RC poster

Got my 6 year old a brushed summit

hello all. new ro the forms hear.

as the subject implies I just got my son a brushed summit. I have a Tmaxx 3.3 so not totally new to RC but battery are not my strong suit. I am looking to invest in a nice charger first and foremost. I need some suggestions for the best Nimh batteries to get him started. I will make the jump to lipo after the initial carnage of learning to drive is over. also going to get the parallel addapter looking for long run time. have 2 bats charge while one set is in use. any thoughts or suggestions please enlighten me.

How nice are you thinking for a charger? you can spend anywhere from chump change to 400+ on just the charger alone. If you want a charger that can do all types of batteries, including the Nimh packs in your maxx and the nimh and maybe lipo for your son's summit, a multi-chemistry charger is a must. Honestly I wouldn't buy any charger that wasn't multi chemistry.

And if you want a charger that will do all that, and last a lifetime, Id recommend any of the Icharger lineup, or Revolectrix lineup. Both are incredibly expensive, but are the end-all solution to charging. You also need a suitable power supply with them though, so keep in mind the cost of the charger is about half of the total setup you need to actually charge.

I myself use an Icharger 4010 Duo. Insanely smart, powerful, practical, and useful. I use to do big helicopters with 12s lipos, so I needed a beef charger to get the job done, but it does everything.

More practically, you might like the ISDT lineup of chargers. The quality is maybe a 3/5 in my opinion, I've used them and they work and do everything, but sometimes they just die prematurely. They are cheap though. I haven't charged many nimh batteries on those chargers, I think they were primarily designed as Lipo chargers, and the charging program for nimh installed on them is mediocre. So honestly, from nitro guy to nitro guy, I wouldn't recommend them for nimh batteries.

All that said, I have no experience with them first hand, but I think the new traxxas chargers are pretty nice, on paper at least. The control via the app, the ID stuff, no buttons, enough power for any rc car application, it may suit you best. Look at reviews though and see if it's right for you. I would probably buy the traxxas system if I didn't already have a god of a charging station probably.

Up to you really. I like the ichargers not only because I can literally charge at 2000W charge power, a total of 80A, 2 battery channels at once, regenerative charge and discharge, and way more, but because I like the data. I like to tinker with my charging settings, and change the values in the algorithms and stuff. Definitely not for everyone, but great stuff.

Hope this helps. Might get more feedback posting in the batteries area too, people can probably tell you about their experiences with the traxxas charging equipment.

Also, my brushed mini summit comes tomorrow hopefully, so I'm right there with ya!

-Mike

Traxxas Marshal
    The simplest setup would be a 1200mAh Ni-Mh from Traxxas (part number 2925X) and a compatible charger. If you think you'll go Li-Po down the road, getting a charger that handles both wouldn't be a bad idea. Traxxas does make a charger than can handle both Li-Po and Ni-Mh AND charge two packs at once (part number 2972).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Yeah any of the EZ peak chargers would probably serve you well. The non-live ones are much cheaper and would work pretty well.

-Mike