RC poster

Jato is Back, but won't start! HELP.

Hey guys,

It has been so long! I've had my Jato in storage for at least 8 years. With this COVID19 lockdown I decided to to try and restore it.

The engine was obviously seized up, but I managed to free it and it actually started yesterday.But I wanted to clean everything first so I immediately shut it down.

With everything cleaned up and ready, I tried to start it today with the ez start but it won't do it.

https://youtu.be/YAdZqWMwp0U

Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Saleh

When you went thru the truck did you take the engine apart? If it was seized then the bearings may still be gummed up a little. You could take the engine apart down the block and try to clean the bearings, but you might need a new engine.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC poster
    Which bearings are you talking about?

I didn’t take it apart, I put some general use oil in the cylinder, kept it there for a few hours, then heated the engine with a torch, it freed up. I tried running it after and it started.

However, when I tried today, it wouldn’t start no matter what. I cleaned the fuel tank, fuel lines, put a new filter and glow plug. I looked at the OWB and it looks fine to me, but not so sure tbh.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately its most likely the crank bearings. The inside bearing is a non sealed bearing and when an engine gets gummed up that bearing is a pain to clean out. The front bearing maybe ok. If you tear the engine down to just the crank and bearings you can spin the crank and see how free it is. My guess is the inside bearing though.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

After sitting that long, unpickled, I would have taken the engine completely apart and cleaned it out with DA/fuel and put a liberal amount of ARO on things before trying to fire it up, including taking the carb completely apart and cleaning/lubing all of it as well. After 9 years, odds are the o-rings are dried up/shrunk and aren't sealing well either.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    I agree with Olds. Also I would buy all new fuel lines. And I would spin the fly wheel to make sure then piston isn’t hung up in the head.

RC poster
    Update!

After extensive cleaning and lubrication, it started again and ran for a full tank! No issues with the engine at all (at low speeds).

However, brakes and servos aren’t working as they should, they’re jittery, especially the steering servo.

It’s been fun actually to try and run it again..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleh Harakati View Post
    Update!

After extensive cleaning and lubrication, it started again and ran for a full tank! No issues with the engine at all (at low speeds).

However, brakes and servos aren’t working as they should, they’re jittery, especially the steering servo.

It’s been fun actually to try and run it again..
    I would try to recenter your servos. Disconnect them and then turn on the power to your Transmitter & vehicle, make sure your Transmitter dials are zero out. Reset your servos and fasten them.

Also I would make sure your batteries are well charge. See if that helps.

Good luck.