RC poster

Snap-On Ltd. ed. Factory Five GTM supercar

Hi every one.

Since there is no info about this Traxxas model, let me tell you what i found:

- Wheel base is longer than the regular 4tec 2.0 or VXL version, so other Traxxas bodys won't fit. (300mm VS 256 for the regular model).

- Radio is a TQ not TQI and without TSM. (Bluetooth connection is not possible with the TQ)

- Speed control is not the HC version of the XL5 meaning it will only holds 8.4V max, but has 2S lipo. capability with low voltage detection.

- No aluminum nor steel turnbuckles.

- Supplied with a 8.4V Nimh ID battery and charger.

This model looks amazing, but body, wheels, frame, drive shaft and some other parts are not available for sale as spare parts from Traxxas

So if you intend to drive this marvel, don't scratch or breake it.

Conclusion, everything is in the body and wheels with this version for the rest it's basic, basic stuff

Here is what i'm gonna try:

- XL5 HC speed control and Titan 550 combo with an high gear set up since a want to use a 11.1V lipo. battery (if not enough i'll put a VXL in it).

- Upgrade for a TQI/TSM radio system

- Turnbuckles steel on aluminum

- Upgraded shocks

etc...

TQI/TSM and XL5 HC should have comme with it from start.
    GTM Supercar - TRX4 - TRX6 - Traxx - UDR

RC poster
    Other infos:

First let me correct ''breake'' for break

Final gear ratio is different:

GTM stock gearing ratio: 48P, 18T pinion and 72T spur = (11.40)

Standard 4tec 2.0 (non VXL) stock gearing ratio: 48P, 21T pinion and 70T spur = (9.50) - Optional: 48P, 25T pinion and 70T spur = (7.98).

As a result:

GTM is slower than the standard 4tec 2.0 with stock gearing???

RC Racer
    Why upgrade the ESC to a XL5-HC ?

The brushed titan 550 12T can't take 3S, only 2S.
    "Titan 12T motors are intended for use in single motor and single battery pack applications, up to 8.4 volts"

RC poster
    Since they both are named ''Titan'' i must have specified Titan 21T. That's why i installed the XL5 HV 3S.

I can't find any info about the respective Rpm/volt of those two motors, but i'm hoping to compensate the lost in rpm of the 21T with the 2.7V added in extra and the optional. standard 4tec 2.0 gearing of 25/70T. I may be able to load more with the extra torque of the 21T. On the theorical side it's holding, we'll see in practice if it was worthed.
    Last edited by superblackbird; 04-19-2020 at 07:51 AM.

RC Racer
    The 21t Titan is used for the TRX-4 line up (crawlers - trail trucks).
    They have torque, don't know if they can give you the speed you'll want.
    Keep us updated !

RC poster
    Exactly the post I’m looking for! Created an account because I also won a GTM car (I do have multiple other brands but this is my first Traxxas.) Are you sure the actual chassis is different and not just the bulkheads? I’ve started building mine for 6s (because I have a spare esc and motor and why not). The big issue I have with this car is that nothing was stated on what the car actually is or have a list of compatible parts.

RC poster
    100% sure. Both brushed and VXL version have a shorter frame and some other parts are different...
    Last edited by superblackbird; 04-19-2020 at 06:58 PM.

RC poster
    I won a GTM from snap-on as well my first rc car ever. I've smashed and abused the heck out of it. I've roasted through the original tires so I ended up putting in the following upgrades;
    1. Bushless 3500
    2. Vxl-3s ESC
    3. Hot Racing steel 62t spur (stock 21t pinion)
    4. Hot Racing adjustable motor mount
    5. Traxxas steel driveshafts on all four corners (used the upgraded ones for 4 tec)
    6. 3s Lipo 5000mah 11.v battery.
    7. Traxxas X-tra wide rear tires (unfortunately they turned out to be much smaller in width and diameter than the Snap-on wheels that came with the car)
    8. Traxxas Front response tires.

Cons of this that I have found so far are;
    1. ESC mounting holes don't quite match up and I'm struggling to find proper screws to mount it so it's some what loose.
    2. The driveshaft rubs the ESC but I believe if I could find the proper screws then this won't happen, I have shaved some of the extra plastic off of the ESC body which helps, but the having only one screw thing really doesn't help.

There isn't much traction as you can imagine so I don't think I'll ever hit the speeds that it could probably be capable of due to limited stretches and traction issues. It is actually super responsive on tennis courts though. The white booklet with the explosion parts view will tell you exactly what parts are different from the 4tecs. In the pictures they will say "Call" next to the picture instead of a part number from what I have found.

My roommate won the old school 35 truck and had to call Traxxas to get parts. The man on the phone said if they had the parts they would send them to him. He ended up getting his two parts in like 6 or 7 days free of charge. The guys said it was unlikely they had them but apparently they did since he got them.
    Last edited by Kakarot; 04-19-2020 at 08:43 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by superblackbird View Post
    100% sure. Both brushed and VXL version have a shorter frame and some other parts are different...
    Man that sucks. I might have to dig into it and pick up all the normal 4tec parts and just shelf the other parts for some Frankenstein build. Thanks for the info.

RC poster
    If std. 4tec wheels are smaller in diameter that would explain why the GTM gear ration is higher because of the taller wheels...

Wow! Even the wheel size is different. Thats scalling, but limitate options.

RC poster
    Following the wheel size track ...

GTM wheel diameter: Frt. 58 mm. / RR. with tire 73 mm. - Regular or VXL: Frt. 53 mm. / RR. with tire 66 mm.
    GTM tire width: Frt. 27 mm. / RR. 32 mm. - Regular or VXL: Frt. 26 mm. / RR. 30 mm.

This model is very surprising ...
    Last edited by superblackbird; 04-21-2020 at 06:48 PM.

RC poster
    Another hint, stock gearing: 18/72 with 12T motor and XL5 speed control (non HV capable)...

RC Competitor
    How's the project going?