Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14

    traxxas 1717 vs castle 1717

    Hey I have both versions of the 1717 motor . Castle version is in my early gen xo-1 and I have a spare traxxas 1717 . Visually on the outside the branding and cans are different . The traxxas has a sealed end at the output end vs the castle with a both ends being removable , motor wires are also different . I also have both the mamba monster extreme v1 and v2 that is waterproof . I'm sure that the escs are much the same apart from the fan on the v2 that plugs into the receiver . . any info would be handy .

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posts
    104
    I can't remember where I heard it, but I either read or heard that the Castle version with the open end is more desirable. I don't remember why, it's been quite a while.

    Maybe it had to do with heat dissipation, being open to air would probably allow a ever so slightly better temp?

    Could be that it's a castle motor so it's a very nice motor and I think for a little while at the start of it, that the Traxxas in-house stuff was hit or miss, but I think it got worked out and the current brushless motors are of higher quality

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,724
    I wonder why Traxxas dumped Castle as their brushless motor supplier. I always thought that the two were a pretty good match.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I wonder why Traxxas dumped Castle as their brushless motor supplier. I always thought that the two were a pretty good match.
    All other factors aside, money being the primary motivation behind any changes in business arrangements, the chronic out of stock status of castle products is one good reason to not rely on them if one is running a company that wants to sell a lot of cars.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,724
    They use to not be hard to get, but I guess things can change. I haven't had to work with them in quite a "while" (their products always had good reliability, plus, I haven't rebuilt anything here lately), but, I always liked dealing with them. It would be a shame if they were going down hill.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    They use to not be hard to get, but I guess things can change. I haven't had to work with them in quite a "while" (their products always had good reliability, plus, I haven't rebuilt anything here lately), but, I always liked dealing with them. It would be a shame if they were going down hill.
    They are also being squeezed by the likes of HW Iím sure from profit margin side as well as supplier side, I wouldnít be surprised if they all have the same suppliers in China and once you get people used to buying stuff made in China, buying a motor/esc combo made there by a Chinese company doesnít seem so weird, then why bother paying for an American brand name. You can see the progression, Iím sure.

  7. #7
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    38,068
    It's probably a similar situation to the original E-Maxx and the Novak EVX (minus the recall of the original Traxxas product, of course). I'm sure at some point, Traxxas decided it would be cheaper/easer/etc. to simply produce their own product vs. relying on another brand.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    It's probably a similar situation to the original E-Maxx and the Novak EVX (minus the recall of the original Traxxas product, of course). I'm sure at some point, Traxxas decided it would be cheaper/easer/etc. to simply produce their own product vs. relying on another brand.
    True that, It’s always cheaper to not have to pay a third party for licensing if you can source it yourself

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    All other factors aside, money being the primary motivation behind any changes in business arrangements, the chronic out of stock status of castle products is one good reason to not rely on them if one is running a company that wants to sell a lot of cars.
    Castle HQ is like 5 miles from me. Everything comes from China and is currently on back-order. I was going to support them but I can't if I can't buy anything. :x

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,724
    You must live in Olathe, Kansas. I use to go there, back when I worked for the airlines, for system training at King (now called Allied Signal). There use to be this racing place where you could drive these replica F1 cars back in the 90's. We used to have a lot of fun there.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier kzsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    norcal
    Posts
    336
    i have some spare motors . ill check brand ............ steve
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    101
    I did open up both a castle 1717 and Traxxas version. Quite different in the part of the rotor that holds the magnets is aluminum on Castle version and plastic on the Traxxas. Same iwith the 1515 versions. Was quite the surprise to me.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,724
    That doesn't surprise me. Not to beat up on Traxxas, but their motors and ESC's (the ones they don't/didn't rebrand) has always come across (to me) as being lighter duty than Castle and Leopard.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    That doesn't surprise me. Not to beat up on Traxxas, but their motors and ESC's (the ones they don't/didn't rebrand) has always come across (to me) as being lighter duty than Castle and Leopard.
    Perhaps itís just me but seems like since traxxas especially the 1/10 cars are marketed to both hobbyists as well as entry level people using Nimh batteries, the escs especially canít be that high performance else it will kill all the nimh packs out there.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,724
    In 2009, when I first got back into RC, I used Nimh batteries with my Emaxx, and didn't have any problem with them. They would really get hot, though, compared to when I finally made the jump to Lipo's. The only time I ever had a problem with Nimh batteries was when I got my Spartan. My Spartan would eat up my Nimh's big time.

    It's not the ESC's that can be tuff on batteries. It's the brushless motors that can be hard on them. The motor is the component that determines the current needed, the ESC controls the current to the motor, and the batteries supply the current to be controlled. Brushless motors can do a lot more work than a brushed motor, but they also need a lot more current to do that extra work that they can do.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-29-2020 at 05:13 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    In 2009, when I first got back into RC, I used Nimh batteries with my Emaxx, and didn't have any problem with them. They would really get hot, though, compared to when I finally made the jump to Lipo's. The only time I ever had a problem with Nimh batteries was when I got my Spartan. My Spartan would eat up my Nimh's big time.

    It's not the ESC's that can be tuff on batteries. It's the brushless motors that can be hard on them. The motor is the component that determines the current needed, the ESC controls the current to the motor, and the batteries supply the current to be controlled. Brushless motors can do a lot more work than a brushed motor, but they also need a lot more current to do that extra work that they can do.
    Perhaps I have a backwards way of looking at it, I understand the motor being the one demanding the current, but as a part of a system, the motor will pull as many amps as it can as long as the esc can supply it, I always viewed the esc as the “fuse” of sorts on how much the battery is being demanded to supply before the esc cuts out. The castle 1717 motors can pull a lot more amps at higher voltage than what the MM2/Extreme can reliably run, the performance bottleneck seems to exist with the velineon 3500/vxl-3s system too, the vxl-3s is usually viewed as the first one to cry uncle from overheating before the 3500kv motor gets too hot.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,724
    I always viewed the esc as the “fuse.”
    The ESC will certainly act like a fuse if a person uses a motor that needs more current than what a ESC can control, that's for sure. Like I say, the motor (and its' gearing) sets the need of what the ESC and batteries need to supply. When selecting a system for a RC vehicle, first, you pick a motor that will properly do the work of moving the weight (mass, if you want to be more scientific) of your RC.

    Then you pick an ESC that will let you control your motor by giving it what it needs, when it needs, and when you want it to need. Then you pick your batteries (a reservoir of energy) that will supply your system (motor and ESC) with enough electrical energy for them to do what you want the weight of your RC to do.

    It's important to know, that the weight of your RC, and the motor you choose, sets the stage for the current needs of what your ESC and batteries will need to supply for the motor to do its' job of changing electrical energy (batteries) into mechanical ability (the moving of weight).

    Remember, the motor is what does the work. Therefor, it's the component that needs the current that has to be supplied. The batteries supplies the energy (current), and the ESC lets you control the current (the control of the transformation of electrical energy into mechanical ability) which allows you to control the moving of the weight of your RC vehicle.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-30-2020 at 05:06 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •