RC poster

Smoking 550 motor

Hey all,
    I have recently replaced the speed control in my Stampede 2WD. I was running it yesterday and the motor started smoking and seemed much slower. Has anyone else had this experience or have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Traxxas Marshal
    If your motor started smoking, it's likely toast. It's time for a new motor.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Yeah, brushed motors are basically disposable items. Good thing the Titan 12T only costs about $20. Might as well keep a spare handy.

If you go brushless, and don't overheat the motor, it will basically last forever.

How old was the motor that started smoking?

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Yeah, brushed motors are basically disposable items.
    Yes, closed endbell motors like the 12T Titan are disposable. There was a time when rebuildabe brushed motors were the best there was, but that day has long passed. We used to replace the brushes, tune the motors with different springs, cut the comms. on a lathe, etc. A part of me really misses those days, to be honest. But I enjoy tinkering with stuff like that, and have a lathe to maintain my own motors.

That said, with proper break in and maintenance, closed endbell motors can last for a decent amount of time. You just need to keep them clean and properly lubricated...and avoid overheating them, of course.

RC poster
    Is there a better replacement at a similar price that will last longer. My boys were playing yesterday and had a 55012t start smoking. This is about the third run for this motor after the original one had an electrical issue. Not looking for speed/performance but durability.

I'd rather not go brushless, but may be willing to at a decent cost. For someone just starting knowing what's what and what interchangeable is difficult.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyish View Post
    Not looking for speed/performance but durability.
    Staying brushed? Stinger 20t is your motor. Not as fast but lasts twice as long (imo).

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/motors/stinger
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

Traxxas Marshal
    The Stinger can run for a while, but it does run HOT. Gearing with a Stinger is important. If my memory serves, stock gearing on the old Stinger equipped Stampedes was 18/87. (It has been a while, though, so I could be mistaken.)

RC Qualifier
    I’m impressed they ( Traxxas ) still has old stingers on the site for new purchase.
    Then again, the reproduction Tamiya kits still come with a silver can motor, so not too surprised I suppose.
    But to the original poster 2 tips for keeping cost and maintenance down :
    If you want a direct replacement for the Titan, you can check “kit breakers” RC dealers like Jenny’s the motor will be well under $20 from them ( when they have them in stock ) or around $20 from a normal online or local hobby shop.
    In terms of being intimidated by brushless, sites like Banggood have cheap brushless combos as low as $40 for a 60A esc and 540 sized motor appropriate for 1/10 2wd Stampede. (( Flysky and GoolRC are some of the popular “cheap” brands. I know severa people on here have used them )

If you decide to stay brushed, maintenance on the Titan can keep it running a pretty
    Long time. Try to break in a new one by running at 1/3-1/2 throttle for a battery pack to wear in the brushes.
    I usually clean out my brushed motors by spraying CRC electrical contact cleaner in the vents around the end bell and lubing the bushings with 3 in 1 oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Iím impressed they ( Traxxas ) still has old stingers on the site for new purchase.
    There are still new models that use the Stinger. The Blast for example: https://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/blast

RC poster
    So I toasted a Titan recently and bought a replacement. We're running our rustler on our neighborhood street and in my yard. The tires are wearing and the bearings have to be due to be replaced. The new Titan started smoking a little at the end of its first full session (the kids ran it pretty hard). As soon as I spotted the smoke, we shut it down, let it cool down and it still runs. I haven't opened up the throttle again though.

My questions are - did I miss a memo about breaking in the motor? and - are the bearings and tires contributing to heating the motor?

Thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyjdavis View Post
    So I toasted a Titan recently and bought a replacement. We're running our rustler on our neighborhood street and in my yard. The tires are wearing and the bearings have to be due to be replaced. The new Titan started smoking a little at the end of its first full session (the kids ran it pretty hard). As soon as I spotted the smoke, we shut it down, let it cool down and it still runs. I haven't opened up the throttle again though.

My questions are - did I miss a memo about breaking in the motor? and - are the bearings and tires contributing to heating the motor?

Thanks
    I mean anytime you have more wear and play, it causes inefficient and slower running, which prompts you to pull the trigger harder which prompts the motors to wear out. Ball bearings will definitely help this, also, if you stay with bushings make sure you replace the stub axle carriers every once in a while. Really helps with wheel wobble. On the motor break in, its all opinion. Some swear by it others swear against it, but I stand in the middle. I take it easy on the first 3 battery packs but I have found the tiny difference in performance is not worth the loss in durability. This is simply my opinion on the matter. I have never broken in my stingers or titans and they both last a long while and gave more than satisfactory performance! Do as you will with this information.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyjdavis View Post
    are the bearings and tires contributing to heating the motor?
    If you're still on your original stock set of Rustler tires, then I can't imagine the bearings need to be replaced yet. The stock rustler tires, with their miniature rubber nubs, are really meant for a soft dirt racetrack. They don't last very long no matter what you drive on. You can wear the stock tires bald in a single day running on something like the street.

Unless you are running through muddy water, salt water, or sand every day, then bearings should be able to last years. Of course, if your model came with bushings, then they were ready to be replaced even before you broke the shrinkwrap on the box. Bushings suck. There is no advantage to using bushings except that they are cheap and allow Traxxas to bring down the price on certain models.