Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10

    Rustler transmission problems

    Has anyone had problems with the planetary gears in the rustler, I have the XL-5 I have the hot racing differential installed. I ran the car 3-4 times and the gears completely got destroyed. Probably doesnít help that I am running it on a 2S Lipo. Any information helps

  2. #2
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,918
    What sort of lube did you use when you assembled your diff? I've had the planetary gears fail occasionally, but it's not a common occurrence (for me).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,685
    Are the plastic or steel in the XL-5. Ice destroyed many but never on 2S.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    What sort of lube did you use when you assembled your diff? I've had the planetary gears fail occasionally, but it's not a common occurrence (for me).
    The guys at the hobby shop told me to use team losi racing diff grease. What do you recommend using

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Are the plastic or steel in the XL-5. Ice destroyed many but never on 2S.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are metal, is there any “upgraded” gears out there or something that is stronger, I know there is the diff locked hub by hot racing but from what I saw that seems to be a weaker set up. And I feel like once I go brushless they are gonna be destroyed as soon and I squeeze the trigger

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    841
    Everyone has had this problem for many years, Just buy the FLM super transmission and never worry again, best thing I ever did imho, it is expensive though, I just so tired of breaking them , they are just too brittle, they hold up with a low power setup but not 3 or 4 s , good luck

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Everyone has had this problem for many years, Just buy the FLM super transmission and never worry again, best thing I ever did imho, it is expensive though, I just so tired of breaking them , they are just too brittle, they hold up with a low power setup but not 3 or 4 s , good luck
    Thank you. Does the diff come with different gears in that transmission?

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    187
    A few question to get the picture clear.

    - you use 2S lipo's ?
    - you have a brushed system ?

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    841
    the diff uses the slash 4x4 gears , they are bunch bigger and stronger

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    A few question to get the picture clear.

    - you use 2S lipo's ?
    - you have a brushed system ?
    Yes I have 2S and a brushed system

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    the diff uses the slash 4x4 gears , they are bunch bigger and stronger
    Okay thank you

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlegelbagel View Post
    Yes I have 2S and a brushed system
    I'm suprised that it broke with a brushed setup on 2S.

    Me and my son are driving our Rustlers for 3 years now, brushless on 2S and since last year on 3S.
    We never had a problem with planetary gears, we still have the stock gearbox.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    656
    I'm surprised you are having issues with the planetary gears, I've been a Bandit owner since about 1996/97 shortly after its release. I've never had the diff gears fail and I've even raised a Bandit for years with a 9T brushless motor and 2S.


  14. #14
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlegelbagel View Post
    The guys at the hobby shop told me to use team losi racing diff grease. What do you recommend using
    I'd imagine that stuff is fine. I typically use whatever grease I have in the grease gun for unsealed diffs (often marine grease).

    You don't want a diff locker for general driving/bashing, by the way; those are really only best for crawling and the like.

    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    I'm suprised that it broke with a brushed setup on 2S.
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    I'm surprised you are having issues with the planetary gears, . . .
    It all just depends. I've had issues with mine on brushed systems, as well. Granted, it's an uncommon issue, but I have definitely had several sets fail over the years. Not enough to ever invest in something stronger, however.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    the diff uses the slash 4x4 gears , they are bunch bigger and stronger
    Okay thank you

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I'd imagine that stuff is fine. I typically use whatever grease I have in the grease gun for unsealed diffs (often marine grease).

    You don't want a diff locker for general driving/bashing, by the way; those are really only best for crawling and the like.

    It all just depends. I've had issues with mine on brushed systems, as well. Granted, it's an uncommon issue, but I have definitely had several sets fail over the years. Not enough to ever invest in something stronger, however.

    I have since went to a hobby shop was surprised to find one open with the covid-19. I put in the new planetary gears and they gave me the team associated 3000 diff fluid I have only ran it 2 times since. Obviously everything is still holding up and it seems to be driving a lot better but my motor overheated haha. Going off subject but any recommendations for a brushless set it? Was thinking going vxl or possibly an ez run system

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier RC Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    504

    Rustler transmission problems

    I have this combo in a Rustler. Itís real nice on 2-3s.

    https://www.amazon.com/38010200-Max1.../dp/B073DCT1X8

    Also, for that hot racing diff, you need at least 30k to have any noticeable driving feel over grease.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RC Dad; 04-28-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •