of us (Acidic01, Rain Dawg and myself) have the same results with our ESC's and Juanmacine had a completely different result.

    Our (Acidic01, Rain Dawg and myself) ESC's turned solid green after the final indefinite green blinks sequence in the calibration procedure for reverse calibration and Juanmacine's turned solid green after 3 green blinks of the final sequence of the reverse calibration procedure.

    Which procedure is the correct result in light of this information? We may never know unless someone is kind enough and thoroughly graced with the intricate knowledge of how the VXL-8S ESC was designed and programmed.

    I'm not asking for the whole darn bible on how it was built, I'm asking what is the true procedure to know exactly if your ESC is calibrated correctly outside of the fact of the solid green light at the end of the procedure that all of us get?

    Except so far for Juanmacine who gets three green blinks before the light turns solid green at the end of his calibration procedure. Are you sure about that Juanmacine?

    Are you telling us that after you get the two red blinks and you push the throttle trigger to the full reverse position and hold it there, you only get three green blinks and then you release to neutral to get the solid green light? Or does the light just turn solid green after three blinks of green without releasing to neutral? That wouldn't make sense!

    Or maybe it would if yours is working correctly and Acidic01, Rain Dawg's and mine are working incorrectly

    Try holding the trigger in the reverse position longer on the calibration attempt and see if you get more than three blinks of green.

    I would be very interested in your results please.

    In further thinking about this, I'm left wondering if it matters what year the ESC was manufactured. If that is the case, I wonder if Traxxas has updated documentation for current VXl-8S ESC's versus older VXL-8S ESC's?

    But wait a minute, Juanmacine got his X-Maxx in the same time frame I did - Now I'm really wondering about something. I'll get to the bottom of this.
    Hi again, I'm sure with my ESC, but I retry to reset again for stay secure of all an post the results, maybe I put a video if I can.

    I got my X-Maxx in January, and update all the firmware first all.

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Hi again, I'm sure with my ESC, but I retry to reset again for stay secure of all an post the results, maybe I put a video if I can.

    I got my X-Maxx in January, and update all the firmware first all.
    A video would settle this for sure!

    I would forever be overwhelmed if you could capture it on video!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    I have to say I'm not shocked you lost another servo given the problem is more then faulty servo's at this point. I would also like to think Traxxas would want you to send the whole truck in at this time to get to the bottom of this or at the very least all of your electronics.
    I'm also not sure how computer stuff works but was wondering during the update process if it was possible that there could of been a minor interuption with cell signals that a peice of the update was missed. Reason is I have a cell tower about 5 miles from my house in the country and I constantly drop calls with my Galaxy A70.
    I also wondered if it was an esc issue and it was some sort of power spike you would think it would fry the rx and running a bypass harness with an external bec might be a last resort to say it's firmware or the continued faulty servo's. If you did try this, use an external power source (your battery) rather then disconnecting the esc power out of the receiver. The only thing from your servo to your receiver would be ground and signal, it would rule out a possible esc issue but maybe I'm wrong.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I have to say I'm not shocked you lost another servo given the problem is more then faulty servo's at this point. I would also like to think Traxxas would want you to send the whole truck in at this time to get to the bottom of this or at the very least all of your electronics.
    I'm also not sure how computer stuff works but was wondering during the update process if it was possible that there could of been a minor interuption with cell signals that a peice of the update was missed. Reason is I have a cell tower about 5 miles from my house in the country and I constantly drop calls with my Galaxy A70.
    I also wondered if it was an esc issue and it was some sort of power spike you would think it would fry the rx and running a bypass harness with an external bec might be a last resort to say it's firmware or the continued faulty servo's. If you did try this, use an external power source (your battery) rather then disconnecting the esc power out of the receiver. The only thing from your servo to your receiver would be ground and signal, it would rule out a possible esc issue but maybe I'm wrong.

    At this point, all Iím trying to find out is if the ESC is calibrating correctly or not.

    The update for the firmware was done by Wi-Fi and I got a successful message at the end of the update procedure.
    Honestly, I think all my electronics are fine and working because how else can it be explained that Iím driving the truck with no cautionary lights of any kind to indicate there is a problem?

    Electronics either work or they throw an error; not destroy servos that are already faulty.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-31-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I'm also not sure how computer stuff works but was wondering during the update process if it was possible that there could of been a minor interuption with cell signals that a peice of the update was missed.

    Also, you have to remember that in the Traxxas Link App when an update is performed, the update is re-verified before the app wraps things up. What the re-verification process is doing is checking to make sure none of the code was missed in the download.

    And hey, I did it by Wi-Fi; because like you, the nearest cell tower to me is ten miles out instead of five!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  25. #25
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Also, you have to remember that in the Traxxas Link App when an update is performed, the update is re-verified before the app wraps things up. What the re-verification process is doing is checking to make sure none of the code was missed in the download.

    And hey, I did it by Wi-Fi; because like you, the nearest cell tower to me is ten miles out instead of five!
    I do recall how it goes through the steps but wasn't sure even though it say's it went good if it actually does. Reason being is when we recalibrate the esc is all that info in there from Traxxas already that stay's untouched or does any info get added from an update that might interupt or affect the recalibration.

    So until we know what the actual green flashing light is supposed to be we can assume that 3 out of 4 is correct unless Juanmacine produces a video that say's different.
    Why can't Traxxas verify this? Also if ours are wrong, does that mean we have faulty esc's or can it be fixed with a firmware update?

    So my other question is how do you know for sure there is no error code if by the time you get to it the truck and check, the steering has recentered and maybe the esc looks normal but might be showing an error code that goes to normal when the steering does. If you have a go pro or similar you could place by the esc and check for certain, are you 100% sure it's not displaying the error code while the steering is gone?

    We have owned ours since Xmass 2019 without a single issue or parts replacement of any kind except for the mph gauge jumping in the dash board when we let off the throttle, which started after the second to last update. So I'm not sure if it's a new truck thing, an esc issue, a firmware issue or normal, sorry none of this probably helps.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I do recall how it goes through the steps but wasn't sure even though it say's it went good if it actually does. Reason being is when we recalibrate the esc is all that info in there from Traxxas already that stay's untouched or does any info get added from an update that might interupt or affect the recalibration.
    Funny you should ask that, because as of now I currently have an e-mail pending with Traxxas support about that very possibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    So until we know what the actual green flashing light is supposed to be we can assume that 3 out of 4 is correct unless Juanmacine produces a video that say's different.
    And man would that be a glorious video if it actually shows what he described. It would also at the same time be curious as well, because it would indicate that his VXL-8S was updated differently either from the factory or his recent firmware upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Why can't Traxxas verify this?
    That my friend is the correct question. Here is an example of how my e-mail goes:

    I ask Traxxas support what the correct sequential order of the lights is suppose to be with a successful calibration attempt.

    Their answer: If the light is solid green after the steps, the calibration is complete.

    I said: "That isn't what I asked."

    Their reply: Send us the ESC and we will look at it.

    I said: "You haven't given just cause for a reason for me to send it in because you haven't answered the most simple question I asked."

    It is like pulling teeth to get the answer and all they want is to get my ESC, do their magic and not even tell me if the calibration was the problem or not.

    Would it matter if I knew? No! It's not like the sequence of lights is a trade secret for a successful calibration. Then if that was the problem, I would feel better about the $69 insured shipping cost to get it back to them.

    I'm like how hard can it be to find out what the sequential order of lights on the ESC is for a successful calibration?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Also if ours are wrong, does that mean we have faulty esc's or can it be fixed with a firmware update?
    We aren't at that point yet; but three out of four is a good chance that nothing is wrong with ours and there is something wrong with Juanmacine's ESC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    So my other question is how do you know for sure there is no error code if by the time you get to it the truck and check, the steering has recentered and maybe the esc looks normal but might be showing an error code that goes to normal when the steering does.
    The simple answer is because at least three out of the nine possible error codes for the ESC either limit the power to 50% or trip the receiver to disable the vehicle and you have to unplug the batteries to recover the vehicle from the error state. I haven't had those three.

    The other six are inappropriate gear ratio, low batteries, remove an obstruction from in front of the vehicle, remove an obstruction from the driveline, simply let the motor cool down and finally, Shutdown and Low Voltage Protection occur at the same time.

    I haven't had any of those occurrences either, or had to unplug the batteries to recover from an error.

    All that is courtesy of page 20 of the on-line manual.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    If you have a go pro or similar you could place by the esc and check for certain, are you 100% sure it's not displaying the error code while the steering is gone?
    Between Traxxas Support, the Traxxas Forum for the X-Maxx, and the manual, I think I pretty much answered that in my above reply to your previous question. Traxxas Support said also that they are 100% positive that it would trip the receiver and/or the ESC and the batteries would need unplugged to reset everything. Again, I haven't had to do that, I have just had faulty servos from what I can tell so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    We have owned ours since Xmass 2019 without a single issue or parts replacement of any kind except for the mph gauge jumping in the dash board when we let off the throttle, which started after the second to last update. So I'm not sure if it's a new truck thing, an esc issue, a firmware issue or normal, sorry none of this probably helps.
    Rain Dawg; it always helps and believe it or not you have given me more motivation to get to the bottom of it. Just because I give you reasons that I think are correct because of everyone else's feedback or inaccurate manuals, doesn't mean that you are wrong or not helping.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-31-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Fixed.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Here is my video.

    Last edited by Juanmacine; 04-01-2020 at 10:17 AM.

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Here is my video.

    Thanks for taking the time to make the video with a good angle; but we are interested to know what happens if you hold the throttle trigger forward longer than three green blinks on the reverse calibration part?

    You released it as quick as you could after the reverse calibration sequence and I was able to replicate the same thing.

    We need to know that if on the reverse calibration part, if you continue to hold the throttle trigger in reverse, does it blink indefinitely green until you release the throttle trigger to neutral or does it only blink three times green if you continue to hold the reverse command?

    Overall, I think this video has settled my doubts as to whether my ESC is calibrating correctly. Thanks a million for the video Juanmacine, it really has put my mind at ease that there is nothing wrong with my ESC as far as calibration.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-01-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Revised question.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to make the video with a good angle; but we are interested to know what happens if you hold the throttle trigger forward longer than three green blinks on the reverse calibration part?

    You released it as quick as you could after the reverse calibration sequence and I was able to replicate the same thing.

    We need to know that if on the reverse calibration part, if you continue to hold the throttle trigger in reverse, does it blink indefinitely green until you release the throttle trigger to neutral or does it only blink three times green if you continue to hold the reverse command?

    Overall, I think this video has settled my doubts as to whether my ESC is calibrating correctly. Thanks a million for the video Juanmacine, it really has put my mind at ease that there is nothing wrong with my ESC as far as calibration.
    In response to your question about continue holding the trigger, the LED blinks indefinitely green until I release it. When I release the trigger, the LED blinks like in the video.

    I hope my video helps to discover the issue.

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    In response to your question about continue holding the trigger, the LED blinks indefinitely green until I release it. When I release the trigger, the LED blinks like in the video.

    I hope my video helps to discover the issue.
    It did and Thank You again!

    I know the trouble you had to go through to post a video because even if the video is under a minute long, you have to fill out all that crap about my video is for a certain age group and no it won't offend kids and all that horse crap that comes along with their new guidelines because the world has become so tender and offended to every little thing posted and said on-line.

    I swear the world is turning into a marshmallow of whiners who are offended even by the stuff that is light-hearted and educational.

    So thanks again, because I can now rule out my ESC calibration procedure as a cause for continued failed steering servos with TSM on.

    Now the main thing to find out is if the ESC is power spiking and I think Rain Dawg had a procedure I could use to determine if my ESC is power spiking. I wonder if that would mean one of my CAP packs is bad on the ESC?

    I'm going to go run a few more bench tests on the nominal voltage to the receiver and see if there are power spikes when forward or reverse throttle are applied. That should tell me if something about the health of the ESC is questionable.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-01-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Fixed.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    It did and Thank You again!

    I know the trouble you had to go through to post a video because even if the video is under a minute long, you have to fill out all that crap about my video is for a certain age group and no it won't offend kids and all that horse crap that comes along with their new guidelines because the world has become so tender and offended to every little thing posted and said on-line.

    I swear the world is turning into a marshmallow of whiners who are offended even by the stuff that is light-hearted and educational.

    So thanks again, because I can now rule out my ESC calibration procedure as a cause for continued failed steering servos with TSM on.

    Now the main thing to find out is if the ESC is power spiking and I think Rain Dawg had a procedure I could use to determine if my ESC is power spiking. I wonder if that would mean one of my CAP packs is bad on the ESC?

    I'm going to go run a few more bench tests on the nominal voltage to the receiver and see if there are power spikes when forward or reverse throttle are applied. That should tell me if something about the health of the ESC is questionable.
    I haven't any problem with the video, I have a channel and upload videos about my rigs, when I can, of course. I appreciate your amiability, I stay here for help in the forum in any case I can.

  32. #32
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    Wow that's awesome Juanmacine, looks like 4/4 and it seems it's a typo in the manual. Flux I have to admit I'm a little red faced, I never read the manual to see all the different error codes. I went as far as to check steering linkage and tighten any loose bolts, diff oil levels and then run it lol.

    Not that you need this given your experience level but thought it might help with the process if you decided to try this with an external bec and a home made Holmes Hobbies adapter. Flux, things are coming together with your due diligence and narrowing things down one step at a time, very interested to see where this ends up.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rvos-and-tires

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Wow that's awesome Juanmacine, looks like 4/4 and it seems it's a typo in the manual. Flux I have to admit I'm a little red faced, I never read the manual to see all the different error codes. I went as far as to check steering linkage and tighten any loose bolts, diff oil levels and then run it lol.

    Not that you need this given your experience level but thought it might help with the process if you decided to try this with an external bec and a home made Holmes Hobbies adapter. Flux, things are coming together with your due diligence and narrowing things down one step at a time, very interested to see where this ends up.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rvos-and-tires

    Ah! Don't get red faced about the manual part, we all know it tends to be wrong from time to time and in my particular case, I sometimes I wished I never read it because it led me to believe some things were wrong, when in fact nothing is wrong.

    It is no wonder they stopped the printed publication versions of the manuals you use to get with a new purchase. Now we get what they call a "Quick Start Guide" - oh joy!


    I'm going to look over your link very carefully even though I just got through bench testing the ESC for power spikes.

    The voltage stayed rock steady at 6.02 volts nominal through motor rotations forward, reverse and braking. I have now ruled out any and I think all ESC technicalities that could even remotely be related to any servo issues.

    Still though, I liked your idea about the Go-Pro approach to rule out any cautionary lights that may be triggered and correct themselves before I get to the vehicle to see. Yet, it would be a receiver light, not a ESC light that would be tripped in the case of my servos. Further still, even though I had two 2085 servos lock up solid with the motors whining, I didn't get any receiver failure lights - it stayed green. Odd?

    This is looking more and more like a tainted supply of 2085 and 2085X servos at this point and I get my replacement 2085X tomorrow to see if it works with TSM on.

    See if I can get lucky with the fourth try of a Traxxas servo. If I lose steering with the 2085X servo with TSM on, it would have to be without a doubt something with the latest TSM firmware update and/or faulty servos. They are the only two possibilities left.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-01-2020 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Wow that's awesome Juanmacine, looks like 4/4 and it seems it's a typo in the manual. Flux I have to admit I'm a little red faced, I never read the manual to see all the different error codes. I went as far as to check steering linkage and tighten any loose bolts, diff oil levels and then run it lol.

    Not that you need this given your experience level but thought it might help with the process if you decided to try this with an external bec and a home made Holmes Hobbies adapter. Flux, things are coming together with your due diligence and narrowing things down one step at a time, very interested to see where this ends up.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rvos-and-tires
    Very interesting post, thanks for sharing.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Ah! Don't get red faced about the manual part, we all know it tends to be wrong from time to time and in my particular case, I sometimes I wished I never read it because it led me to believe some things were wrong, when in fact nothing is wrong.

    It is no wonder they stopped the printed publication versions of the manuals you use to get with a new purchase. Now we get what they call a "Quick Start Guide" - oh joy!


    I'm going to look over your link very carefully even though I just got through bench testing the ESC for power spikes.

    The voltage stayed rock steady at 6.02 volts nominal through motor rotations forward, reverse and braking. I have now ruled out any and I think all ESC technicalities that could even remotely be related to any servo issues.

    Still though, I liked your idea about the Go-Pro approach to rule out any cautionary lights that may be triggered and correct themselves before I get to the vehicle to see. Yet, it would be a receiver light, not a ESC light that would be tripped in the case of my servos. Further still, even though I had two 2085 servos lock up solid with the motors whining, I didn't get any receiver failure lights - it stayed green. Odd?

    This is looking more and more like a tainted supply of 2085 and 2085X servos at this point and I get my replacement 2085X tomorrow to see if it works with TSM on.

    See if I can get lucky with the fourth try of a Traxxas servo. If I lose steering with the 2085X servo with TSM on, it would have to be without a doubt something with the latest TSM firmware update and/or faulty servos. They are the only two possibilities left.
    Hope you have more good luck with the next servo.

  36. #36
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    The part that I find strange is that I did the update and have no issues which goes back to when you did it if it was a firmware issue then it could only mean something got missed for yours (even though it says it was sucessful) or the rx has a mind of it's own because it yeah's or neah's the tsm.

    It will be interesting to see how this 4th servo does, if it fails I would replace the rx if number 5 fails replace the esc (I guess this would only work if Traxxas continues to send servo's to you) lol. If after servo 5 fails (I'm trying not to laugh typing this only because if you actually get to 5 that would be ridiculous) then I would ask Traxxas to replace the whole truck and start fresh.

    Did you completely rule out a faulty tx (I thought I might of read you did) that might be sending intermittent signals that caused the truck to have the steering lock one way, maybe a bad solder joint inside.

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    The part that I find strange is that I did the update and have no issues which goes back to when you did it if it was a firmware issue then it could only mean something got missed for yours (even though it says it was sucessful) or the rx has a mind of it's own because it yeah's or neah's the tsm.
    What I don't understand, is if the firmware update missed some of the encoding for the update, the only thing I could do is find another outdated Rx (6533) and try the update again. I'm running out of Rx's to try at this point.

    See, the thing I don't like, is if your Rx is updated, but it in fact did miss some encoding, there is no way to roll back the firmware update in the Rx that contains the bad firmware update and the App indefinitely keeps telling me it's up to date when in fact it may not be.

    That is $50 bucks every time some encoding is missed on an update or Traxxas flubs the firmware update. They did this same thing on the Bluetooth Modules awhile back where they had to flash everyone's Bluetooth Module and send it back to them because it wouldn't work with certain phones or something to that tune.

    I am on my second Rx and I think I have a third Rx I can try. It can't be the Rx because I swapped it out for a known good fully updated one that works with TSM in my E-Maxx Brushless.

    So, it isn't my ESC, transmitter or Rx that is bad. There is literally nothing left to swap out except a new servo and I get that tomorrow and will report my findings. Here is another question support keeps avoiding when I ask. I asked them if the ESC can cause all these servo headaches and they just keep telling me to send it in and not answer my question.

    I mean how hard is it to say: "Yes, it is possible for the ESC to cause these headaches, please send in the ESC." But they don't say that and are like robots that are programed to tell me to: "Send in the ESC" because they don't know the technical side of the electronics.

    I bet the guy answering the phone was thirty years younger than me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this 4th servo does, if it fails I would replace the rx if number 5 fails replace the esc (I guess this would only work if Traxxas continues to send servo's to you) lol. If after servo 5 fails (I'm trying not to laugh typing this only because if you actually get to 5 that would be ridiculous) then I would ask Traxxas to replace the whole truck and start fresh.
    You go ahead and laugh, because it is the only thing I can do at this point before I go and throw it on the railroad tracks and then burn it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Did you completely rule out a faulty tx (I thought I might of read you did) that might be sending intermittent signals that caused the truck to have the steering lock one way, maybe a bad solder joint inside.
    Yep, switched out the Tx also. Besides, the way two out of the three servos failed (locked up and servo motor spinning out of control wildly inside the servo) would have nothing to do with the Tx. The metal geared servo just wouldn't work with TSM on and when I sent it back to them, it still was working but just wouldn't work with TSM on.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-01-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Missed something.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  38. #38
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Interesting.

    This thread got awful quiet after I mentioned the fact that there are now a whopping three people(Thanks Acidic01, Juanmacine and Rain Dawg) who chimed in with the results of how their stock VXL-8S ESC reacts on a calibration procedure.

    Now keep in mind, three of us (Acidic01, Rain Dawg and myself) have the same results with our ESC's and Juanmacine had a completely different result.

    Our (Acidic01, Rain Dawg and myself) ESC's turned solid green after the final indefinite green blinks sequence in the calibration procedure for reverse calibration and Juanmacine's turned solid green after 3 green blinks of the final sequence of the reverse calibration procedure.

    Which procedure is the correct result in light of this information? We may never know unless someone is kind enough and thoroughly graced with the intricate knowledge of how the VXL-8S ESC was designed and programmed.

    I'm not asking for the whole darn bible on how it was built, I'm asking what is the true procedure to know exactly if your ESC is calibrated correctly outside of the fact of the solid green light at the end of the procedure that all of us get?

    Except so far for Juanmacine who gets three green blinks before the light turns solid green at the end of his calibration procedure. Are you sure about that Juanmacine?

    Are you telling us that after you get the two red blinks and you push the throttle trigger to the full reverse position and hold it there, you only get three green blinks and then you release to neutral to get the solid green light? Or does the light just turn solid green after three blinks of green without releasing to neutral? That wouldn't make sense!

    Or maybe it would if yours is working correctly and Acidic01, Rain Dawg's and mine are working incorrectly

    Try holding the trigger in the reverse position longer on the calibration attempt and see if you get more than three blinks of green.

    I would be very interested in your results please.

    In further thinking about this, I'm left wondering if it matters what year the ESC was manufactured. If that is the case, I wonder if Traxxas has updated documentation for current VXl-8S ESC's versus older VXL-8S ESC's?

    But wait a minute, Juanmacine got his X-Maxx in the same time frame I did - Now I'm really wondering about something. I'll get to the bottom of this.
    In response to the red section above in the quote, I think the best way to know that your ESC is in fact calibrated correctly is the fact that the light is solid green when at neutral, solid green at full throttle, and solid green at full brake/reverse. This shows that the ESC is giving "full power" at both ends of the throttle trigger throw on the transmitter.

    As far as programming goes, my ESC appears to just rapidly flash green at the end of the calibration until I release the brake. I'm running the latest version of firmware.

  39. #39
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,058
    All I know is that in the past I have done updates and the odd time myself or other forum members would have an issue. Quite a while back it was weird where a few of us would have to add a second vehicle in the app and select that and all the gauges worked and then after another update everything would be ok.

    It was hit and miss why some worked and others didn't on updates. Yes I was one of the unlucky ones who had to send in his BT module and rx twice within a few months of each other including my tx which bricked up with no lights but the BTmodule would light up. Thanks to Jenny's RC the price for a tx and new rx was always a cheap fix. Since then I have made sure to always have 5 tx's with BTmodules updated to all of my rigs so I have minimal down time.
    Post #20 gives you an idea of what we went through previously but I have to say that I haven't had a lot of issues with Traxxas's updates since, maybe the odd little bug but things have been relatively good.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...0612-New-Issue

    So after reading this thread over again an option that might be of help is to try an older phone and see if you have the same servo problems and then you'll know if it's a firmware issue or not. Then again a new steering issue popped up in another thread this morning.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ering-response

    In the end you still have the option to send in your electronics for replacement or a reflash or whatever it is they do and having that kind of warranty is second to none in the hobby, and for some of us who they have replaced stuff well beyond the 30 day limit can't be beat. As hard as it is you might need to wash your hands of this without all the answers and send in your electronics and start enjoying this truck for what it is, a BEAST.

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    As hard as it is you might need to wash your hands of this without all the answers and send in your electronics and start enjoying this truck for what it is, a BEAST.

    Well, Today was the Day I started enjoying this truck for what it is!

    Put the replacement 2085X servo in this morning and have been running the truck non-stop since 11:00a.m. Worked on 6S and 8S with no problems. TSM working flawlessly and I'm not losing steering every couple of minutes anymore! I knew it was a servo issue; I just knew it couldn't be anything else because the truck would run fine when the servos did work before they either gave out or didn't work with TSM.

    Just thought I'd take a break and post my results.

    It was without a doubt; Bad Servos. I was just the lucky guy that got three bad ones in a row. I look at it this way, I saved somebody else from getting bad servos at least.

    Well, batteries are almost done charging and it is time to torment the neighborhood some more with the orange monster!

    Finally, a month later, I am getting to enjoy my truck!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-02-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Celebration Time!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •