RC poster

Question Spartan upgrades.

Hello...I'm thinking of buying a spartan. But I have heard of the esc frying and solder point melting. I want to go 6s for the speed i see eon videos. Can someone tell me exactly what i need to buy to run 6s and not worry about frying anything. I'm not trying to go crazy I just want to hit at least 50mph. Thanks.

RC Champion
    You have to search the threads from ReglarGuy in the Spartan section he has alot of really good mods to help with whatever your trying to do. I'm running stock except for the home made esc water cooler and the dual intake rudder and were 48 to 52 mph on 6s on any given day depending on weather and water conditions.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...62-ESC-coolers

RC poster

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    You have to search the threads from ReglarGuy in the Spartan section he has alot of really good mods to help with whatever your trying to do. I'm running stock except for the home made esc water cooler and the dual intake rudder and were 48 to 52 mph on 6s on any given day depending on weather and water conditions.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...62-ESC-coolers

Thank you for replying. I have heard about the water cooler and duel intake rudder. I will also eventually get that also. I'm just cautious about buying the boat that comes with the 6s lipo for $599 and burning it out. I'll check the thread tou mentioned . Thanks again.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesabell1 View Post
    Thank you for replying. I have heard about the water cooler and duel intake rudder. I will also eventually get that also. I'm just cautious about buying the boat that comes with the 6s lipo for $599 and burning it out. I'll check the thread tou mentioned . Thanks again.
    The boat runs fine on stock 6s as long as you don't pin the throttle continuously like back and forth and so on. If you make a couple of passes and then just cruise by making sure water is always coming out of the discharge port and let it cool down it will be fine.
    It's also a good idea to get the BT Module and the app with the rpm sensor, temp sensor and voltage to monitor the motor heat and the battery drain. Set your motor temp at 150 and your 6s battery at 21.6 so you don't come close to overheating and when the low voltage kicks on at 21.6 it gives you plenty of time to bring it back without it dying off shore. Buy it and have some fun.

RC poster

This url is the boat I'm thinking of getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    The boat runs fine on stock 6s as long as you don't pin the throttle continuously like back and forth and so on. If you make a couple of passes and then just cruise by making sure water is always coming out of the discharge port and let it cool down it will be fine.
    It's also a good idea to get the BT Module and the app with the rpm sensor, temp sensor and voltage to monitor the motor heat and the battery drain. Set your motor temp at 150 and your 6s battery at 21.6 so you don't come close to overheating and when the low voltage kicks on at 21.6 it gives you plenty of time to bring it back without it dying off shore. Buy it and have some fun.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting. Now I dont know much about having an rc boat because I've always had crawlers, tmaxx once. But do you think its find this way. Obviously I'll get the mods you mentioned before when I can afford. But you think right out of the box will be ok as long as I'm not hammering into it constantly and make sure water is flowing out of the port?
    https://www.rcsuperstore.com/traxxas...xoCUKEQAvD_BwE

RC Champion
    I can't speak on those specific batteries because I've never tried them but if you have the money and you want to add something different to rc-ing I would go for it, running rc boats is a blast.
    Just make sure you think over the retreival aspect if or when your boat flips or dies away from shore because at some point it will happen. A small inflatable or something similar and make sure you have a lifejacket, you can never be to safe. Buy it and have fun.

RC Champion
    Don't forget to pickup the sensors. I'ts all pretty staight forward to install and Traxxas and you tube have lots of videos to help out, check in their support section if you get stuck.
    TRA6520
    TRA6534
    TRA6541 unless your capable of adding a pos. wire to your battery with soldering, then you won't need this.
    TRA6521
    TRA6535
    TRA6511

Make sure that the boat is discharging cooling water at all times and let her eat. With the Castle ESC these boats run fine as long as you don't over prop it.
    37 Fightercat Shocker 10S
    Traxxas Spartan Stock

RTR boats all run hot unless you get a top of the line RTR boat which will cost you about three times more than 500 bucks. Running a stock Spartan on 6s will get you temps of 180 on your first run, and 200 on your second run...and that's just the outside temps. The inside temps are even hotter.

The general rule for longevity with most electronics is to keep the temps from 120 to 140 degrees. To do this with a Spartan you can do one of four things:

One, is to run your Spartan twice at a time. If you do this you'll see that your Spartan will hit 180 after the first run, 200 after the second run, and then you want to be done for the day. Doing so, will give you a safe 48 to 52 miles per hour.

Two, you can run your Spartan at 5s. Running 5s works well with these 6s rated 500 dollar RTR boats, but running a 5s setup is a little bit of a pain to get everything setup right. Doing so, however, will keep your temps at a reasonable range (about 160), and will give you an upper 40's to lower 50's miles per hour speed range.

Three, run dual cooling lines to separately cool your Spartan's motor and ESC, keep your wire length between your ESC and batteries to under 5 inches, and install a cap pack to your ESC. This will keep your temps at 120-ish degrees, and will get you between 52 to 58 miles per hour.

And lastly, you can change your ESC and motor to a better rated system. This would be a 180amp ESC and a 1600-1700kv motor along with a different more agressive prop selection. Doing this will get you into the upper 50's to the mid 60 miles per hour range with good longevity by keeping your temps between 120-140 degrees.

P.S. Spartan temps are in relation to operating in 85 water, and speeds are in relation to operating in calm water with winds under 5 miles per hour.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-12-2020 at 03:47 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.