RC poster

T-Maxx 3.3 has been sitting too long. Where do I start with my tune up?

Picked this up years ago. Had fun with it and like an idiot I didn't run the fuel out of the engine. I have cleaned out what I can but I am looking for a tutorial or any guides on stripping the engine down to clean everything assuming that is possible. Any ideas on items I may need to replace due to it sitting?

Any help would be appreciated. I attempted using the search section but could not find a thread with that info....

Just find the parts explosion and take it apart. Clean it out with DA and q-tips, put ARO on all the moving parts after they are cleaned and put it back together.

Carb HSN/LSN, idle screw out, take the carb barrel out. The most annoying thing to get out is usually the crank case bearings, but if you wet them down with DA really well and spin them about to work the gunk out until they are clean, that should be good enough.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Just find the parts explosion and take it apart. Clean it out with DA and q-tips, put ARO on all the moving parts after they are cleaned and put it back together.

Carb HSN/LSN, idle screw out, take the carb barrel out. The most annoying thing to get out is usually the crank case bearings, but if you wet them down with DA really well and spin them about to work the gunk out until they are clean, that should be good enough.
    Do what he said, and when you put it back together give it some WD-40, be VERY careful not to damage the piston and cylinder sleeve, as you will loose compression if you do so.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

RC poster
    Thanks olds & trucker!!

Looking for the parts explosion....found that.

And excuse my ignorance but what is DA? Distilled alcohol?

And ARO?

Thanks again guys. Hoping to get this back into the yard. My front yard is a mess....very little grass and mostly dirt and rocks. Going to make a track since I have nothing else to do with it and I'm stuck in isolation. Plus I have another R/C I picked up for $25 last year that I'd like to get running as well.
    Last edited by FletchLives; 04-09-2020 at 11:15 AM.

denatured alcohol
    after run oil
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FletchLives View Post
    Thanks olds & trucker!!

Looking for the parts explosion....found that.

And excuse my ignorance but what is DA? Distilled alcohol?

And ARO?

Thanks again guys. Hoping to get this back into the yard. My front yard is a mess....very little grass and mostly dirt and rocks. Going to make a track since I have nothing else to do with it and I'm stuck in isolation. Plus I have another R/C I picked up for $25 last year that I'd like to get running as well.
    What RC is that? Good luck with the track.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

RC poster
    ACME Conquistador Nitro. I would upload a pic but I;m having a hard time finding out how to do that.

Regardless, it was a heck of a deal for $25. Ran perfectly last time I used it and I ran it dry. Did not put any ARO in it though but it has been stored in a dry space. Hoping it will run. Its a pull start with a glow plug. My son is old enough to drive it so he'll have fun with it.

RC poster
    Carb HSN/LSN, idle screw out, Take the carb barrel out?

Could you tell me what HSN/LSN stands for? I can figure the rest out. THanks for being patient. Trying to get everything figured out so I can get this up and running. Still need to buy a new battery unless anyone knows how to wake up a NIMH battery. Charger blinks once but it is not a power source issue and battery is dead.

High Speed Needle
    Low Speed Needle

RC poster
    Thanks grizzly. Was he referring to how to take the carb apart or do I need to lubricate these as well? Sorry I'm such a newb. I have experience tearing my Jeep apart but not RC cars.

I did get my RC pack to charge. I zapped it back to life. It was not charging and measured 0.02 volts. Pulled out a 300ma 12 volt charger and jumped it back to life. Just took about 5 seconds on charger and then I took it off. Now it reads 7 volts and is charging with my Traxxas charger. That saved my a few bucks.

Of course.....complete at your own risk.

Old's was telling you on what to take apart to clean the carb and to use a drop or two to lubricate when putting back together. If you remove the idle screw the carb barrel can be removed. Be careful there is a small spring under the blue seal.
    Have you tried to turn over the engine? Bearings locked up, gummed up?

RC poster
    Trying to charge the battery for the EZstart. But since it has been sitting I figured it would need a cleaning at the very least. Thanks for the further explanation Grizzly.

Seems my ACME RC is not pulling fuel into the fuel line when I try to pull start so that appears to need a cleaning as well.