RC poster

Question Recommendations for Bandit VXL Upgrades?

Hey everyone, I recently pulled out my Bandit VXL and started to work on it again and have made a few adjustments to it.

I have installed new aluminum shocks, fixed up the transmission gears to work again, and have new transmission gears(a day after i fixed the plastic gears for the second time, they wore out again so I ordered hardened steel ones) and a new shell coming by next week. I also have two sets of wheels, one for street and one for rally/off-roading.

I'm looking for recommendations on what to do next, as I'm trying to get the most out of my car(this is my only working R/C car). I also have have an old Rustler chassis that has been stripped for wheels and shocks but has all remaining working parts, except the engine is basically melted on the inside.

Thanks!!

RC Racer
    Rubber wheelie bar tires are very nice upgrades. If you look in your parts manual in the suspension area it will tell you which upgrade shocks will fit. Steel driveshaft yokes are nice as well. Thank you for your service as a Bandit owner.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

RC poster
    Awesome, thank you so much! I didn't know if the steel yokes were a pointless add-on but now i know they are not.

After installing a good set of shock, usually we want to get out the best of it, so the best way to squeeze more performance of the setup, is to adjust it to the best way possible. Some good recommendations should be to change the shocks oil to a higher viscosity grade and to be on the target, it's recommended the use of 40 for the front and 35 at rear but it would be a good idea to go on Youtube, just to make sure that the job could be well done, also I recommend moving the front / rear bottom shocks position to the outside hole, this will lower the front / rear ride height and usually will give a better front handling with less understeer on soft and medium hard surfaces. Another tip that will make a notable difference is to setup the shocks stiffness to end up having the tabs level to the ground but with the Rustler or Bandit it's better having a negatif tabs angle to the front and a positif tabs angle for the rear, with the font a little lower than the rear, it helps to correct the Rustler / Bandit understeer characteristic. Now for the parts that could be upgraded, the Traxxas tabs are really strong but I find them on the heavy side and when we have less suspending mass on the suspension, the acceleration factor of the motion weight increase and that makes the suspension work better in every conditions, therefore it's possible to install a Protrack suspension kit with the mached bearing carriers and castor blocks, personally I prefer the use of the Proline Protrack kit everywhere with the use of hardened carbon steel STRC king pins but most of the guys here better like to use aluminum bearing carriers and castor blocks, which is not a bad choice too..! You could also invest in a large bumper to protect the steering setup, T-bone and RPM make very good protective bumpers. Ok for the shock towers now, I use the Xtreme Racing carbon towers, I really like it because instead of the aluminum ones, they lower the center of gravity of the vehicle and they are almost indestructible.

Needeless to say that when we rebuilt a transmission and no matter what they look like, we have also to replace all of the bearings.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 04-09-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...