Thread: Hey Traxxas!!!

RC Racer

Hey Traxxas!!!

Does anyone else think Traxxas should/will come out with a new updated slash that will be more race oriented? Even with every upgrade imaginable it still cant keep up with todays short course trucks. I have to drive my butt off to keep losi and team associated trucks behind me on the track. And dont get me wrong, I love my slash. I own both a slash and a sc5m. But the sc5m is just waaaaay easier to hit the fast laps with.. I hope Traxxas has something in the works because as newer trucks hit the market the slash gets slower and slower and slower.

Edited for bypassing the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-14-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Nope. I believe they will not.

Why?

Because it makes money now and those making those "faster" race RCs never stay profitable indefinitely but Traxxas does.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-03-2020 at 10:36 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I was just wondering the same thing. I bought my kids matching 2wd Slashes for $190 ea. We are enjoying them. Just couldn’t afford the additional $100+ for 4wd and they need to learn on the 2wd anyways to build better skills. Now I knew going in the Slash isn’t no race bred truck. But couldn’t afford a Losi or Associated kit for way more and then W/O electronics and wheels/tires. My gosh these are roll over machines! (Yes I am getting the LCG chassis for them)
    Now a few months later I am seeing, shoot can’t remember which but either Losi or Associated now has an RTR that is actually 4wd and for just over $200!!! Saw it in an Amain YT vid. I about crapped. Yes Traxxas Slashes are beasts and sturdy ans worth every penny. But to make the competitive on the track takes some good coin and skill. Both of which I hope to build. At least one of these Slashes is getting modded for the track.
    Now I see the Slash Ultimate 4x4. It appears to have most mods but for big bucks. I wonder if this vehicle with all the handling “upgrades” can step up to the race level of a TLR and TA at a similar price point??? Is the Ultimate now a race capable Slash or just a really expensive Slash? Is all that effort by Traxxas to answer the handling complaints that have rolled in since 2009 just to make it a batter Basher? Or an actual stab at success on the track?

Really just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by JimmyJFlyer; 05-01-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Nope. I believe they will not.

Why?

Because it makes money now and those making those "faster" race RCs never stay profitable indefinitely but Traxxas does.
    There was a day when Traxxas was as steady as the northern star, and you definitively say that they would not come out with something that would break their mold. Then Traxxas started getting crazy with themselves, and came out with the TRX4, then they one-upped themselves with a kit version, then went completely insane with the TRX6. Of course, this wasn't Traxxas' first attempt at a truck like this, but the Telluride flopped like a fresh road apple. Luckily completely nailed their second attempt.

With that, based on the mods they have come out with lately, it doesn't look like they are wanting to deviate from their successful formula. Slashes are big, heavy, tank-like machines that are made to take abuse, but still have a decent amount of upgrade ability. The one thing they have never been made to do is to go head-to-head with a race-bred RC on the track. Now, I have made a race-worthy Slash that could dominate at a local level, and there is nothing so satisfying as the look on the Ofna/Losi/AE snobs when they found out they just got beat by a Slash. But, that effort was to just see if I could do it, and it cost at least three times the money and time to get the Slash in that condition.

To sum up, no, I do not expect Traxxas will come out with a race-bred version of the Slash.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Slash = bash. They used to be more competitive, but once the “race companies” got into the class, the story changed. I’d venture a guess that finding a carbon conversion kit could help. I’d get one myself, but most are out of production, or difficult to find parts for.

RC Racer
    I think traxxas is going to be forced to make an updated short course truck. They've used the same platform for over a decade now. They at least need to work on fixing all the slop issues. I think it would be cool if they came out with a mid motor chassis too.

Quote Originally Posted by Username for me View Post
    I think traxxas is going to be forced to make an updated short course truck. They've used the same platform for over a decade now. They at least need to work on fixing all the slop issues. I think it would be cool if they came out with a mid motor chassis too.
    You'd think, but they have a durable formula that works, and more importantly, sells. They have updated materials, internals, and made little design tweaks over the years, but there are parts on this truck that were designed 20 years ago. That Magnum 272 transmission has not really changed, other than to add bearings and get updated to more durable material. This is also one of the things that people like, you can take that 15 year old 'Pede, Rustler, or Bandit and rebuild it with new parts; there are not many RCs that you can say that about.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

As Greatscott stated, parts are interchangeable between many models, which may not please the hardcore racer, but to the rest of the world, fabulous. Tons of aftermarket because of this. More weekend warriors buying trucks than hardcore racers, (world economy) they are capitalizing on that market. You can get replacement/hop up parts at basically every hobby shop and other stores. Need TLR, too bad. Look at one of the brands that produce SCTs and SCBs, race rigs. How many model variations do you see throughout the years? X.1, X.2, X.3 Y.1 ..... That is not cheap to retool the world, so vehicle costs are higher as well to get the ROI. You buy one, the dang, the mid engine version comes out...... gotta have that one now. Different business model, right? Beauty of it all, is when you hand it to them with your Slash, there is no arguing that YOU can drive and a basher race truck can get the job done. Honestly, I was surprised when the UDR and TRX4 models came out, both of which are the measuring stick for their classes. All this said, watch them have a new one at the big show in Europe where the TRX4 and UDR were introduced (can't think of the name for the life of me).

RC Enthusiast
    There has been one thing in common I see most when folks talked about their RC experience... The Slash was their FIRST rc truck. And that's still the case today.

That about sums it up. If it ain't broke...

Probably why my LHS owner put 2 Slashes in my hands when I told him I needed 2 trucks for my kids to get their start. He could have gotten triple that selling me the other brands but instead made a lower cash sale giving me what HE trusted.