RC Racer

Brand New Nitro Sport! Upgrades???

Just picked up my brand new Nitro Sport for about $270 from JEGS. I have 7 years in electric experience and I own 1 Bandit, a couple Rustys; XL-5 and XL-1. Here's where my question comes in. Besides the usual (suspension, aluminum, bearings, etc) what is there to upgrade in the engine and exhaust itself? I am familiar with any upgrades that are compatible with electric; just not so much on the PRO .15. I do plan on upgrading to 2.5 when I get really good at tuning. Thanks a ton!

Yes I'm sure there is some thread from 2005 that covers this but the Nitro Sport section on this forum could use a little love.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

Traxxas Marshal
    Honestly, I'd just drive it and upgrade what you break (generally speaking). You can run a higher percentage of nitro fuel, for more performance. I always have run 33% Top Fuel, and never had any issues. Enjoy learning the ins and outs of nitro! Electrics are fun, but there's something special about fueling your truck up, getting a perfect tune, and letting her rip!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Yeah man, enjoy the nitro life, and practice tuning and getting it running perfect before changing stuff out. The reason a lot of folks get out of nitro is because of the "hassle", and that's usually people just being inexperienced, ignorant, or too lazy to take care of their nitro cars.

Learn the nitro quirks, learn the tuning, learn how to clean up and store it, burn through a few glow plugs, and you'll be having a blast in no time. I would advise against engine mods of any kind until you're 110% confident in knowing the tradeoffs that come with mods (especially engine mods) because even a bad exhaust pipe can make the car drive like junk. But if it doesn't have things like bearings all around, or needs a nice bumper, or better tires, by all means, get those things. Oh and get a temp gauge too, very useful when learning how to tune.

Good luck man, have fun, and burn some nitro!
    -Mike

RC Racer
    Yup, I got 8 tanks in her so far and I'm loving it. I am thinking about getting a smaller set of tires for on road use, the problem with the stock Rusty tires is they are so big and clunky, they cause you to flip over all the time. Other than that, just having fun and fine tuning.

You could try lowering the ride height of the whole car if you find yourself driving on the street a lot. I find myself driving my revo on the street a lot, so I put the ride height from the really high stock position to the medium, and I can still get around offroad, but it flips less on the street.

Remove some preload on the shocks, or put fuel tubing inside the shocks to limit their up travel, it'll handle way better on the street! Road tires would help as well. My old electric rusty was a street machine and I lowered it just a little, and it did great.

-Mike

RC Enthusiast
    +1 on picking one of these up on clearance and should be in later this week. Having electric slashes, 4x4 stampedes and ab CL rustler the first thing to go is the stock plastic caps for the ultra shocks. I assume that’s the same for the nitro sport? Once I did that and installed the coated shock shafts the ultras have done use very well.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashRunner80 View Post
    ... the first thing to go is the stock plastic caps for the ultra shocks. I assume that’s the same for the nitro sport? Once I did that and installed the coated shock shafts the ultras have done use very well.
    It depends, some people don't have issues with the stock caps. That said, aluminum caps are generally a good upgrade for the Ultra Shocks, in my experience, no matter which vehicle they are on.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    It depends, some people don't have issues with the stock caps. That said, aluminum caps are generally a good upgrade for the Ultra Shocks, in my experience, no matter which vehicle they are on.
    They already went out once. Hobby shop was out of stock of aluminum unfortunately, so I went plastic.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    They already went out once. Hobby shop was out of stock of aluminum unfortunately, so I went plastic.
    Bummer! Well hopefully those plastic caps tide you over until you can get your hands on some aluminum ones!