RC poster

Front Bearing Carrier Problems

Pretty new to this, just got a Slash VXL 2wd recently. I broke the one of the front bearing carriers, so I ordered RPM replacements. As I was reassembling everything, I noticed the axle wasn't spinning freely and felt really rough. I put everything back in the good stock carrier and it worked fine, but in the RPM carrier it was still rough. Is the problem with the bearings or is there something wrong with my carrier? Any help would be appreciated.

Traxxas Marshal
    Are you using any of the teflon washers?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Test each bearing
    Clean, lube reinstall
    fabricator

RC poster
    cooleocool - I have one between the outer bearing and the steel pin.

CrazyXMAXX - I'll do that, finally something that's not Solitaire or Netflix.

RC poster
    I replaced a set of mine and had the same issue. I read somewhere that the RPM carriers needed to be drilled out to stop them from rubbing on the inner part of the bearing. Opened up the hole in the center and they work fine now.

Do not recommend RPM carriers, they flex too much and cause problems. Stick with stock or aluminum.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Hi all,
    I am new to the Traxxas forum and starting over with R/C cars/trucks. I currently have a Stampeded and was wondering what the best gearing ratio is to run and the best battery. Can someone please help? Thanks

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    RPM carriers needed to be drilled out to stop them from rubbing on the inner part of the bearing.
    I'll try that. Looking at it now, the middle of the carrier is almost flush with the inner part of the bearing. Should've realized that sooner.

Greatscott- I'll remember that in the future. If shipping times weren't so bad right now I'd probably return the RPMs and get a couple sets of stock carriers.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-14-2020 at 12:41 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    I've had a couple of them that were a little rough. I had to lightly buff off the contact surfaces and they worked much better. Also, invest in some good bearings. Ceramics are expensive, but are smooth as glass and last forever.

RC Enthusiast
    So I replaced the rears carriers on our 2 Slashes with the RPM units and it was a direct fit, no rubbing or issues. Is the issues that are reported more of an occasional issue or are you guys saying all RPM carriers do this? Now I know this is discussing the fronts and mine are rears but has anyone heard of this issue with rears also? Since my rears worked out so well I would have gotten RPM for the fronts too when needed. But if the fronts are just a problem whereas the rears aren’t...
    can any of you more experienced guys chime in on that too?

RC poster
    I'm not the "experienced guy" you're looking for, but I have the rear set and didn't have any problems. It looks to me like the problem comes from the front RPM carriers having plastic covering the kingpin, and that extra plastic is what rubs the bearing. The stock carriers don't have the extra plastic, and the rear carriers are okay since there's no pin to cover.