Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 228
  1. #41
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Well, Today was the Day I started enjoying this truck for what it is!

    Put the replacement 2085X servo in this morning and have been running the truck non-stop since 11:00a.m. Worked on 6S and 8S with no problems. TSM working flawlessly and I'm not losing steering every couple of minutes anymore! I knew it was a servo issue; I just knew it couldn't be anything else because the truck would run fine when the servos did work before they either gave out or didn't work with TSM.

    Just thought I'd take a break and post my results.

    It was without a doubt; Bad Servos. I was just the lucky guy that got three bad ones in a row. I look at it this way, I saved somebody else from getting bad servos at least.

    Well, batteries are almost done charging and it is time to torment the neighborhood some more with the orange monster!

    Finally, a month later, I am getting to enjoy my truck!
    I'm very glad for you, finally you can enjoy your Orange Monster,
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 04-02-2020 at 02:15 PM.

  2. #42
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    Super glad to hear your up and running, my thoughts were if it worked without tsm and didn't with it, it had to be a firmware issue or a rx, but you now have a fun machine to play with.

  3. #43
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I'm very glad for you, finally you can enjoy your Orange Monster,
    Thanks to you for saving me from sending my ESC in. I was almost ready to throw in the towel on the ESC and that would have probably been four more weeks of down time for nothing until I saw your video.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Super glad to hear your up and running, my thoughts were if it worked without tsm and didn't with it, it had to be a firmware issue or a rx, but you now have a fun machine to play with.
    Who said anything about play with it! I drive mine!

    It's funny; little kids were playing with their Tonka trucks across the street from me in a dirt field and I whipped out the X-Maxx and they saw it and they looked back at their little push toy trucks and kicked them and got their dad to come see what I was doing.

    I feel bad for that father because there were three kids kicking their Tonka trucks to the curb while dad was standing there watching roosts and frowning the whole time like he knew how much they cost.

    Who knows, maybe I'll get some driving partners later that are a little closer than fifty miles away; but then again, I doubt it because the average daily driver car here in the sticks is about a $900 vehicle and is all they can afford.

    I feel bad for the folks around me and should count my blessings.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-02-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Tonka Blues
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  4. #44
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Thanks to you for saving me from sending my ESC in. I was almost ready to throw in the towel on the ESC and that would have probably been four more weeks of down time for nothing until I saw your video.
    You're welcome, if I can help anyone, I will.

  5. #45
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    You're welcome, if I can help anyone, I will.
    Just know that you did and you saved me money on top of helping me.

    You are a very worthy member of the forums already and I look forward to your replies in other threads I may start as well as threads started by others.

    Thank you again, and enjoy your rig too!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-02-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  6. #46
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Just know that you did and you saved me money on top of helping me.

    You are a very worthy member of the forums already and I look forward to your replies in other threads I may start as well as threads started by others.

    Thank you again, and enjoy your rig too!
    Thanks again for your comment, I appreciate very much.

  7. #47
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550

    Problems Back!

    Well, the problem is back on the fourth servo now. Running with TSM at any percentage causes a loss of steering. Stop the truck (with TSM still on); the steering returns for a couple of minutes and then it goes out again.

    Turn TSM off and the steering works flawlessly.

    Hmmmm.......lets look at that statement more closely:

    Turn TSM off and the steering works flawlessly.

    What does this mean? It means that there is something wrong with one of three things.

    1 - Something is wrong with the TSM firmware update from Traxxas on their end.

    2 - Something is wrong my ESC.

    3 - Something is wrong with the fourth servo from Traxxas that I have tried.

    What doesn't make sense, is the 2085X replacement servo worked for three days with TSM on and then the fourth day the problem returned.

    What the heck is going on here? It has to be the servos failing; there is no other logical explanation at this point - or is there.

    I have tried everything within my knowledge to solve this as I have an extensive good supply of 6533 TSM receivers and 2.4 TQi transmitter radios among other things I have tried.

    I just don't understand what the heck is going on.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  8. #48
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Well, the problem is back on the fourth servo now. Running with TSM at any percentage causes a loss of steering. Stop the truck (with TSM still on); the steering returns for a couple of minutes and then it goes out again.

    Turn TSM off and the steering works flawlessly.

    Hmmmm.......lets look at that statement more closely:

    Turn TSM off and the steering works flawlessly.

    What does this mean? It means that there is something wrong with one of three things.

    1 - Something is wrong with the TSM firmware update from Traxxas on their end.

    2 - Something is wrong my ESC.

    3 - Something is wrong with the fourth servo from Traxxas that I have tried.

    What doesn't make sense, is the 2085X replacement servo worked for three days with TSM on and then the fourth day the problem returned.

    What the heck is going on here? It has to be the servos failing; there is no other logical explanation at this point - or is there.

    I have tried everything within my knowledge to solve this as I have an extensive good supply of 6533 TSM receivers and 2.4 TQi transmitter radios among other things I have tried.

    I just don't understand what the heck is going on.
    Sorry to read this, really. ┐Have you any other servo, non Traxxas, to try with it? Tomorow probe mine in depht if I can and I will write results in a post here.
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 04-05-2020 at 03:20 PM.

  9. #49
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Sorry to read this, really. ┐Have you any other servo, non Traxxas, to try with it? Tomorow probe mine in depht if I can and I will write results in a post here.
    No, I don't have an aftermarket servo yet, but plan on getting a ProModeler. He sells one exclusively for the X-Maxx.

    I might try and wire in my BEC and just run the signal wire of the Traxxas servo to the receiver and see if that stops the intermittent loss of steering.

    By doing this, I will eliminate the internal BEC power supply to the servo from the ESC to rule it out as a possible culprit. Also, with just a signal wire going to the receiver for the servo, it will tell me if something is wrong with the TSM update. If it is a intermittent loss of power issue, the external BEC will prevent that and then I'll know if I have a defective ESC.

    Well, that is my plan anyway for now.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  10. #50
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    No, I don't have an aftermarket servo yet, but plan on getting a ProModeler. He sells one exclusively for the X-Maxx.

    I might try and wire in my BEC and just run the signal wire of the Traxxas servo to the receiver and see if that stops the intermittent loss of steering.

    By doing this, I will eliminate the internal BEC power supply to the servo from the ESC to rule it out as a possible culprit. Also, with just a signal wire going to the receiver for the servo, it will tell me if something is wrong with the TSM update. If it is a intermittent loss of power issue, the external BEC will prevent that and then I'll know if I have a defective ESC.

    Well, that is my plan anyway for now.
    Pro Modeler is a very good brand for servos, with an external BEC, maybe you can isolate the problem, I hope if it's yes. Don't forget you need Traxxas Adapter 7749 to install standart size servos.
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 04-05-2020 at 04:18 PM.

  11. #51
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    Well that's not good. In post #39 I mentioned If you had an older phone with the app already installed and tried that you could instantly tell if it was a firmware issue without doing anything else. Just make sure when it calls for an update that you have your wifi off so you can run with the older version of firmware.

    I have 3 different phones all with different updates that I can jump back to if needed to tell if it's a firmware or other problem. In the future when this is sorted out be nice to your wife and see if she'll let you down load the firmware on her phone lol. Then when you do future updates you'll have a backup plan to test your electronics.
    Good luck it'll be interesting to see what the issue ends up being.

  12. #52
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Pro Modeler is a very good brand for servos, with an external BEC, maybe you can isolate the problem, I hope if it's yes. Don't forget you need Traxxas Adapter 7749 to install standart size servos.
    I can't believe this. I tried to run an external BEC at 6v to the 2085X servo using the black and red (ground and power) and running just the signal wire (white) from the servo to the receiver and the servo won't get power from an external BEC.

    Traxxas thought of everything, because however that circuit board is in the servo, the signal and power have to come from the same source. I can't even troubleshoot it because of all this proprietary crap.

    Hey Juanmacine, have you tried running with TSM on for a whole run? If you don't use TSM, you may never experience the problem and maybe if you turn it on and report back if there are any problems with it, I'd appreciate that.

    Someone else has to run with TSM on that has stock electronics and a Traxxas servo to possibly replicate the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Well that's not good. In post #39 I mentioned If you had an older phone with the app already installed and tried that you could instantly tell if it was a firmware issue without doing anything else. Just make sure when it calls for an update that you have your wifi off so you can run with the older version of firmware.

    I have 3 different phones all with different updates that I can jump back to if needed to tell if it's a firmware or other problem. In the future when this is sorted out be nice to your wife and see if she'll let you down load the firmware on her phone lol. Then when you do future updates you'll have a backup plan to test your electronics.
    Good luck it'll be interesting to see what the issue ends up being.
    No; I don't have an older phone or iPod to troubleshoot and no wife to nag! Good thought though.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-05-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  13. #53
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    The grandson ran 2 sets of packs through ours Friday and no issue with ours since the day we got it Xmass 2019 and has been set in the app at 25% and we have never experienced a problem. It's completely stock everything, but it might be because ours is older then both of ones you guy's have.
    If you had contact with a buddy who has an older version on his phone that might help adding the Xmaxx and running with that firmware.

  14. #54
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    If you had contact with a buddy who has an older version on his phone that might help adding the Xmaxx and running with that firmware.

    See, this is what I don't understand. If there is a problem with the most up to date firmware, why isn't Traxxas addressing the issue. I shouldn't have to run older firmware on a brand new purchase of an X-Maxx just to have steering with TSM on.

    Traxxas is sending me a new 6533 TSM receiver after I have repeatedly told them that I have swapped out the receiver to rule out any problem with it. Every time I suggest or hint that there may be a problem with the latest TSM firmware update, support keeps suggesting that there is nothing wrong with it and moves my problem to something else on the truck.

    They keep telling me to check for binding in the steering rack, or my servo saver is adjusted incorrectly. They keep moving my problem in the sense that they are insinuating that I don't know how to set up an RC and keep avoiding actually admitting that it may be a problem on their end with the actual update. Furthermore, you kind of back up my theory even more by suggesting that I run older firmware to troubleshoot the problem also.

    I can't seem to convey to support enough that there is something seriously wrong with TSM on this current firmware version and they are doing everything in their power to avoid admitting that it may very well be a mistake on their end. In other words, I have exhausted every option the end user has the option or power to correct, yet they are doing everything in their power to avoid sending me a new ESC when this probably should have been handled by sending me all new electronics in the first place.

    Ever since I told them that the steering works with TSM off, in their mind, it is everything but a problem with the TSM firmware or ESC and so far they have been wrong every step of the way. When I find out what is causing this loss of steering with TSM on, I'm afraid that I'm going to be the one saying in the end: "I told you so Traxxas" and they are going to be eating their words for not listening to me from the get go, because they wanted to beat around the bush because they know it is something the end user has no power over - which is the updates or sending me a new ESC and/or admitting it is the ESC/TSM firmware that could be at fault in the first place.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-06-2020 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  15. #55
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    Man I feel your frustration, I don't beleive anyone can seriously relate to how bad this is for you being the owner of a new Xmaxx and replacing 4 servos and numerous rx's and swapping tx's.

    I'm just trying to look at it from what I've experienced or stuff that might lead to a conclusion on ruling things out or proving certain things.

    The easiest way for ruling on the tsm firmware is to go back to an earlier version, suggesting to find someone with a device wether on FB ( I don't do it or beleive in it) or maybe someone that works at a lhs that hasn't done the latest update. Anything right now is tough with the Covid-19 stuff going on and I also don't beleive in social distancing so finding that someone with a device is going to be tough. That older device for me would yeah or neah the firmware that couldn't be argued not matter what anyone says.

    When you install their new rx you still won't know what it was because the firmware for it might of had a fix in it when you receive it. So if you went with replacing the esc before you try the new rx and the same thing happened, then it's the rx or the firmware, but that would mean your BT Module might be the problem because you can control the tsm with it.

    An older device by far is your best bet for finding out wether it's firmware or not and then you can start with the other electronics.
    You've been really patient so far so take a deep breath and relax, tomorrow's a new day with new ideas and it'll work itself out, says the guy with the hole in the door from the axe going here's Johnny.
    An attempt at some humor through all the frustration lol.

  16. #56
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Man I feel your frustration, I don't beleive anyone can seriously relate to how bad this is for you being the owner of a new Xmaxx and replacing 4 servos and numerous rx's and swapping tx's.

    I'm just trying to look at it from what I've experienced or stuff that might lead to a conclusion on ruling things out or proving certain things.

    The easiest way for ruling on the tsm firmware is to go back to an earlier version, suggesting to find someone with a device wether on FB ( I don't do it or beleive in it) or maybe someone that works at a lhs that hasn't done the latest update. Anything right now is tough with the Covid-19 stuff going on and I also don't beleive in social distancing so finding that someone with a device is going to be tough. That older device for me would yeah or neah the firmware that couldn't be argued not matter what anyone says.

    When you install their new rx you still won't know what it was because the firmware for it might of had a fix in it when you receive it. So if you went with replacing the esc before you try the new rx and the same thing happened, then it's the rx or the firmware, but that would mean your BT Module might be the problem because you can control the tsm with it.

    An older device by far is your best bet for finding out wether it's firmware or not and then you can start with the other electronics.
    You've been really patient so far so take a deep breath and relax, tomorrow's a new day with new ideas and it'll work itself out, says the guy with the hole in the door from the axe going here's Johnny.
    An attempt at some humor through all the frustration lol.
    Good humor never hurts and I appreciate it!

    Support wants me to send the whole truck back. I laughed seriously hard at this one because I looked up the shipping rate on UPS for a 20+ lb package in my zone to send back to them, and by comparison, it would actually be cheaper to buy the max 6 ESC than to ship the whole truck back.

    Something is seriously wrong with this picture. Traxxas wants me to reach into my own pocket for return shipping after the fact that I own the truck to pay for a defect that existed before the truck was shipped to me. This is not right.

    I'll say it again, it is ethically and professionally unsound for any business to expect their customers to pay for return shipping on a product that was shipped faulty to begin with.

    Something is not right here.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-06-2020 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Fixed
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  17. #57
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    I hear you on the shipping cost but in the end your truck will be what you paid for and I'm confident that what you went through will not happen again when you get it back.
    I'm not sure how or why they choose to do their returns the way they do, but what I can tell you is that I sent a complete boat to them on my dime and wasn't disappointed with their warranty replacement that I received back with an approximate 3 week turn around time.
    With the call logs and the replacements of numerous parts within days of receiving your truck and having nothing but issues you would think it might be a little different in certain cases.
    My guess is they want to check out the servo saver setup and most likely replace all of your electronics.
    The shipping cost is a downer so maybe give support another call and see if they can work with you on that seeing as the problem started within 7 days of receiving the truck. Good luck you deserve some.

  18. #58
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I can't believe this. I tried to run an external BEC at 6v to the 2085X servo using the black and red (ground and power) and running just the signal wire (white) from the servo to the receiver and the servo won't get power from an external BEC.

    Traxxas thought of everything, because however that circuit board is in the servo, the signal and power have to come from the same source. I can't even troubleshoot it because of all this proprietary crap.

    Hey Juanmacine, have you tried running with TSM on for a whole run? If you don't use TSM, you may never experience the problem and maybe if you turn it on and report back if there are any problems with it, I'd appreciate that.

    Someone else has to run with TSM on that has stock electronics and a Traxxas servo to possibly replicate the problem.



    No; I don't have an older phone or iPod to troubleshoot and no wife to nag! Good thought though.
    Hi again mate, I run mine while 30 minutes or some, with TSM on, 60%, and no fails, I continue try for post the results.

  19. #59
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    I just reread your post and you should look over my thread that I posted a link above earlier. You need to plug the servo into the bec but then run the ground and signal only back out of that plug to the rx, it won't work the way you tried.

  20. #60
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Henk View Post
    In response to the red section above in the quote, I think the best way to know that your ESC is in fact calibrated correctly is the fact that the light is solid green when at neutral, solid green at full throttle, and solid green at full brake/reverse. This shows that the ESC is giving "full power" at both ends of the throttle trigger throw on the transmitter.

    As far as programming goes, my ESC appears to just rapidly flash green at the end of the calibration until I release the brake. I'm running the latest version of firmware.
    I'm sorry, I just spotted your post today as I was going over the thread again. Thank you for taking the time to chime in.

    Yes, you are correct that at both ends of the throttle/brake spectrum after calibration, the light will turn solid green as I took my tires off to confirm. I didn't want to balloon them during the test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Hi again mate, I run mine while 30 minutes or some, with TSM on, 60%, and no fails, I continue try for post the results.
    O.K. - Thanks Juanmacine!


    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    The shipping cost is a downer so maybe give support another call and see if they can work with you on that seeing as the problem started within 7 days of receiving the truck. Good luck you deserve some.
    That was my whole point. The truck didn't work as advertised and Traxxas expects me to reach into my pocket to pay $231.70 (UPS) to ship it back when the defect wasn't even something I was responsible for.

    Don't believe me on the return shipping cost? I could post the shipping chart from UPS for my zone if you don't. A fourth of that cost is to insure it in case it is misdirected during shipping or is lost or some natural disaster sweeps the UPS truck away.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I just reread your post and you should look over my thread that I posted a link above earlier. You need to plug the servo into the bec but then run the ground and signal only back out of that plug to the rx, it won't work the way you tried.
    I know, like this right?




    I miss typed how I did it in my post outlining that procedure. I think maybe I had a loose connection and will try again today.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-06-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  21. #61
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I'm sorry, I just spotted your post today as I was going over the thread again. Thank you for taking the time to chime in.

    Yes, you are correct that at both ends of the throttle/brake spectrum after calibration, the light will turn solid green as I took my tires off to confirm. I didn't want to balloon them during the test.



    O.K. - Thanks Juanmacine!




    That was my whole point. The truck didn't work as advertised and Traxxas expects me to reach into my pocket to pay $231.70 (UPS) to ship it back when the defect wasn't even something I was responsible for.

    Don't believe me on the return shipping cost? I could post the shipping chart from UPS for my zone if you don't. A fourth of that cost is to insure it in case it is misdirected during shipping or is lost or some natural disaster sweeps the UPS truck away.




    I know, like this right?




    I miss typed how I did it in my post outlining that procedure. I think maybe I had a loose connection and will try again today.
    Yes, the photo diagram is correct.

  22. #62
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    Sorry I had no idea the shipping costs that much, when I sent mine I was shocked it cost me $100.00 but I shipped mine through the mail with a tracking #. Not sure if you have that option but no way would I pay a courier that much.
    My appologies on the above post, you have the right connector.

  23. #63
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Don't forget to set the BEC at 6,0 volts, never over, or is possible to fried your RX.

  24. #64
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Don't forget to set the BEC at 6,0 volts, never over, or is possible to fried your RX.
    If you connect the bec to the battery directly for power and use the bypass harness above the only thing going into the rx is a ground & signal so you can crank the external bec to the max the servo can handle which I beleive Traxxas servos are rated at 6v but after market servos you can go up to 8.4v.

  25. #65
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    If you connect the bec to the battery directly for power and use the bypass harness above the only thing going into the rx is a ground & signal so you can crank the external bec to the max the servo can handle which I beleive Traxxas servos are rated at 6v but after market servos you can go up to 8.4v.
    Yes, sorry for my mistake, I'm thinking on common BEC wiring, with the Castle harness there is no problem with this.

  26. #66
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Man. I just read through this thread and am amazed that Traxxas hasnt stepped up to right this machine. I just bought a new 8s, have only run it twice. If I can be of any help, let me know. I havent tried updating firmware or any other modification for that matter. It is 100% stock.

  27. #67
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Man. I just read through this thread and am amazed that Traxxas hasnt stepped up to right this machine. I just bought a new 8s, have only run it twice. If I can be of any help, let me know. I havent tried updating firmware or any other modification for that matter. It is 100% stock.
    I just asked them today if they would be willing to ship me a replacement ESC because Traxxas and I have exhausted every other possibility. I said to them that it would be useless to send the whole truck in at this point because I have tried and they have replaced every thing possible (except the ESC and transmitter) that could cause loss of steering when TSM is on.

    They sent me a couple of replacement servos and the problem still remains.

    I have extra transmitters and 6533 TSM receivers that work flawlessly, so there was no need for them to send those.

    I mean what are they going to tell me now? Hey man, the front bumper is loose and that is causing TSM to make you lose steering.

    There is no way that I am reaching into my pocket to spend a couple of hundred bucks to send the whole truck back when obviously it is just the ESC causing this. They have to meet me on some middle ground here because as of March 11th, I haven't had a truck that steers with TSM on. It works with TSM off; but that isn't the point.

    So far, I am still waiting for their answer about stepping up to their electronics warranty claim and getting this resolved. Four more days will be one month wasted trying to get this resolved through support.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-07-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Fixed.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  28. #68
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Man. I just read through this thread and am amazed that Traxxas hasnt stepped up to right this machine. I just bought a new 8s, have only run it twice. If I can be of any help, let me know. I havent tried updating firmware or any other modification for that matter. It is 100% stock.
    Mate, update the firmware, is a good procedure and necessary, there are a lot of updates for all components.

  29. #69
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, update the firmware, is a good procedure and necessary, there are a lot of updates for all components.
    Then obviously my ESC has a corrupt update. Somehow my ESC is sending information to the receiver that is interfering with the TSM function.

    All I know is that the amount of time I have spent with this issue, Traxxas better not even have the nerve to tell me to send my current faulty ESC in for evaluation and waste three more weeks of my time when the remedy is to ship me an alternate ESC and I'll ship them the faulty one.

    In other words, they owe me that and not a "Lets do a turnaround procedure" where I ship in my ESC and they do their magic while I twiddle my thumbs for three weeks. It has already been almost a month, and if they would have just listened to what I was explaining to them more carefully, this would have been corrected already.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-07-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  30. #70
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    12
    Before you said it was without a doubt a bad servo, now you say the remedy is to ship you an alternate Esc. I think they have tried to help you by sending you servos but apparently that was not the issue, so now they want the truck to determine what actually the problem is. It's unfortunate to have to ship a new RC back to them but if you want to get it fixed I don't think you have much choice. Maybe they will refund you part of the shipping costs once they find out what's wrong. Why not just turn off TSM and just enjoy the truck. It's not really needed and you said it works perfect with it turned off.

  31. #71
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    1,199
    Have you thought about the servo saver? In a different thread you said this issue started after you replaced the stock servo when it went bad, then you had trouble installing the included spring. You had the screw pull out and added a nut to hold it together. Is it possible something might not be right? New servo works for a while then acts up. If it was a TSM issue it would be bad from the start, not after running for a while. If the servo saver doesn't protect the servo, they could be getting damaged and possible causing the issue you are having.

    I don't see how an ESC can control TSM. The receiver controls TSM. If you used an external BEC that would eliminate the possibility that it could even be the ESC all together. You would need to try this on a new servo in order for this test to be accurate. If the new servo acted up that would eliminated the ESC from causing the problem.

  32. #72
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    For the cost to ship an ESC versus an entire XMAXX, I cant imagine why they would not try the ESC first. At least, why dont they explain why sending an ESC to try is NOT sufficient? Heck, if it were me, I'd be happy to try a used ESC that they supply, if it would prove that it is the ESC at fault.

    Traxxas has been great to deal with on the couple of occasions that I have had a warranty claim, so this really baffles me.

    Also, is there any way to update an ESC to an earlier version of firmware? This might be worth trying also.

  33. #73
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by RCblast88 View Post
    Before you said it was without a doubt a bad servo, now you say the remedy is to ship you an alternate Esc. I think they have tried to help you by sending you servos but apparently that was not the issue, so now they want the truck to determine what actually the problem is.
    I noticed you are a new member; so Welcome.

    Not as far as your join date though, so something is curious about you only having three posts.

    There is nothing left on the truck to send them except for the ESC.

    The servo works with TSM off whether it is hooked up to a servo saver or not. The servo does not work with TSM on whether it is hooked up to a servo saver or not.

    We are not really going to go down the road of possibly insinuating that I don't know how to diagnose if there is steering binding issue or not are we?

    There is this deep gut feeling I get from your post that you are someone who has inside knowledge of what is going on with my truck because you say the exact same things as a support assistant would.

    But then again, it could just be my athletes foot acting up again!

    Furthermore, I will go back to my original statement that I did not get the truck as advertised with the TSM feature working.

    I have been going through this since March 11th and I have worked closely with support to resolve the issue.

    Ever since I gave support a link to one of my threads, I have only received cold shoulder remedies and a hard time.

    I have spoken nothing but the truth and given my fair; but harsh opinions to the way the events have unfolded to reach this point. Nothing more; nothing less.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Have you thought about the servo saver?
    The servo saver is working fine grizzly.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    In a different thread you said this issue started after you replaced the stock servo when it went bad, then you had trouble installing the included spring. You had the screw pull out and added a nut to hold it together. Is it possible something might not be right?
    I went through eBay and replaced those pieces so I could go back to the original configuration. In other words, that possible problem is no longer relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    New servo works for a while then acts up.
    Yes, but only after TSM is turned on not before.


    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If it was a TSM issue it would be bad from the start, not after running for a while. If the servo saver doesn't protect the servo, they could be getting damaged and possible causing the issue you are having.
    Agreed; however, we are not talking about an issue if the servo is getting damaged, we are talking about an issue where the servo works under one condition, but not another. Electronic; not mechanical. TSM on versus TSM off.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I don't see how an ESC can control TSM.
    I didn't say control it, I said it was possibly sending information that interferes/conflicts with TSM in the receiver.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The receiver controls TSM.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If you used an external BEC that would eliminate the possibility that it could even be the ESC all together. You would need to try this on a new servo in order for this test to be accurate. If the new servo acted up that would eliminated the ESC from causing the problem.
    I understand that as well. But the ESC is still plugged into the receiver no matter if you run an external power source for the servo or not.

    Since I have already done this experiment, the result was the same. Truck loses steering every couple of minutes with TSM on but works flawless with TSM off. No new servo to test to prove accuracy; but none the less; same results.

    So what am I left to believe, that the screws holding on the protective drive shaft cover have something to do with it? I'm just being silly to lighten the mood; but come on, if a person has eliminated every possibility but the ESC, is there some other electronic component that I don't know about on this truck that I haven't replaced or swapped out?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-07-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  34. #74
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    For the cost to ship an ESC versus an entire XMAXX, I cant imagine why they would not try the ESC first. At least, why dont they explain why sending an ESC to try is NOT sufficient?
    Finally, someone who sees the logic in how it would save time and money for both the business and customer!

    They haven't said no to my request yet, as far as sending/trying another ESC. If they do say no, I would be baffled beyond belief, considering the truck is just a month old. There is absolutely no sound reason for me to send the whole truck in when the problem doesn't go beyond an electronics problem.

    Hmmm.....the servo works with TSM off - the servo loses steering with TSM on. Is there some way I am not making that clear? I turn TSM back off and the steering returns and works normal. What does my servo saver do or have to do with it? Oh, he is getting ready to turn TSM on so I'll bind up and cause a problem; but if he turns it back off, I'll work normally.

    In other words, the servo saver has nothing to do with loss/disruption of an electronic/radio signal when TSM is turned on.

    Very Unlikely!

    Once the truck is in their hands, they could give any excuse as to why I lose steering when TSM is on, and I would have no way of knowing for sure what the exact cause was.

    For example, they could evaluate my servo saver and give an opinionated stance on how they believe it is set wrong, when I said from the get go that the whole design of it doesn't allow for it to be assembled to a personal preference status. It is designed to be put together one way and one way only.

    But all of that is irrelevant in comparison to an electronic/radio signal somehow being disrupted when TSM is turned on.

    If they send me an ESC and the issue goes away; then they would have no way of denying that was the issue. I understand they want to help, but I want to know through my own troubleshooting that it was nothing I did wrong to cause this, and if I am wrong, I at least have the integrity to admit it.

    As to your other question:

    No, there is no way for the end user to downgrade firmware in their ESC when that is controlled by the powers that be.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-08-2020 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Error!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  35. #75
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    If you send me your speed controller, I can install in my new XMAXX and reproduce your problem (Hopefully). Then show how putting my speed control back in solves the problem. I'd even video the whole process.

    That said, why not have them agree that if you purchase a new speed controller, install it and the problem disappears, they will reefund your money when you return the original speed controller? If it doesnt fix the problem, sell the new speed controller and get most of your $$ back.

    They must read this forum....I would think.
    Last edited by ben1272; 04-08-2020 at 10:12 AM.

  36. #76
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    If you send me your speed controller, I can install in my new XMAXX and reproduce your problem (Hopefully). Then show how putting my speed control back in solves the problem. I'd even video the whole process.

    That said, why not have them agree that if you purchase a new speed controller, install it and the problem disappears, they will reefund your money when you return the original speed controller? If it doesnt fix the problem, sell the new speed controller and get most of your $$ back.

    They must read this forum....I would think.

    Thank you, that is a very kind offer. Traxxas and I have come to an agreement today on me just sending back the ESC for evaluation instead of the whole truck.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  37. #77
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    316
    Awesome! Keep us posted. I strongly suspected they would come through in the end, but it would have been good if they did it sooner! XMAXX is still one of the most bad RC's of all time......in my humble opinion (and I'm just getting started with it!)

  38. #78
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Awesome! Keep us posted. I strongly suspected they would come through in the end, but it would have been good if they did it sooner! XMAXX is still one of the most bad RC's of all time......in my humble opinion (and I'm just getting started with it!)
    There was just a misunderstanding between Support and I as to whether the whole truck had to be sent in. There were a couple of different support tickets going at the same time for my truck and I was able to straighten it out and sent my ESC in today.

    Now the waiting game begins unless I get bored and decide to solder 6.5mm bullets on my 6S ESC and try it on my X-Maxx just to see how a Castle ESC performs in it.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  39. #79
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Van. Island British Columbia
    Posts
    1,057
    Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction and the turn around should be straight forward and fairly quick. Just for giggles I would try the CC esc while I was waiting lol why not, just watch the temps, and If you really wanted to go Castle there's always this.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...sc-010-0165-00

  40. #80
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Thank you, that is a very kind offer. Traxxas and I have come to an agreement today on me just sending back the ESC for evaluation instead of the whole truck.
    Excellent

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •