RC Competitor

Question How do you like your Teton? I'm thing of getting 1 (or 2).

I keep checking them out & thinking they look like fun but I haven't pulled the trigger in getting one. I have 2 Rustlers & a 4x4 one on the way but my kid saw me watching the video of the little T and now she wants one. I keep thinking well if I get her 1 I might as well get me one to right.... Just wondering what you guys thing of them? I know it's no speed demon out of the box but I don't really want that in this. I just wanted something fun, reliable, and something I don't have to worry about it breaking. I've watched a few YT video's and see people at the skate part bashing on them & they break but I didn't really think it the T's fault, more of the drivers fault for launching this little guy off a half pipe at full speed 20+ feet into the air and it slams down over & over. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks ahead of time.

RC poster
    I've had mine for a few weeks and probably have 12 runs on it. Its quite capable out of the box and fairly resilient. The servo broke somewhere around run 4 with the common gear strip issue. I elected to buy the metal gear kit for it rather than submit a warranty claim. Since then no more issues. I do launch it off small skateboard ramps from time to time and have taken it into the woods with my kids and their larger rc trucks.

The stock shock oil and shock position is not great and causes the truck to be twitchy at speed. Ive 3d printed some spring spacers and played with oil weight, settling on much heavier oil in the back and a little heavier oil in the front. There is some adjustability in the suspension too but not much, so some turnbuckles are needed to finish adjusting the truck to your driving style. Some of this may be me being nitpicky....

The included charger is not great so I suggest buying a cable so you can use whatever you charge with already. Run times with a proper charge approach 20 minutes on the included 1200mah battery (the way I drive it).

I broke in my motor properly and it shows no signs of impending failure. I clean the truck at the end of the day and maintain it per the user manual that you can download from the latrax website, the included manual is just a guide.

It does about 20mph flat out which is about right. I dont think the chassis will handle much more and still maintain good overall drivability and durability but YMMV.

I would buy one. Its cheap fun outdoors with your kids.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply, I kept reading about people burning motors out in like 4 or 5 runs or something like that & if that's the case I don't wont one. Just looking to run it on the street with the kids. Something that's fun & not to fast or anything we're taking to the skate park.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SweetV6 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I kept reading about people burning motors out in like 4 or 5 runs or something like that & if that's the case I don't wont one. Just looking to run it on the street with the kids. Something that's fun & not to fast or anything we're taking to the skate park.
    I actually have two. One pretty much stock and the other is highly modified with everything imaginable, fun build. Stock engine always ran fine but I didnít run a Lipo. Will need to upgrade servo but thatís easy.
    Fred Boylstein
    79 Goldwing
    VMAX

RC poster
    They are great, motors and servo are the weak points. RPM makes arms now and I ordered TBone racing bumpers. Keeps the car strong. As long as it’s not treated like a 1/10 being about half the size it is a great truck.

RC Enthusiast
    I got two for my daughter and I a few days ago and love them. She is 4 and basically just holds that trigger the whole time and so far it's held up. Has probably six or seven full runs on it. Direct curb hit at the park, numerous barrel rolls and cart wheels, roof landings off jumps, couple inch deep puddles. Hers has taken quite a pounding already and has held up. She mud bogged it pretty hard and I thought that was gonna be it for it, but it survived. My son ran mine full speed into a garbage can and broke the a control arm on day one though. Aluminum set is scheduled to be here on Saturday.

I'll be surprised if the motor lasts long from what I've read about them, so I might pick up a few spares just in case.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

RC poster
    got one for my niece and nephew who were 3 at the time. the field we drive em in can have some fairly high spots of grass and burnt out the stock servo's fairly fast. to be fair it burnt out the stock servo on a brand new brushess mini erevo in 2 days. they have been beat on pretty good and held up. I only let them play with them on training mode, but one time my dad decided to let them play with them and didn't set it to training mode, didnt take them outside the gate to the field next door and my niece went full speed into a chair leg at just the right angle and it basically fried the car. motor didnt work right anymore, ESC didnt work right anymore, plastic teeth were missing from her servo (before I upgraded them both to metal teeth servo's) she was heart broken, my parents were all upset, my sister was all upset. parents felt bad they just let her break my 120 dollar toy, sister was upset that I spent that much on an RC car for her that she could break. I laughed and said give me a few weeks. called the help line, they replaced the motor and the ESC, told them not to worry about the servo I was getting a metal gear one.

they are still running great and its been months now. they do get hung up on some of the deeper grass though. that's how we decide its time to mow the lawn.

RC poster
    I’ve had mine going on 4 years. Everything is stock. Until now (7/15/20). They used to have a molex connector. When I finally went to replace the battery, they no longer made that particular battery. So I went and changed the motor to a brushless type. Went to a cheap 2s lipo and ended up stripping the spur gear. I already new it would. Had a ton of fun running around the weekend. When it stopped moving, I checked the spur gear first. Bingo. So I ordered a metal 60t gear from Yeah Racing, and I ordered two all metal difs (front/rear).
    The old motor still works perfectly and the difs didn’t need to be changed but I figured why not since I have it all torn apart. I’m doing the right now as I write this. I should have taken pictures before I started this. Lol

RC poster
    Late to the party, but I just arrived on the forum looking for help, which I found.

We (my 8 year old and I) are really enjoying the Teton. Wish it was named something else, since I'm from Quebec and fluent in French, so I know exactly what it means.

Apart from that, the 1/2 speed training mode has been helpful for developing steering reflexes, and full speed runs are a hoot. As pointed out already, it's no speed demon, but at 30kph it moves almost as fast as regular passenger vehicles on our residential street.

In terms of toughness, no parts have broken, but I have replaced the motor twice (OEM, cheap and cheerful) and the servo once (Savox metal gear). The motors died because we run it in the worst possible conditions - sandy, dusty roads, on baseball diamonds that have that kitty-litter sized grit, in the rain and snow, at the salt water beach.

My biggest peeve is the sloppy steering. It's hard to run at full speed when you don't know which way it will be pointed when you return steering to neutral. That's why I joined the forum, for advice on said slop. I had previously seen the Hot Racing aluminum bellcrank, but wasn't convinced. I found mention made of an Integy bellcrank, and that looked like a much better option. Hopefully it arrives before the snow falls!

RC Enthusiast
    So I've been running the heck out of mine and done of bunch of upgrades. The only things I've broken are a control arm, motor mount, and axle. People complain about breaking parta all the time but I agree that it's more user error. Right now I'm running a brushless 2838 motor, 16t pinion, 54t spur, and on 3s it's pretty nuts. The wheelie bar barely helps. Anywhere near full throttle lifts the front hard, at any speed. Backflips all day without the bar. We also run at a local skatepark, and if you're reasonable, it's fine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk