Thread: Best springs?

RC poster

Best springs?

Iíve got big bore shocks, and the springs just seem too soft. What springs are all of you using? Iím

RC Qualifier
    If you mean the GTR shocks these are well regarded...

https://www.vgracing.com/product/GTR_Springs.html

The erevo variable dampening piston kit also fits the GTRs.

RC Competitor
    I haven't change my springs yet but I did change out the oil in the stock shocks. I only had 50 weight on hand so used that & it made a nice difference. I want the GTR's but they are pricy so I'm waiting on them right now.

RC poster
    I hope this isn't off topic but, Would the Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shocks fit on the rustler 4x4 (with the GTR springs you mentioned) with out modification or needing different bolts?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakarot View Post
    I hope this isn't off topic but, Would the Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shocks fit on the rustler 4x4 (with the GTR springs you mentioned) with out modification or needing different bolts?
    Traxxas has LOTS of GTR shocks (to fit a variety of models). Think of it as a Traxxas brand-within-the-brand.
    So... if you get the CORRECT Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shocks, then yes, they will bolt up without modification or needing different bolts.
    The Rustler 4x4 shares suspension parts (and some other bits) with the Slash 4x4, so the higher end models of the Slash are convenient places to source upgrades from some of the RC Chop Shops that are out there. I was able to pick up a set of GTR shocks that had originally came from the Slash 4x4 Ultimate model on Flea-Bay for a good price... they even came with springs, but I eventually put on the VGracing springs. JennysRC is one such chop-shop, and there are others on Flea-Bay and other places where ya buy stuff.
    Good Luck, and have fun! --BillJ

RC Racer
    Yeah...GTR Shocks and VGRacing springs are the combo I prefer, and like Single_Trac, I went auction site as well. Chop shops are good for some things. I got all of the aluminum caster/hub carriers for 50 bucks from a Slash Ultimate instead of 100+ retail.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Traxxas has LOTS of GTR shocks (to fit a variety of models). Think of it as a Traxxas brand-within-the-brand.
    So... if you get the CORRECT Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shocks, then yes, they will bolt up without modification or needing different bolts.
    So I probably should have asked this first but I bought I some GTR shocks but how do I know if I got the CORRECT ones? Wait until they show up and find out?

RC Racer
    So I probably should have asked this first but I bought I some GTR shocks but how do I know if I got the CORRECT ones? Wait until they show up and find out?
    Well... Yea...that is going to be the most definitive method.

You could also look at the place where you ordered them from to see if they are listed as being for the Rustler 4x4/Slash 4x4. Since this is one of the more popular platforms for Traxxas, there is a decent chance that you ordered the right ones. If you share a link to what you purchased and from where we might be able to say if it looks like you got the right ones or not, but you'll know for sure if they seem to be the same length as the UltraShocks that are on the vehicle now. Traxxas calls the ones on the front "Long" and the ones on the rear are "XX-Long".

Looking at the Rustler 4x4 VXL parts page (https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...76-4_parts.pdf), the GTR shocks for the front of the Rustler 4x4 are 7461, rear 7462. The different colors can have additional suffexes to those PNs, so don't freak if you see a 'G' or an 'X' at the end of the PN.

--BillJ

RC poster
    I got the Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shocks Blue, 5460A from RCHobbyexplosion, these seem to be incorrect since they aren't the 7461 or 7462. My manual that came with my rustler 4x4 didn't have part numbers next to the shocks in the exploded view so I was unsure. I am noob at this for sure. Also I got aluminum caps but they fit ultra shocks which I am now going to assume are different, darn I should have done way more research.
    Last edited by Kakarot; 04-20-2020 at 06:53 PM.

RC Racer
    Sorry to hear that Kakarot. Hopefully it's easy enough to to return 'em for the correct shocks.
    5460A look like they fit the eRevo/Slayer/Jato/XO-1 (https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5460A), so if you think that you'll find yourself wanting one of those sometime down-the-line, you could have some shock upgrades at the ready. ;-) I do dig my Rustler 4x4, but it pretty quickly lead to me wanting an eRevo too.

We have all ordered the wrong thing at one time or another... and it's better to do it with RC Car Parts instead of much pricier Real Car Parts :-) . Also, in the future (once the Covid-19 social distancing stuff is over), this is the kind of thing (good advice/knowledge of what fits) that one's Local Hobby Shop can really help with. Hopefully you have one that really is Local.

Best of Luck, and make sure to keep having fun! --BillJ

RC poster
    I prefer, VGRacing springs.

RC poster
    I went with VGRacing springs in green to wrap blue shocks.

RC poster
    I recently upgraded to GTR shocks along with the black stripe springs. I havenít had a chance to try them yet but they seem VERY soft throughout the entire travel range they donít even feel progressive. I also got VG Racing springs and thereís a massive difference. The spring is a lot thicker and I like their progression. They are exactly what I was hoping for something soft and firm simultaneously. But obviously I need to actually try them to draw any conclusions, but Iím optimistic.

RC poster
    Does anyone know what the difference between the ultra shocks and the GTR shocks would be? I wanted to get green aluminum shock caps for some blue shocks but the caps say they only fit ultra shocks. So I am assuming those green caps would not fit the GTR shocks. Any help or advice would be great.

RC Racer
    Does anyone know what the difference between the ultra shocks and the GTR shocks would be? I wanted to get green aluminum shock caps for some blue shocks but the caps say they only fit ultra shocks. So I am assuming those green caps would not fit the GTR shocks. Any help or advice would be great.
    Correct, since the diameter of the shocks are different between the Ultra and GTR shocks, the caps for the Ultra Shocks will NOT fit the GTR shocks.
    If you are going for a specific look (color combination of shock body/cap/spring) above performance, then use whatever shocks you can get in the colors that you want.
    If you are wanting better functionality (with the 'look' taking a back-seat), go with the GTR shocks. The GTR shock bodies seem to be available in blue (7461/7462), green (7461G/7462G) or black (7461X/7462X), but all seem to have black caps and preload collars. Traxxas GTR springs all seem to be white. VGRacing sells springs for the GTR shocks in black/blue/green/red (https://www.vgracing.com/product/GTR_Springs.html).
    There are other sellers of shocks out there that might (or might not) have a better color selection, but I don't have any experience with them, sorry. I've got GTR shocks and VG springs on my Rustler 4x4 (black/black if ya care, and the boy has black/red on his).
    Your vehicle, your choices.
    Best of Luck, and be sure to have fun! --BillJ

RC poster
    What is the stiffness of the vgracing springs. I've got the whit springs with the black strip and they just dont seem stiff enough. Are the vg ones harder and also, and also does the different color mean anything or is the color just for looks?

RC Racer
    The springs that came on my GTR shocks from the chop-shop (from the Slash 4x4 ultimate) were white with the black stripe.
    When I got the VG Racing springs, they were stiffer. The color of the VG Racing spring does not seem to indicate a different spring rate (the color seems to be just for looks).

Traxxas has a chart somewhere that lists the spring rates of the different colors of GTR-long and GTR-XX-long springs, but I'm not having any luck finding it right this second.
    VGRacing does not seem to list a rate for it's GTR springs, but I can say from experience that they are stiffer than the black-stripe Traxxas GTR springs.

Good Luck --BillJ

RC Racer
    The VGRacing springs are progressive. No set rates like the Traxxas ones. Been using them for weeks, and love them on my GTR shocks.