RC Competitor

Question Traxxas Steel Axle Replacement

I have an E-Maxx with the TRA5451R steel axles. Today one popped out of the cup on the front diff and sheared half the pin off. I tried to punch out the pin to replace it with a drillbit or something but I can't get it out. This leads me to believe I need to replace the whole shaft. However I cannot find the part number for this, only the numbers for the center driveshafts. Can anyone help me out with a part number or an exploded view or something?

UPDATE: I believe I need TRA5154 but can anyone confim this or offer another solution to fixing my current one before I order it?

Last edited by epeder1102; 04-04-2020 at 03:14 PM.

I couldn't find a TRA5154 part number. What's it's length? I think you need a 112mm TRA 5188 shafts. I usually do one of two things (when I need shafts); I get either the TRA5188 or a full set of TRA 5451R's and have spares. Traxxas has them for 80 bucks, but I've gotten my 5451's for as cheap as 40 bucks on Amazon. Before buying the TRA 5188's, though, I'd give Traxxas a call, because it's been a while since I've needed to order any shafts and I'm not 100% sure of the 112mm spec for an Emaxx.

P.S. I did finally find the TRA5154 part number under the Tmaxx part list, and they are a 128mm shaft. I'll take a look at mine (when I get a chance) to see if mine are 112mm or 128mm.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-05-2020 at 03:44 AM.
    Die a man, than live like a Traxxas unmentionable.

RC Competitor
    Thanks a lot for the input. I measured my axles to be 128mm but was having a hard time finding the length spec for the TRA5154 shaft. But, I did find it on RC Planet and ordered it. I am pretty disappointed that that pin isn't removable though...seems like a waste to replace the entire axle. Hopefully with some extended cups on the diff, this won't happen again.

You can remove them, but it's not worth your time or trouble. The way they put those pins in is by freezing the pin in liquid nitrogen, and then slipping them into place into a warm shaft. To get them out again you'd have to re-freeze the pin while keeping the shaft warm, and you'd need special equipment for that.

For the money, it's best just to cough up a couple of bucks and replace the whole part. Also, you wouldn't want that pin to be removable anyway, because it would keep coming out every time you turned around. Pressure fitting that pin is definitely the best way to go. Personally, I've never had one of mine back out on me, but I have had several break over the years. I guess I've been pretty lucky in that regard...knock on wood.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-06-2020 at 03:24 AM.

RC Champion
    I opened my vise just enough for the pin to rest in and then I tapped it out with no problem,I used a long skinny punch and mine popped right out with a couple of taps. The part that is in the middle was checkered like a grip to keep it in place.
    I then used a drill bit shank slightly larger cut to length and tapped it in and it's still in place app. 3 yrs later with no issues.
    I purchased the TRA5154 and it's been in the package since I bought it until this morning when I cut it out to take this picture for you.
    In the pic you will notice the overall length is 137mm which works out to 128mm pin to pin. I hope this helps.
    Adding extened cups on the rear is a must for the Emaxx and it won't pop out again or at least mine haven't.
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 04-06-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Add

RC Competitor
    RegularGuy, that's interesting, I figured maybe it was just a press fit with a tight tolerance, but it sounds like its even tighter than that.

That's odd that yours came out so easy Rain Dawg, I had mine in a vice for the better part of 30 mins going at it with a punch and couldn't get it to budge. I was hoping to replace it with a drillbit but failed to get it out. I've got the extended cups on the way, however the odd thing is this happened on the front axle...although right after I upgraded to Ofna shocks which probably explains the incident with the longer travel.

Thanks for both of your inputs I believe the 5154 is the correct part and it's on the way!

RC Champion
    Just as a heads up, when I tried the extended cups on the front it caused the axles to bind when turning and they would lock up.
    I think your right on getting to much travel with the Ofna shocks.

Like I said it's checkered in the middle of the shaft and it should come out fairly easy or at least mine did and when mine broke it was less then a month old.
    Did you try tapping on it from either direction just incase it has a one way application (not even sure that's feasable).
    You could try and compress something slightly smaller into the broken part with your vise with the extened pin part just above the vise teeth. Where there's a will there's a way lol.

Quote Originally Posted by epeder1102 View Post
    RegularGuy, that's interesting, I figured maybe it was just a press fit with a tight tolerance, but it sounds like its even tighter than that.

That's odd that yours came out so easy Rain Dawg, I had mine in a vice for the better part of 30 mins going at it with a punch and couldn't get it to budge. I was hoping to replace it with a drillbit but failed to get it out. I've got the extended cups on the way, however the odd thing is this happened on the front axle...although right after I upgraded to Ofna shocks which probably explains the incident with the longer travel.

Thanks for both of your inputs I believe the 5154 is the correct part and it's on the way!
    I know some allow the use of a pin press tool to replace the pins. Mugen sells the tool and has a couple sizes of pins.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-s...gb0541/p221425

Not sure it's worth the $50 for the tool unless you plan on doing it a lot.

This comes up with quite a few pins by mugen:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...80&s=mugen+pin

Would need to measure yours with a micrometer to see what size you have.

Can also use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08.../dp/B001KOPFIW

That was the one used in this how-to:
    http://site.petitrc.com/Tech/RCCAR_ReplaceCVDPins/
    Expert rigging at it's best!

I have extended cups on my truck, because I have my suspension set high. If your shocks makes your suspension set high, you won't have any trouble. If your suspension is set to the stock height you don't really need them.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-09-2020 at 03:38 AM.