RC Enthusiast

Question Making a 4x4 3s proof!!

I love running on 3s but have been quick to realize that it falls apart after a couple runs. bearing on my clutch decides do tear itself apart after one session. and pinion gear slips off every 20 mins or so. anything helps!

The pinion gear should not be slipping off of the motor shaft. Make sure to use thread-locker on the grub screw and get it on there tight. Also, make sure to let the thread-locker dry, for up to 24 hours if possible, before you use your car. The thread-locker is almost useless until it dries, so if you are using your car soon after putting it on, the thread-locker is basically doing nothing.

How do you have your slipper-clutch adjusted? Do you really hear it whine quite often? The slipper generates heat (via friction) whenever it slips and that can shorten the life of your bearing and even melt the stock plastic motor mount if it gets hot enough. Maybe try to tighten your slipper a bit, so it slips less.

RC Qualifier
    Get a new pinion screw and clean it and the motor shaft with brake cleaner. I also use Robinson Racing Torx screws.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gazbasher View Post
    I love running on 3s but have been quick to realize that it falls apart after a couple runs. bearing on my clutch decides do tear itself apart after one session. and pinion gear slips off every 20 mins or so. anything helps!
    Could you please tell us what you have already done to your truck? It will help tremendously with our answers.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    You probably know, but make sure the set screw is on the flat of the motor shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    ahhh that explains a lot with that center bearing. I took pressure off my clutch to take stress off that pinion gear screw. idk I was desperate XD

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Could you please tell us what you have already done to your truck? It will help tremendously with our answers.

Pretty standard build I guess all you guys need to know is it now has a metal 53 tooth spur gear. stock pinion gear. stock diffs stock clutch other than that anodized aluminum piece that the bearing we were discussing sits on.

I actually just learned this recently hahah didn't fit my problem but was a funny discovery haha.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-14-2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: merge

Some thoughts for a durable 3s basher:
    Aluminum motor mount(I use a King Headz)
    Aluminum slipper adapter(sounds like you have that)
    Upgrade axle shafts(I use MIP X-duty)
    Revo slipper
    XO-1 diffs(if you tear up the stock ones)
    17mm wheel adapters(if you tear up the 12mm..I use HR adapters)

Motor and esc fans if you have temp issues(likely) or upgraded esc/motor

A GOOD set of hex drivers(Will help with the loose pinion issue...I use MIP)

I have all those upgrades and 1/8th scale power on 3s........been a while since I've broken anything not caused by a crash.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone know the part numbers to upgrade to the xo-1 diff parts? Like the gears and the diff cup is the full upgrade right?

RC Qualifier

GTr

I have actually changed back to using new Traxxas plastic diff cups each time I service the diff. This shows the spiral cut ring and pinion gears from Traxxas I very much enjoy.

In order of importance, IMHO. Base is any VXL 4x4 Traxxas with common must have fixes already completed, like slipper bearing adapter replacement. Remember parts wear out and need to be checked and serviced after hard running, this is nothing new.

1, RR GEN3 Slipper, itís heavy so gear way down 11t or less. Unless you get the motor ESC upgrade
    2, Traxxas part 6882x and 3978. Rebuild the diffs with these two kits.
    3, KingHeadz Motor mount.
    4, MIP Heavy Duty front and rear drive axles or Traxxas CVDs. I run a full set of each on my two Slash 4x4. MIP are heavy but more durable. Traxxas CVDs are light weight and cheaper for rebuild kits and easier but are weak at the pin runs through the axel at the wheel, still very durable for 3S.
    4, Castle motor and ESC. IMHO the 1512-2650kv and the Mamba Monster X is about as good as it gets for a basher. This has the speed and torque idle with 3s. Iíve also run the 1515-2200kv in my sons LCG and it does excellent on 3s but better for 4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash Ultimate 4x4, MMX-2200kv/Slash 4x4, MMX-2650

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlasherBash View Post
    Does anyone know the part numbers to upgrade to the xo-1 diff parts? Like the gears and the diff cup is the full upgrade right?
    6882 and 3978. I always have spares of each on hand.

Down the road the ring and pinion gears will wear down and need replaced.

Or you could just upgrade because they are so much better and quieter, less vibration and part wear n tear. The rear is a different part number.

Traxxas Ring gear, differential/ pinion gear, differential (machined, spiral cut) (front) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M8WRJG..._nqUGEb9R4WWXF

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    6882 and 3978. I always have spares of each on hand.

Down the road the ring and pinion gears will wear down and need replaced.

Or you could just upgrade because they are so much better and quieter, less vibration and part wear n tear. The rear is a different part number.

Traxxas Ring gear, differential/ pinion gear, differential (machined, spiral cut) (front) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M8WRJG..._nqUGEb9R4WWXF

very helpful thank you! if anyone knows the part number for the rear set contact me. having trouble finding the rear set

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazbasher View Post
    very helpful thank you! if anyone knows the part number for the rear set contact me. having trouble finding the rear set
    The only difference between the front and rear is the pinion. If you are rebuilding the diffs then you just reuse the ring gear.