RC poster

Question GTR Shocks. I Need Help Please!

I have recently upgraded my Rustler VXL 4x4 with GTR shocks. I have also purchased two different rebuild kits that have different size bladders in them. One of the kits has the same size bladders that came with the shocks, while the other kit has bladders that are the same size in diameter but with a much deeper bulge. I would estimate that the larger of the two bladders is twice as deep. My question is what is the difference in performance between the two different size bladders? If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

RC Competitor
    I don't know for 100% accuracy but I'm thinking the deeper bladder might be so you could run less oil in the shock so it might be a little less weight if you raced with them. The lighter you can make the car (or truck) the faster it should be able to go. Their might be some kind of performance trade off. If you're just running it on the street (not racing competitively) I wouldn't use that bladder. I would think more oil in the shock would be better bashing\skate park\street racing stuff.

RC poster
    Ok, thank you. I never thought of it that way. I was thinking that since oil doesn't compress and that air does that that extra air in the bladder would allow the shock to compress more giving the shock a different kind of performance. Kind of like using different pistons. The shocks do feel like I have lighter shock oil than I do, but I also put in 4 hole pistons and the larger bladders. The suspension does feel very plush, although like you were saying I do agree the shocks need to be harder in order to take it off some jumps I just am not sure which way to get there. I am pretty new to RC so it can be a bit much when to decide on oil weight, pistons, bladders, springs and preload. I was thinking of going back to the smaller bladders, but I am really stuck as to what pistons to put in and the weight of oil. If you have any suggestions on what to do with the oil and pistons I would really appreciate it.

Best advice I can give is change one thing at a time. The spring is what holds the weight of the vehicle, pistons and oil control the action of the spring. Figure out what you want to achieve, and experiment changing one thing at a time. Note the differences and see if it moves you towards your goal or farther from your goal. Tuning can be a rabbit hole, I've been there.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    I've been out of the RC game for 20+ years. I just got back into it last year and now all the RC cars\trucks are like mini super cars with there speeds and options. So just try and experiment with it, see how it performs and works for you.

RC poster
    O.K. thank you guys for your help. I will just keep on trying new combos one thing at a time. I think we are all in the same boat anyway. That is half the fun though, until you drive yourself mad lol.