Thread: Wheelie bar

RC poster

Wheelie bar

Hi,

I've got a simple question.
    What did you do to avoid body destruction caused by the wheelie bar?
    Pics are welcome!!

Thanks guys!

RC Racer
    I just decided to get the TBone Racing one...it's a lot more sturdy and won't destroy your wing like the stocker. That thing is worthless basically.

Some guys cut away the part who hang on with the body and it appear to solve the problem but they use a Dremel tool to achieve this.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    I just decided to get the TBone Racing one...it's a lot more sturdy and won't destroy your wing like the stocker. That thing is worthless basically.
    For sure it's one of the best solution. A bit expansive for me, I have to pay $10 more to cross atlantic and probably 20% import tax. I still think about it to have something clean.

Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    Some guys cut away the part who hang on with the body and it appear to solve the problem but they use a Dremel tool to achieve this.
    That's what I thougt when asking for an idea to avoid this 'issue', cheap DIY tips!

We could keep this thread to gather some DIY tips or/and list side brands offering an other wheelie bar design.
    Last edited by osmodiar; 04-09-2020 at 08:06 AM.

RC Competitor
    One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to put tape on the underside of the “Shell” to keep the paint from wearing (rubbing) off. I found Gorilla Glass clear tap worked the best. I took the plastic skeleton off and put tap all over the inside. I put a little extra on the back end & where the holes were for the screws to add a little more support to that area. I just used a sharp knife & cut the tape over the holes away. The skeleton went right back on. It was a little tighter but felt stronger over all and added just a little bit of weight to it. I'm not racing it so no real performance issues\losses.

RPM makes a replacement part for the wheelie bar that lets you use the Traxxas wheelie bar for the 2wd Rustler.
    Wheelie Bar Mount for the Traxxas Rustler 44 $ 9.95 SKU: 80962
    Quick Notes:
    – Add wheelie adjustability to your Rustler 44
    – Solidly mounted for stable wheelie performance
    – replaces stock Traxxas #6737 Bumper Mount & #6776 Wheelie Bar
    – Traxxas #3678 Wheelie Bar required (not included) for completion
    Link: https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/c...s-rustler-4x4/

Quote Originally Posted by osmodiar View Post
    We could keep this thread to gather some DIY tips or/and list side brands offering an other wheelie bar design.

Another good and cheap DIY (Do It Yourself) tip to save your body is to enduce the inside with a product called Flex seal, it's sold in black / clear and white, this product creates a plastic ruber like coating layout which makes the body almost indestructible but if ever you choose to go that way, it is necessary to apply it wisely and make sure to mask the area where the body slip into the lock notch as well as the body locker.

It's also possible to buy the RPM body saver to help distribute the impact shock of a larger portion of the body.

RC poster
    Would you please post the link to where you found this? I looked around but was having trouble finding it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes4 View Post
    Would you please post the link to where you found this? I looked around but was having trouble finding it. Thanks!

Many places sold this kit and the part reference number is (RPM 80632) https://www.ebay.com/itm/RPM-80632-B...UAAOSwhGRdTE~d

RC Enthusiast
    I felt that the stock wheelie bar was too high since the rustler was standing straight up and flipping sometimes. Since it is not adjustable I decided to remove the rear bumper mount from the chassis and flip it over. This required grinding some plastic from the mount to make it fit upside down. This lowered the wheelie bar 2 inches but the little wing that was above the wheelie bar looks like it might hit the ground when in a wheelie. I haven't tried it yet but I will just let it wear off or cut it off if it is a problem. This should eliminate it jamming under the body but it is still very flimsy.

RC Racer
    I just replaced the original body and installed the RPM wheelie bar mount. After several runs there is no body damage. It's also nice to be able to adjust the wheelie bar.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    I just replaced the original body and installed the RPM wheelie bar mount. After several runs there is no body damage. It's also nice to be able to adjust the wheelie bar.
    If you have the stock wheelie bar, does the RPM mount work with it? Or do you have to purchase the Traxxas part number they list for it?

RC Competitor
    No it doesn't work with it. The RPM bar lets you use the Traxxas Rustler 2WD wheelie bar. If you go the RPM link and look at the picture it looks like it uses the old mount just not the oval and wheelie bar.

Link: https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/c...s-rustler-4x4/