RC Enthusiast

Keeping the front end down!

Has anyone tried any front wing options or anything else to keep a bandit/rustler from wheeling easily.

I have a wheelie bar and have lowered the front end as much as possible in stock configurations already but even with a gradual increase in acceleration it will eventually pull a wheelie even at top speed...

As a side note too has anyone tried the tall offset wheel hexes on the back of a rustler for wider rear stance?

RC Champion
    How do you have it geared?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    25/83 stock rustler vxl gearing, also tires are 4.07" pro line dirt hawg original tire size is 4.3" so it should actually be slightly undergeared

RC Enthusiast
    Forgot to mention it already has an oversized battery with the esc raised to accept it as well as a swap to a bandit body instead of rustler

RC Champion
    Is the battery as far forward as it can go?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightwolfe View Post
    As a side note too has anyone tried the tall offset wheel hexes on the back of a rustler for wider rear stance?
    I use the tall hex (front wheels) in the rear of one of our rustlers. Itís a pretty subtle difference, maybe 10mm wider per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    A lcg slash chassis conversion would change things up
    Love a Rustler for what it it is = wheelie happy machine

Enjoy what you do
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    A lcg slash chassis conversion would change things up
    Love a Rustler for what it it is = wheelie happy machine

Enjoy what you do
    Would a bandit body still be able to fit?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Is the battery as far forward as it can go?

Yes, its slightly oversized so it actually almost is a friction fit in the tray

RC Champion
    Associated and TLR make front wings for their buggies. Maybe you could modify one of those to fit on the front of yours to keep the front end down

RC Qualifier
    Front offset tires on rear yes. I do it all the time. You gain 13mm or so each side.
    I’ve stuck up to a ounce of lead in the bulkhead to help keep the front down.
    Lastly, an RPM bumper + a bit of sheet alum = front wing.
    I made a bunch back in my 1/4 mile oval days. Also some Lexan ones.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    Front offset tires on rear yes. I do it all the time. You gain 13mm or so each side.
    Iíve stuck up to a ounce of lead in the bulkhead to help keep the front down.
    Lastly, an RPM bumper + a bit of sheet alum = front wing.
    I made a bunch back in my 1/4 mile oval days. Also some Lexan ones.
    I've heard of flipping a front bumper upside down so it points down instead of up, I can't remember if it was the rpm bumper though. Is this what you did?

By installing a wheels offset at the rear, it will increase the lever effect at the rear suspension and it will be compress even more and this will induce more weight transfer to the rear end, with the consequence of relieving the front end and consequently it will pull out wheelies much more easily, there are many reasons why Traxxas has designed the rear stance narrower than the front one and one of them was to help to keep the front tires to the ground. Another thing which helps to reduce wheelies is to install 5/32 (3.9mm) front shocks length restrainers inside the shocks body just under the pistons, this keeps the front lower during acceleration and reduces greatly the rear weight transfer but also gives a tremendous difference with the front handling.

I know some of the explanations here might not be clear to everyone, however if you need some clarifications, just feel free to reply.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 04-11-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    By installing a wheels offset at the rear, it will increase the lever effect at the rear suspension and it will be compress even more and this will induce more weight transfer to the rear end, with the consequence of relieving the front end and consequently it will pull out wheelies much more easily, there are many reasons why Traxxas has designed the rear stance narrower than the front one and one of them was to help to keep the front tires to the ground. Another thing which helps to reduce wheelies is to install 5/32 (3.9mm) front shocks length restrainers inside the shocks body just under the pistons, this keeps the front lower during acceleration and reduces greatly the rear weight transfer but also gives a tremendous difference with the front handling.

I know some of the explanations here might not be clear to everyone, however if you need some clarifications, just feel free to reply.
    Thanks for the info, with the 2wd rustler and bandit chassis having no sway bar option I have been considering pulling my shocks apart and limiting the downward travel using the fuel line method, also was thinking about using the rpm upward travel limiters but putting the inside the shock tube instead. Have you tried them before?

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/s...ps-for-shocks/

This is the url to those parts

RC Racer
    Try a Lipo Lock front bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightwolfe View Post
    Thanks for the info, with the 2wd rustler and bandit chassis having no sway bar option I have been considering pulling my shocks apart and limiting the downward travel using the fuel line method, also was thinking about using the rpm upward travel limiters but putting the inside the shock tube instead. Have you tried them before?

Personally I have never used the RPM travel limiters and I prefer the use of neoprene tubing (the black one) cause rubber like limiter absorb most of the shocks rebound energy and during acceleration this tends to avoid some of the vibrations to the front end. Also if you use your ride on the street only, it's possible to go with a set of shocks limiter length up to 6 mm and still have a race sag of about 3 mm on the shocks rods, this is the minimum needed to somehow provide a functional operation of the suspensions. However if someone plans to ride this setup for an off road use, in most conditions we can observe a wild operation of the suspension.

Another tip which greatly helps to reduce the weight transfer is to ride with a 2.2 wheels setup, this provides a lower COD and less overall weight but also reduces the air resistance.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 04-12-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC poster
    isn't that why we install wheelie bars? Unless you're already at speed when you pop up the front, a wing probably won't do a whole lot for you.

RC Competitor
    As soon as I changed to speed tires and lowered mine stopped wheelies

RC Competitor
    Throw some automotive sticky weights on the front bulkhead. .5 ounce should be enough, level back up with some shock spacers.
    Too many Traxxas R/C's to put in here...

Has anybody ever run 2.2Ē stadium truck wheels/tires? Smaller diameter obviously, but would that tend to wheelie less?