RC poster

Smile Best shocks for a slash 2wd.

I wanted to upgrade my shocks for my slash 2wd without going over $100. I like the idea of the proline power strokes but not really the price so what’s the best out there for under $100?

How much tuning have you done on the Ultra (stock) shocks?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Only have added spacers. The back just sags a lot wanted something a little stronger.

Sounds like you just need some stiffer springs and maybe to check that your rear suspension isn't binding in any way.

The stock shocks work just fine for most people. If you're jumping the plastic caps can pop off in which case just replace them with aluminium ones. If you're bending shafts a lot you can also upgrade these to hardened steel.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Sounds like you just need some stiffer springs and maybe to check that your rear suspension isn't binding in any way.

The stock shocks work just fine for most people. If you're jumping the plastic caps can pop off in which case just replace them with aluminium ones. If you're bending shafts a lot you can also upgrade these to hardened steel.
    Yup...

A lot of people are disappointed by new shocks because they add little improvement over the old shocks. The reason is without tuning, you are really getting nothing for your money. If you have tuned your current shocks to the point that you are still not getting the performance out of them, then I would recommend going for an upgrade.

Shock tuning = Springs, spacers/preload, oil, pistons, shafts, mounting positions.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carrob13 View Post
    I wanted to upgrade my shocks for my slash 2wd without going over $100. I like the idea of the proline power strokes but not really the price so what’s the best out there for under $100?
    I have 2 sets of PL shocks. They’re not all that, but I do like the screw adjusters.
    I did not pay retail. I wouldn’t pay that much for a slight performance advantage.
    The only reason I own them is other people who’ve shelled out their hard earned dollars,
    on “upgrades” and we’re sorely disappointed. They then give up and sell the truck cheap...
    Silly people, they should have learned to tune the truck, they work fine for me!

I am a huge fan of Traxxas Ultra shocks. They’re inexpensive and pretty tough.
    They are also easily tuned with a bit of knowledge and trial and error for you driving style.
    Bashing, drifting, on road and off road will have drastically different setups?
    What are you doing with your Slash?
    What’s the problem with the truck you trying to fix with new shocks?

Easiest first step for you should be increasing the weight of your oil.
    Stock 30wt is too light for most applications imo.

Try Stampede rear springs. It’s a lot cheaper than new shocks.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-25-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I have the PL shocks and wish I wouldn't have bought them because I don't notice a difference. I have Big Bore shocks on the other Slash. I don't notice a difference with those either, but they were cheaper.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Chevy View Post
    I have Big Bore shocks on the other Slash. I don't notice a difference with those either, but they were cheaper.
    The Big Bores are smoother than the stock Ultra Shocks, but the difference is small (especially if you're just a basher). I run aluminum caps and TiN shafts on many of my vehicles (with the Ultra bodies) with great success.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Big bore shocks may be a perfect match for the average slash. Smooth as silk, very tough, NEVER EVER LEAK. Unless your jumping super huge, they will take what you can give... And perform. Gtr shocks are next step up. Although I've never used proline shocks, peeps like them. Many tuning options available. My pick is the big bores unless your going really extreme.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Big bore shocks may be a perfect match for the average slash. Smooth as silk, very tough, NEVER EVER LEAK. Unless your jumping super huge, they will take what you can give... And perform. Gtr shocks are next step up. Although I've never used proline shocks, peeps like them. Many tuning options available. My pick is the big bores unless your going really extreme.
    Totally agree.

BBs have been on my LCG race Slash for about 6 years and I love them. They fit Losi 2.5" and 2" buggy springs perfectly too so the tuning options are extensive.

RC Qualifier
    Aren't the Losi buggy springs shorter than the SCT springs?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I don't have any Losi SCT springs so wouldn't know. The Losi 2.5" (rear) and 2" (front) springs are shorter than stock Rustler springs and allow the ride height to set appropriately for the track on an LCG chassis.

The stock progressive springs are a disaster on the track due to excessive body roll.