RC poster

Stampede Gearing

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the Traxxas forum and I am just getting back into R/C. I have a Stampede which I had running about 2 years ago and the spur gear stripped out. I am currently trying to find out what the best gearing is for this truck and which battery would work best. Thanks in advance for any and all help

RC poster
    if this helps the stock gearing is a 16T pinion and a 90T spur, that gearing is good for off road, if you want to go faster you can do a 21T pinion and a 90T spur, but that is only for on road. The 2-cell 5000mAh LiPo battery is great for longer run times and faster speeds but might make the motor and ESC heat up. If you want to start a little slower the 7-cell 3000mAh NiMh hump battery is good, about a 15-20 min' run time. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by TRAXXgeek; 03-29-2020 at 11:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    16/90 or 19/90 or 16/86 are all pretty safe.
    If you blew you spur quickly 2 years ago, it was most likely not meshed right.
    If your spur slowly wore out until you eventually blew it out, and then parked it 2 years ago,
    then most likely you need a new pinion gear too. Reset the gear mesh properly!

Is your model brushed or brushless?
    Is your model 3s capable?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    16/90 or 19/90 or 16/86 are all pretty safe.
    If you blew you spur quickly 2 years ago, it was most likely not meshed right.
    If your spur slowly wore out until you eventually blew it out, and then parked it 2 years ago,
    then most likely you need a new pinion gear too. Reset the gear mesh properly!

Is your model brushed or brushless?
    Is your model 3s capable?
    I have the original stock brushed motor. I also took it apart yesterday and it is not the spur gear it is something inside the gearbox. I intend on taking it apart today. do you have any thoughts on what this could be? It is almost like it is grinding. Thank you

RC Racer
    Depending on how old it is, possibly the idler gear. If you have a plastic idler gear that has stripped, you can easily upgrade to a steel one. That would be my first guess.