RC poster

8s no slipper clutch, also very weak steering

Hi there
    I have a used (new to me) 8s xmaxx - stock as far as i can tell.
    It has no slipper clutch, "fixed"? Im use to seeing a slipper like my summit.
    Is it at all recommended to install one to save spur gears?
    They are expensive in Australia after all and take a while to get here, sacrifice in wheelies is okay in my opinion,
    Iv already upgraded to steel 54T.
    On another note, theres 1 or 2mm play on the shaft the spur gear sits on, is that normal? it can shift up or down the pole a little. But i believe it is normal. It seems to be where the peg is, that causes it.

Last thing,
    Very weak steering, i can have it full lock either way and its turning circle is huuuge, and worse the faster im going. On inspection infront of me, the steering looks great. Lift the front wheels and its got a huge amount of turn when i play with it. Put it back on the ground and drive it around it hardly moves.
    All parts around the steering are OK, no cracks, no broken poles, full movement lifted off ground. I have the trim setting all the way to the right, to have it centered (which cant be good)

thanks in advance, its awesome seeing some the rigs you guys are rocking out there.

Sorry if this has all been asked before, i couldn't find it.

RC Qualifier
    Slipper was on the 6s truck only

This servo setup is top quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    that IS top quality!
    the Savox, did it bolt straight in? or did it require some changes. I dont want to make any changes i cant un-do!

RC Qualifier
    You need to cut the front part of the chassis out. you need a standard adapter. And you need a 25t servo horn.

RC poster
    And candy? Are we macgyvering this thing?

RC Qualifier
    It comes from the seller

RC Qualifier
    Sold out right now But this is where I got it
    https://www.fatkidrc.com/collections...-servo-package

RC Enthusiast
    I just upgraded my 6S to 8S with ESC, Cush drive and center diff and 54T steel. Like a new truck even on 6S, wheelies anytime. Ill try 8S at some point but happy as is for now. Wouldn’t go back to a slipper. I had one on my old Erevo and was always fiddling with it.

RC poster
    Okay good advice on the slipper, Keep it where it is then.

Any thoughts on weak steering, besides replacing the server, those savox's arent cheap!

RC Qualifier

8s no slipper clutch, also very weak steering

You should make sure your steering links arenít bent and also make sure your saver is functional.

If there is wear on the saver where the right side spring pushes them together you should replace it. Plastic does the job for that.

It the steering links are bent aluminum is the best option and only runs you $25-30.

Also check the knuckles and c-hubs for popped out pins and clean them to make sure thereís no debris.
    These were mine

Make sure none of your bearings are seized.

RC poster
    Okay, sounds like i gotta pull it apart and dig into it

RC Qualifier

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Donít forget diffs, tires, and axles of your going to 8S.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newtothisgame View Post
    Hi there
    I have a used (new to me) 8s xmaxx - stock as far as i can tell.
    It has no slipper clutch, "fixed"? Im use to seeing a slipper like my summit.
    Is it at all recommended to install one to save spur gears?
    They are expensive in Australia after all and take a while to get here, sacrifice in wheelies is okay in my opinion,
    Iv already upgraded to steel 54T.
    On another note, theres 1 or 2mm play on the shaft the spur gear sits on, is that normal? it can shift up or down the pole a little. But i believe it is normal. It seems to be where the peg is, that causes it.

Last thing,
    Very weak steering, i can have it full lock either way and its turning circle is huuuge, and worse the faster im going. On inspection infront of me, the steering looks great. Lift the front wheels and its got a huge amount of turn when i play with it. Put it back on the ground and drive it around it hardly moves.
    All parts around the steering are OK, no cracks, no broken poles, full movement lifted off ground. I have the trim setting all the way to the right, to have it centered (which cant be good)

thanks in advance, its awesome seeing some the rigs you guys are rocking out there.

Sorry if this has all been asked before, i couldn't find it.
    Hi, cush drive is better than slipper clutch, the steel spurs better than composite ones. ŅHave you buy the 8S upgrade set?

RC Qualifier
    And a finally thing, to realign your steering trim you must take the servo horn off of the servo then recenter your transmitters steering trim and then power on the truck and the servo will center it self and then put the horn back in once centered.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Hi, cush drive is better than slipper clutch, the steel spurs better than composite ones. ŅHave you buy the 8S upgrade set?
    Howdy mate, its an 8s stock, so yeahh no upgrade just stock 8s

RC poster
    Hey overpower
    Yeah i continued looking around and found some people suggesting this. Its a little intimidating at first pulling apart a truck for the first time to that level, fair number bolts compared to my little slash.
    But i did exactly that and tightened the servo saver? Some bolt down the middle of some plastic,
    i dont think anything is seized as everything moves really well and smooth when infront of me.

RC Qualifier
    Yes thatís important to be fully tight
    Itís the screw below that bearing.
    My aluminum saver doesnít have that screw.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newtothisgame View Post
    Howdy mate, its an 8s stock, so yeahh no upgrade just stock 8s
    Well, I understand.