Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51

    New Here. New Project. Traxxas Monster Slash 2WD.

    New here, howdy. Here is my project as it comes along....

    Proline 2.8 Trenchers
    Proline Body mount extensions
    Intergy Alum Parts (RPM arms)
    Hot Racing Trans
    Hot racing diff (not installed)
    Hot racing ESC Fan VXL3
    Hot Racing Big Bore Shocks 90mm & 100mm
    Rpm Front/Rear Bumper
    MIP axles
    Lunsford Ti suspension
    Lunsford Ti front axles
    Lunsford Turn Buckles/Tie Rods (RPM ends)

    I've been out of the RC game for years, please feel free to let me know where you think the weak points will be. I'm curious and determined to get these HR products to work. some guys love em, some hate.

    It'll be run on a 3s Velenion 3500, the black HCG chassis will be here this week, along with the remaining misc parts that I could only get from traxxas' webiste.

    [IMG] [/IMG]

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,125
    Looks like a fun project. That truck is going to be a handful on 3s. Check your motor temps. I've heard the Velenion doesn't like 3s all that well.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Looks like a fun project. That truck is going to be a handful on 3s. Check your motor temps. I've heard the Velenion doesn't like 3s all that well.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    I'm opening minded to motor options. I just happen to own a 3s Zee 5200mah.

    Any suggestions? The brushless game is 100% new to me. back in the day I bashed a Duratrax Nitro Evader. Then got in to Losi Mini-T (brushed) and a couple associated buggies that were run stock but expensive LIPO batteries when they came out.

    I would still like some WOW factor.
    Last edited by aaronjohn; 04-20-2020 at 08:50 AM.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,090
    A 5200kv motor is tricky to get geared properly so it doesn't overheat with normal sized wheels, I don't think it will do well at all in a monster Slash.

    I would stay below 3500kv for a monster, and look at a motor around 2500kv. It also depends on if you want monster performance, as in instant wheelies. If so, then you'll want a low kv motor that is sensored.

    On to your list of parts I would add a temperature gun. Nothing fancy is needed, the $12 gun from Harbor Freight is perfect for RC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    A 5200kv motor is tricky to get geared properly so it doesn't overheat with normal sized wheels, I don't think it will do well at all in a monster Slash.

    I would stay below 3500kv for a monster, and look at a motor around 2500kv. It also depends on if you want monster performance, as in instant wheelies. If so, then you'll want a low kv motor that is sensored.

    On to your list of parts I would add a temperature gun. Nothing fancy is needed, the $12 gun from Harbor Freight is perfect for RC.
    I'd like it to be a fast slash with over-sized wheels, not necessarily monster truck style for the wheelies and stunts. DO you still recommend a 2500kv? Will I need sensored? what does a sensored motor accomplish?

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier rcdabbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Granite Falls, WA
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    A 5200kv motor is tricky to get geared properly so it doesn't overheat with normal sized wheels, I don't think it will do well at all in a monster Slash. (5200 was his battery capacity)

    I would stay below 3500kv for a monster, and look at a motor around 2500kv. It also depends on if you want monster performance, as in instant wheelies. If so, then you'll want a low kv motor that is sensored.

    On to your list of parts I would add a temperature gun. Nothing fancy is needed, the $12 gun from Harbor Freight is perfect for RC.
    Agree that it should be <3500kv for 2.8 wheels and running a 3S. However, it'd be cheaper to just buy a 2S than to upgrade the motor to fit the battery. Stampedes are only a little lighter than a Slash, and they have stock 2.8 wheels, and do fine with a 3500kv Velineon...running 2S. If you gear it lower than stock and run 2S, it'd probably do fine. BUT...if you want some "WOW" factor, then I'd suggest going ahead with a larger/lower kv motor (3660/550 size and under 3000kv) and running that 3S.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,090
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    Agree that it should be <3500kv for 2.8 wheels and running a 3S. However, it'd be cheaper to just buy a 2S than to upgrade the motor to fit the battery. Stampedes are only a little lighter than a Slash, and they have stock 2.8 wheels, and do fine with a 3500kv Velineon...running 2S. If you gear it lower than stock and run 2S, it'd probably do fine. BUT...if you want some "WOW" factor, then I'd suggest going ahead with a larger/lower kv motor (3660/550 size and under 3000kv) and running that 3S.
    Pretty well sums it up...

    Also, 2.8s love to pancake at higher speeds ( > 25mph), so you'll need to deal with that as well.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Pretty well sums it up...

    Also, 2.8s love to pancake at higher speeds ( > 25mph), so you'll need to deal with that as well.
    would this work for example: Ezrun Max10 SCT RTR 80A 1/10 3660 3200KV RC Brushless ESC Motor Combo

    Also: If ihave access to a VXL-3s ESC, can i pair that system with a <3500 motor that is not a velenion?
    Last edited by aaronjohn; 04-20-2020 at 11:54 AM.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier rcdabbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Granite Falls, WA
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjohn View Post
    would this work for example: Ezrun Max10 SCT RTR 80A 1/10 3660 3200KV RC Brushless ESC Motor Combo

    Also: If ihave access to a VXL-3s ESC, can i pair that system with a <3500 motor that is not a velenion?
    That Ezrun combo would probably work. As far as the VXL-3S is concerned, it's important to know how old it is, because it might not control a 4-pole motor. Have you had it since before 2012-2014(I can't remember exactly when the 4-pole Velineon system came out)? If it's less than a few years old, it's probably the 4-pole model and will probably work fine.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    That Ezrun combo would probably work. As far as the VXL-3S is concerned, it's important to know how old it is, because it might not control a 4-pole motor. Have you had it since before 2012-2014(I can't remember exactly when the 4-pole Velineon system came out)? If it's less than a few years old, it's probably the 4-pole model and will probably work fine.
    I'd love to buy right right combo for this machine. Something that compliments the thing but isn't wildly overpowered. I'll burn through some parts I'm sure.

    I'd love to FIND (i'm sure its been done) the perfect 3s setup for 2WD 2.8 tires.

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjohn View Post
    would this work for example: Ezrun Max10 SCT RTR 80A 1/10 3660 3200KV RC Brushless ESC Motor Combo

    Also: If ihave access to a VXL-3s ESC, can i pair that system with a <3500 motor that is not a velenion?
    I run that same combo in a 4x4 monster slash on 3S and it's pretty crazy compared the the VXL 3500, in a 2WD I think youd struggle to get the power to the ground unless you like doing burnouts

  12. #12
    RC Champion NYbandit33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjohn View Post
    I'd love to buy right right combo for this machine. Something that compliments the thing but isn't wildly overpowered. I'll burn through some parts I'm sure.

    I'd love to FIND (i'm sure its been done) the perfect 3s setup for 2WD 2.8 tires.
    Any updates? Id be interested in finding the same thing. I have a 2wd slash with 2.8 mx28 badlands and I run it with the VXL on 3s. I dont run it in a big huge area so it handles it ok. Im mostly interested upgrading the system in this so I can put the VXL in somthing else.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    51
    I ran 3s Castle Mamba 2400kv Short Course Edition. Blasted through 4 transmissions, wildly over powered but it was BAD TO THE BONE when it was going. insane fast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •