RC poster

traxxas 1717 vs castle 1717

Hey I have both versions of the 1717 motor . Castle version is in my early gen xo-1 and I have a spare traxxas 1717 . Visually on the outside the branding and cans are different . The traxxas has a sealed end at the output end vs the castle with a both ends being removable , motor wires are also different . I also have both the mamba monster extreme v1 and v2 that is waterproof . I'm sure that the escs are much the same apart from the fan on the v2 that plugs into the receiver . . any info would be handy .

RC Racer
    I can't remember where I heard it, but I either read or heard that the Castle version with the open end is more desirable. I don't remember why, it's been quite a while.

Maybe it had to do with heat dissipation, being open to air would probably allow a ever so slightly better temp?

Could be that it's a castle motor so it's a very nice motor and I think for a little while at the start of it, that the Traxxas in-house stuff was hit or miss, but I think it got worked out and the current brushless motors are of higher quality

I wonder why Traxxas dumped Castle as their brushless motor supplier. I always thought that the two were a pretty good match.
    Die a man, than live like a Traxxas unmentionable.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I wonder why Traxxas dumped Castle as their brushless motor supplier. I always thought that the two were a pretty good match.
    All other factors aside, money being the primary motivation behind any changes in business arrangements, the chronic out of stock status of castle products is one good reason to not rely on them if one is running a company that wants to sell a lot of cars.

They use to not be hard to get, but I guess things can change. I haven't had to work with them in quite a "while" (their products always had good reliability, plus, I haven't rebuilt anything here lately), but, I always liked dealing with them. It would be a shame if they were going down hill.
    Die a man, than live like a Traxxas unmentionable.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    They use to not be hard to get, but I guess things can change. I haven't had to work with them in quite a "while" (their products always had good reliability, plus, I haven't rebuilt anything here lately), but, I always liked dealing with them. It would be a shame if they were going down hill.
    They are also being squeezed by the likes of HW Iím sure from profit margin side as well as supplier side, I wouldnít be surprised if they all have the same suppliers in China and once you get people used to buying stuff made in China, buying a motor/esc combo made there by a Chinese company doesnít seem so weird, then why bother paying for an American brand name. You can see the progression, Iím sure.

Traxxas Marshal
    It's probably a similar situation to the original E-Maxx and the Novak EVX (minus the recall of the original Traxxas product, of course). I'm sure at some point, Traxxas decided it would be cheaper/easer/etc. to simply produce their own product vs. relying on another brand.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    It's probably a similar situation to the original E-Maxx and the Novak EVX (minus the recall of the original Traxxas product, of course). I'm sure at some point, Traxxas decided it would be cheaper/easer/etc. to simply produce their own product vs. relying on another brand.
    True that, It’s always cheaper to not have to pay a third party for licensing if you can source it yourself