RC Racer

For The Kids/Spare Parts/Why Did You Do That? Build

So a guy was looking at a box of not yet broken plastic thingys and thought to himself... you are only a couple of parts away from another complete ankle smasher. Only the cheapest things really needed to be gotten, namely a motor to wheels connector, and some jump landing soaker uppers. Add in the fact there were some Slasher tires sitting there looking sad, the (wrong by most standards) decision was made to also get some t-rex like arms to match the wheels/tires. While waiting for stuff to arrive a guy made some minor adjustments to the chassis, namely strengthening it by removing some ribs from certain places. Turns out the battery sits further forward now, good enough. I finally finished her up the day before today. Thought I would share some still movies with ya before I turn it over to my eleventeen kids to fight over and step on. Enjoy!

Couple with the 49 and a quarter thousand year old body.

What it looks like when the bonnet blows away in the wind.

Better look see at where the battery sits forward.

And where the control boxy doohickey and the magic smoke containment box are at.

Next steps are to see how easily it barrel rolls while turning, test out the 17/83 gearing, and maybe attempt to modify the coilover thingamabobs. Stay tuned to see a guy try things.

Traxxas Marshal
    I haven't seen one of those shells in a minute! I remember when they had a huge blowout sale for them many years ago to clear out the inventory; I want to say they were $5 a piece!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I haven't seen one of those shells in a minute! I remember when they had a huge blowout sale for them many years ago to clear out the inventory; I want to say they were $5 a piece!
    While I am not a Mopar nut by any means, this lid has grown into a guy over the years. I want to say a feller got it during the early 2000 Jurassic period. If I run across another one, especially a clear one, I plan on snagging it.

Mini-Mite got taken out and beat on for a bit. At speed, grip rolls are executed by just ticklin' the steering. Perfect. After watching it roll down the strip for a couple hundred times, the decision was made to work on the ole front bump soaker-uppers. Using the fingertestometer, the stiffest springs got thrown on. There was also a bottle of 60 wet toast oil on the shelf, so that was tossed in too. After everything was thoroughly drowned with no bubbles anymore, it was all re-assembled and beat on again. Corner leaning pretty much gone, and grip roll reduced by 86.73%. Good enough.

Next, a guy is going to run a couple packs of electrical juice to the magic smoke box and see what happens. If the silver tire-twirler stays below the temperature of the sun, this thing might be declared safe enough for social distancing fun.

RC Racer
    Little update for everyone that's not watching. I took the shocks apart and added a limiter onto the shafts to shorten the shocks. Lowered them about 3/8", about what I was looking for. I have an Integy spring set and am running the black fronts, which are about 7 lbs/in, compared to the stock 4(?) lbs/in white Traxxas springs, and 60 wt oil. I wanted to really stiffen up the front to minimize the outer side dive I was getting while cornering. For the rear I am still using the stock springs and 30 wt oil. Stiffening up the front like that did a lot to get rid of rollovers. When I lowered the springs, it virtually eliminated rollovers. Remember, I went to a narrow setup, using the shorter Slash front arms, and 4wd Slash wheels all around. I have a wide Stampede already, and I thought a narrow and low setup would be interesting to try. So far, I have not been disappointed! In it's current state, I can go full throttle around turns and the rear wants to slide around, however due to the diff action, the inside wheel wants to spin. So, I am going to lock the diff and see if that makes things better. Thanks for reading, I will try to get new lowered pics.

RC Qualifier
    Shortening the shocks was a good move. Lower is better.
    With an independent rear you’ll always struggle with inside rear grip.
    I increased the rear shock oil weight which helped slow the body roll.
    7 lbs in the front springs is bold, but if it works for you...
    The narrow front end helps you turn. Stiff is good on flat surfaces.
    Let us know how the locked rear works out...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    7 lbs in the front springs is bold, but if it works for you...
    I figured why the **** not!?! I don't have a proper ramp to jump this thing off of, but I can jump the little drainage curb at the end of my driveway. It launches and lands flat and equal how it is set up now. I am pretty happy for bashing purposes! It might be different at a track, which this truck will never see. I am currently refreshing the shocks on my wide Pede, they needed it anyway. Sticking with 60 wt oil and using the next stiffest springs I have, 5.8 lbs. I will report back with results!